Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for a membership

• 23-05-2016 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was a long time member of Westmanstown golf club until I moved to New Zealand in 2009. I returned in 2014 and live in the city. I play in a few different golf societies but I would like to get back to having my own club.

ideally I am after a
    Parklands club
    Easy to drive from Dublin (for evening 9 hole games!)
    7 day membership
    Reasonable price
    Currently open for membership

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Comments

Balbriggan is only a short drive out the M1. If you are interested in more information let me know. It seems to meet the criteria you have set out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lmhall

where are you living now in Dublin as that will dictate the answer for 'easy to drive to for evening golf'.

what do you consider 'reasonable price' - price bracket?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭pmb

lmhall wrote: »
    where are you living now in Dublin as that will dictate the answer for 'easy to drive to for evening golf'.

what do you consider 'reasonable price' - price bracket?

You're right I probably should have made this clearer! I am just off Upper Baggot Street. In terms of cost, I would have hoped for the 1k-ish or under mark. If there is a payment plan however I could perhaps consider more

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lmhall

Can’t think of any offhand that would be considered city center within that price bracket – Rathfarnham/Edmonstown/Grange/The Castle/Milltown - which would be closest for you distance wise but can be ruled out for on price alone for 7 day membership. For under a grand you are probably looking at ‘’grange castle’’ or ‘’Elmgreen’’. After that - Castleknock for circa 1500 flexi (no joining fee) but that may be too far for you ? I’m sure other pinsters will have more options for you too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

are you young enough to qualify for the underage deals?

• Advertisement

Ollieboy wrote: »
    are you young enough to qualify for the underage deals?

29.... so not really. There are some under 35 deals I think though

lmhall wrote: »
    Can’t think of any offhand that would be considered city center within that price bracket – Rathfarnham/Edmonstown/Grange/The Castle/Milltown - which would be closest for you distance wise but can be ruled out for on price alone for 7 day membership. For under a grand you are probably looking at ‘’grange castle’’ or ‘’Elmgreen’’. After that - Castleknock for circa 1500 flexi (no joining fee) but that may be too far for you ? I’m sure other pinsters will have more options for you too.

Thanks for the info Imhall.

I think I will need to push my budget up to the 1500 mark which I don't mind doing alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

pmb wrote: »
    You're right I probably should have made this clearer! I am just off Upper Baggot Street. In terms of cost, I would have hoped for the 1k-ish or under mark. If there is a payment plan however I could perhaps consider more

Getting out of town at rush hour is not going to be easy no matter where you go. For the few months of the year that offer evening golf, I'm not sure it should be the key criterion. Castlenock has some good deals going and would be reasonably accessible via the canal. Bray might also be within reach and should be available in your price range.

pmb wrote: »
    29.... so not really. There are some under 35 deals I think though

you qualify at Corrstown for under 30's. you get it for the 30th year so you might still have 2 years on it.

I will get the price for you in the morning but full membership for this year was 600 for 29 year old and that usually drops to 1/2 come end of June. Will get full prices in the morning for you. We also have a stepping stone option from 30 to 32 which means you get a discount membership for 2 years after turning 30.

We have 27 holes so always easy to get out in the evening and near Dublin airport so access is good and lockers in the club for storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dotzie

Castlewarden has a great setup if your looking a little further out than Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Golf365

Slade Valley Golf Club is €600 to join for full 7 day membership. Drive up through Templeogue and out the Blessington Road !! We have a popular 9 hole competition on Wednesday Evenings . Give Dermot in the office a ring 014582183.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I think membership at Forest Little (beside the airport) is around €100 a month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

OP, there are loads of these threads. Invariably you will just get all the same options over and over again, so take a read through the other threads and you will see what your options are. Essentially, you will just get people selling their own clubs, so I would bear that in mind when you are making a decision.

Here's an idea though for you.

What about Westmanstown??????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Roganstown 1300 includes swords open and gym and pool membership.
    Course always in great condition and all greens and tees in play thru the winter.

I got confirmation this morning from the office, €450 for under 30's at Corrstown till end of December, that is full 7 day membership including GUI/Insurance. The full year charge is €600 for under 30's. I don't think you will beat that price anywhere else, so it's really down to the location and if you like the place.

Under 25's is currently €300 till the end of year.

Full adult membership is €750 odd including €50 bar levy till ear end.

