Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage switch more than once?

Options
  • 23-05-2016 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Is it possible to switch mortgage more than once?
    I was with AIB and just switched to BOI for their 2% cashback offer.
    Could I now switch again to PTSB who also do a 2% cashback offer?
    Thanks
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

You need to read the T&Cs when switching. With BOI, if you switch within 5 years of the 2% cash back offer, there is a penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

In five years time, yes.

These offers are an incredibly bad idea during a time of falling interest rates - which is why the bank offers them. You are now locked to BOI who are rather dear for a very long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Does anyone know the extent of these penalties?

For example, if you switch after 4 years, is the penalty is severe as if you tried to switch after 1 year? Basically, is it in any way proportional?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

For example, if you switch after 4 years, is the penalty is severe as if you tried to switch after 1 year? Basically, is it in any way proportional?

In the T and C of your contractor

Really bad idea to fix right now . I just a big reduction by ringing bank and asking

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Loadedscream

All 2% is repayable if you refinance within 5yrs. Not proportional. As the other poster said you need to be comfortable with that if you are going with these offers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Have a read of this :

http://themoneyadvisers.ie/bank-of-irelands-2-cashback-mortgage-offer-a-good-deal-or-a-marketing-tactic/

Just from briefly looking over it it seems that if you switch mortgages again within the 5 years you have to pay back the full 2%.

I'm not lecturing here but it never fails to amaze me how little people look into the terms and conditions of a mortgage considering the huge investment it is for most people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Will be interesting to see if other Lenders will be offering "we'll pay your legal fees if you switch to us" as soon as those 5 year periods start to finish up. I think they've been running that offer for well over a year now.

Personally I took it, and I knew there'd be penalties to switch, although granted I didnt look too deeply at the mortgage payments.

That said, if its going to cost me about €1700 to switch with all other things being equal, then I think I'd need the rates to be significantly lower than what I'm currently paying. Thats over 2 months mortgage payments in and of itself, so the savings would need to be quite good!

I've always planned on hanging onto my current place for about 5 years (4 years to go) so I guess I'll worry about it then. Once I can switch, I'll definitely be shopping around.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

BOI and PTSB's 2% offers have a clawback within 5 years
    Ulster Banks 1500 legal fees offer has no clawback
    AIB's 2K, I don't know - it's only just been announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

What are the legal fees for in relation to switching mortgages?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Brego888 wrote: »
    What are the legal fees for in relation to switching mortgages?

Total fees would include the valuer, legal specific fees are the solicitors professional fee (which should be a lot lower than for a full purchase) and land registry search and registration fees. Might not be much change from 1500 depending on the value as some fees are value dependent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

L1011 wrote: »
    Total fees would include the valuer, legal specific fees are the solicitors professional fee (which should be a lot lower than for a full purchase) and land registry search and registration fees. Might not be much change from 1500 depending on the value as some fees are value dependent.

I'm in the process of switching, fees will be 1200 or so.

Advertisement