Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 6/7 buying question.

Options
  • 23-05-2016 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭

I'm still using an iPhone 4S (yes, I know, I know... :rolleyes:)

I need something like a mini iPad, but I don't want the hassle of carrying and looking after it.

So, I've decided to settle for a 6S Plus, or (if there is such a thing) the large 7 when it arrives.

Rumour has it that the 7 won't have a headphone socket, in which case I'm out coz my wired headphones are state of the art and I'm not buying another (wireless) pair.

So, my question is this......

If I end up looking for a 6S Plus 64Gb, will they still exist? Do Apple run the previous generation of their phones in tandem with the new generation?

I'd consider buying privately, but....

1. I'm terrified of being sold a pup and...

2. I get the VAT back, so a 64Gb 6S Plus, which is what I want, would have to be well south of the €796 (€979 less 23% VAT) that it would cost me.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Dinarius wrote: »
    I'm still using an iPhone 4S (yes, I know, I know... :rolleyes:)

I need something like a mini iPad, but I don't want the hassle of carrying and looking after it.

So, I've decided to settle for a 6S Plus, or (if there is such a thing) the large 7 when it arrives.

Rumour has it that the 7 won't have a headphone socket, in which case I'm out coz my wired headphones are state of the art and I'm not buying another (wireless) pair.

So, my question is this......

If I end up looking for a 6S Plus 64Gb, will they still exist? Do Apple run the previous generation of their phones in tandem with the new generation?

I'd consider buying privately, but....

1. I'm terrified of being sold a pup and...

2. I get the VAT back, so a 64Gb 6S Plus, which is what I want, would have to be well south of the €796 (€979 less 23% VAT) that it would cost me.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

D.

You could check this out yourself :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

You could check this out yourself :confused:

I'm a tad confused by how they operate, TBH.

Thanks.

D.

Thanks.

D.

http://www.apple.com/ie/iphone/

The 6s Plus wont disappear when the 7 is out. Other than buying from Apple you could always pick one up from 3, Vodafone etc. Although you might have less choice on colour, storage.

Also, the 6s Plus wont be much cheaper when the 7 is out (Going by previous generations)

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

Thanks.

D.

Usually when they launch a new model, they stop selling the oldest model, and change the price on the previous model, which means apple store stop selling the iPhone 6, and reduces (but not much) the price of the iPhone 6S.

So you can wait for the iphone 7 release, and get the iphone 6s plus at a lower (again not that low) price.

On a few occasions, they keep old models around, like the 5S

• Advertisement

Usually when they launch a new model, they stop selling the oldest model, and change the price on the previous model, which means apple store stop selling the iPhone 6, and reduces (but not much) the price of the iPhone 6S.

So you can wait for the iphone 7 release, and get the iphone 6s plus at a lower (again not that low) price.

On a few occasions, they keep old models around, like the 5S

About 10E less

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Even if they do get rid of the headphone port, they still sell Beats so they are going to have to provide a dongle for non-lightning headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like I won't save much then.

I'm with Tesco mobile - €11 per month for all I need. So, I have to buy outright. I won't be going the pay monthly for the phone route.

Someone suggested Adverts.ie on another thread. Lots of phones, but separating the wheat from the chaff........! :)

Thanks again.

D.

• Administrators Posts: 53,846 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Even if they do get rid of the headphone port, they still sell Beats so they are going to have to provide a dongle for non-lightning headphones.

Yea, and they'll probably charge 40 quid for it. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

awec wrote: »
    Yea, and they'll probably charge 40 quid for it. :rolleyes:

Probably but I would expect that they would include one with the phone as well.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like I won't save much then.

I'm with Tesco mobile - €11 per month for all I need. So, I have to buy outright. I won't be going the pay monthly for the phone route.

Someone suggested Adverts.ie on another thread. Lots of phones, but separating the wheat from the chaff........! :)

Thanks again.

D.

Wouldn't bother with adverts unless the savings were huge and you are able to inspect that the phone is actually sealed before you hand over any money. Preferably not meeting some bloke in a car park somewhere too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

awec wrote: »
    Wouldn't bother with adverts unless the savings were huge and you are able to inspect that the phone is actually sealed before you hand over any money. Preferably not meeting some bloke in a car park somewhere too. :)

Ah, the wisdom of somone who's never, ever bought anything on Adverts. Only an oaf would meet "some bloke in a car park". Try be a bit more sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,485 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

They will have to do this or it would be a disaster that would lead to diminsihed sales as the vast majority of people use wired 3.5mm headphones.

As for the OP, you seem to be looking for the best phone at the cheapest price.

Seeing as you have the 4s, which came out in 2011, I would assume you're going to get as long out of the 7/6s. So you'd be better off buying direct from Apple, get a new unlocked phone with full warranty. If you get 4-5 years out of it then the annual costs are very reasonable.

naasrd wrote: »
    Ah, the wisdom of somone who's never, ever bought anything on Adverts. Only an oaf would meet "some bloke in a car park". Try be a bit more sensible.

You would be surprised how many oafs there are out there. :)

There's plenty of wireless Beats headphones and earphones.

I agree they'd probably sell a dongle though. It's a bit mad having a dongle for a phone though :pac:

There's plenty of wireless Beats headphones and earphones.

I agree they'd probably sell a dongle though. It's a bit mad having a dongle for a phone though :pac:

I think it will be quite a simple solution that will be a small adaptor rather than a dongle and simply fit onto the headphone cable and stay there for convenience rather than something that will always hang out of the phone.

Yeah you would just leave it on the headphones.

But I think a rigid adapter would add a lot of bulk and there would be the worry of breaking it or the port. When I said dongle I meant an adapter cable.

Like this, but very short:

x1_8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

You can get good deals on Adverts OP just work off the feedback, I recently upgraded to an IPhone 6S Plus 64GB as I didn't want to risk the lack of headphone socket on the 7 and also I wanted a larger screen size so one of the sellers on adverts who I have bought from before was selling his 6S plus and I bought from him was able to even get Apple Care on it as well, I'm delighted with the phone love the size of it and think it's well worth the upgrade. This will do me probably until the 8/8s comes out but I think I would not go back down in screen size again.

You can get good deals on Adverts OP just work off the feedback, I recently upgraded to an IPhone 6S Plus 64GB as I didn't want to risk the lack of headphone socket on the 7 and also I wanted a larger screen size so one of the sellers on adverts who I have bought from before was selling his 6S plus and I bought from him was able to even get Apple Care on it as well, I'm delighted with the phone love the size of it and think it's well worth the upgrade. This will do me probably until the 8/8s comes out but I think I would not go back down in screen size again.

Do you really think that Apple are going to make millions of user unable to use wired headphones with the iPhone 7 and therefore seriously impact on sales?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

murpho999 wrote: »
    Do you really think that Apple are going to make millions of user unable to use wired headphones with the iPhone 7 and therefore seriously impact on sales?

Did you think Apple were going to make millions of users with floppy disks unable to use them and therefore seriously impact on sales?

Did you think Apple were going to make millions of users with CDs unable to use them and therefore seriously impact on sales?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

murpho999 wrote: »

Yes. As posted above they've a serious record in doing this sort of thing. It may not happen with the 7, but it'll definitely be there for the 2017 model.

Advertisement