By the way, Corrstown as no Bank Debt.

PM me if you need anymore details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Ronney

Think living on baggot st you would want somewhere south side for ease of getting to, this should tick the box price wise

http://www.edmondstowngolfclub.ie/membership/student_and_young_adult/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Ronney wrote: »
    Think living on baggot st you would want somewhere south side for ease of getting to, this should tick the box price wise

http://www.edmondstowngolfclub.ie/membership/student_and_young_adult/
    Disgraceful charges for young kids there. Our place is free!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Barnaboy wrote: »
    Disgraceful charges for young kids there. Our place is free!!

€165 for 8-12
    €290 for 13-18

I would call that really cheap creche fees rather than disgraceful. Those fees are hardly excessive and seem in line (i.e. it's a substantial reduction) with the normal full subs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Castlewarden (mentioned earlier) have just recently announced a new "Lifestyle" membership.

Its 7 day membership, for under 40s. I think its 426 for the remainder of this year, and will be 695 + 21 (for GUI) annually after that point.

You can't win the Majors/Medals (but there will be a separate lifestyle member category in the events as far as I know)

I think there might be slightly restricted access to the timesheet (ie, full members get earlier access than lifestyle members) which in theory would make getting a prime-time weekend slot difficult.

The full membership is 1055 (there was a 200 discount for new members for 2016 membership). Not sure what the remainder of this year fee would be.

There is a decent chipping & putting area & they are in the process of installing a full range at the moment (I think its due to open around July-ish)

Its a nice parkland course. They are into year 4 of 5 year bunker upgrade works, and seem to be happy to invest in the course. Its just off the N7 (about 10 minutes beyond City West, if you're looking for a gauge on distance)

Very nice atmosphere in the place with active teams and social element. Its my second year up there this year, and am really enjoying it so far. Its a good test from the medal tees, you don't tend to see crazy scores winning the competitions in general. There are open competitions on Wednesdays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Ronney

PARlance wrote: »
    €165 for 8-12
    €290 for 13-18

I would call that really cheap creche fees rather than disgraceful. Those fees are hardly excessive and seem in line (i.e. it's a substantial reduction) with the normal full subs.

But what do juniors get for "free". We have similar charges for junior in my club. They have organised comps, group lessons from the pro, plat inter club and have their own area of a club house with bag storage to room and pool table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Lucan best condition course in Dublin....cheaper option Beech Park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Lucan best condition course in Dublin....cheaper option Beech Park

A bit of a sweeping statement but its a decent enough track.

I got confirmation this morning from the office, €450 for under 30's at Corrstown till end of December, that is full 7 day membership including GUI/Insurance. The full year charge is €600 for under 30's. I don't think you will beat that price anywhere else, so it's really down to the location and if you like the place.

Under 25's is currently €300 till the end of year.

Full adult membership is €750 odd including €50 bar levy till ear end.

By the way, Corrstown as no Bank Debt.

PM me if you need anymore details.

report on the pro-am held at Corrstown last Saturday. The pro's loved the course and set-up and it was won with a 66.

http://www.pga.info/regions/ireland/news/2016/05/simon-shines-in-the-sun-at-corrstown.aspx

report on the pro-am held at Corrstown last Saturday. The pro's loved the course and set-up and it was won with a 66.

http://www.pga.info/regions/ireland/news/2016/05/simon-shines-in-the-sun-at-corrstown.aspx

Heard there were loads of complaints in the run up to the junior cup. Tees greens rough all not well maintained.

mike12 wrote: »
    Heard there were loads of complaints in the run up to the junior cup. Tees greens rough all not well maintained.

First I heard of it!

The GUI congratulate me on the condition of the course at the Junior qualifier and the PGA were delighted at the weekend. The weather has help growth in the last 3 weeks so greens are running brilliantly on the river/meadow. New rough mower arrived last week so any issues you think we had are well and truly resolved. Did you play it on the day?

Having no bank debt or owned by a business/land owner is a huge advantage to us compared to other clubs in the area.

How are you guys getting on with the merger of Swords Open/Roganstown members in one club house? Was this done to save money for the owner? A ex member (now Corrstown member) told me the members had no say in this change, seems very strange.

Merge is going great place is really busy and a good buzz around.
    Just the feed back I got from the captain and a couple of the players. Maybe they just played crap and blamed the course.

Advertisement