Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

minimum daily hours/night hours premium.

Options
  • 23-05-2016 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Does anyone know what the minimum hours is to be called t work.
    I work on casual. Just some tiems im called into work for just one hour and it costs me on transport etc. Especially in the early hours like 4am I go in and drive there, pay tolls and do my hour adn go home back to bed.
    It just seems a waste, and the company is being unreasonable about it now when we try to explain we get paid 10euro but its costs nearly that just to get there.

We dont get minimum hours for it? should we?
    Also if i have to be there at 4am should I be paid more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Its up to the company terms. My contract is different to someone who has been in the company for 15 years ect.

There is no law that states you should be paid more or for a minimum amount of hours. ( In my company it is a min of 4 hours) but its the same amount of pay for working a night shift. But I do get a shift allowance of 20% as we do longer days than normal and 24/7. These would be in place to entice me to work there and stay in the company.

If I was you I would try find another job as they sound like they won't want to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭jamesdublin12

Yeah,
    Im like it costs me 15euro to go to work for one hour. I cant do that and at 4am? its ridiculuous.

sometimes I do 2.5hours work but it costs 6.90 in bus fare.

Also, if I have to travel other places other than my place of work, so to the airport lets say or to host families. Should I be paid travel time. they are saying no you get paid from the time your at the place. but I could be spending an hour and half getting there.

another question.

If my place of work is in city centre, but sometimes I have to conduct tours.
    So I have to travel to difference places from my home to meet groups and get 2 buses and spend up to maybe 1hoour and half travelling there.

My job have said I cant put down travel time, but my understanding is that this is not my normal place of work/business so Im supposed to. Am I correct in saying that. They are saying I have to make my way there at my expense and paid from the time of the tour.

Anyone know abut emplyment law that can help?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Ye. it says it on citizens information.
    but i work for a school, and sometimes have to go to the airport to collect students would tat mean my travel from my home is included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Does your car insurance cover you for collecting people for work!

No...
    I go to collect them in the airport and we travel on a coach then i have to travel home from there (after already getting two buses to the airport).

So I get paid from teh time they come through arrivals too the time the bus drops them off. I am being told that I cannot be paid for the time travelling to teh airport or trying to get home from wherever the bus drops us off.

Which I think its wrong. particually if I have to do just one hours work but get out of my bed at 4am and drive to the coach meet point.

Is there a minimum amount of hoours legally that they must pay you for in one day. some weeks I might onlt do 9 hours cos I might work 1.5hrs in a day its ridiculous.. but i spend nearly the full hours on transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Also, if I have to travel other places other than my place of work, so to the airport lets say or to host families. Should I be paid travel time. they are saying no you get paid from the time your at the place. but I could be spending an hour and half getting there.

Depends on your contract.

For the most part, distance from your place of work is your issue, not theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is there a minimum amount of hoours legally that they must pay you for in one day.

No.

They must pay for hours worked.

The EU ruling means that legally they probably should be paying for your travel time - and also things like waiting time if the plane is delayed and so you are sitting at the arrivals gate for ages waiting for them to come thru.

But you could have a bit of a job convincing them of this.

Do you belong to a union - could you join one?

• Advertisement

No.

They must pay for hours worked.

The EU ruling means that legally they probably should be paying for your travel time - and also things like waiting time if the plane is delayed and so you are sitting at the arrivals gate for ages waiting for them to come thru.

But you could have a bit of a job convincing them of this.

Do you belong to a union - could you join one?

I think I'm gonna join a union.
    They are very unnegotiable regarding asking me to cone to work for one hour when it's coating me more to get there. Ridiculous.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I think I'm gonna join a union.
    They are very unnegotiable regarding asking me to cone to work for one hour when it's coating me more to get there. Ridiculous.

Your employer does not have to recognise a union even if you join one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

You should try to negotiate with them for a minimum call-in of at least 2.5 hours but preferably 4 which is pretty standard with most companies that I know of. Most companies, but not all, will also have a Night-time premium rate (8-8) of between 1/29 and 1/41 of your hourly rate.

If they're not open to negotiate tell them to get some other fool to do the job. You're being rode silly..

P.S... Check with NERA and see what they say. Can't do any harm to ask.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You should try to negotiate with them for a minimum call-in of at least 2.5 hours but preferably 4 which is pretty standard with most companies that I know of. Most companies, but not all, will also have a Night-time premium rate (8-8) of between 1/29 and 1/41 of your hourly rate.

If they're not open to negotiate tell them to get some other fool to do the job. You're being rode silly..

P.S... Check with NERA and see what they say. Can't do any harm to ask.

It sounds like OP is doing some sort of hostess job for foreign students arriving here, that is minimum wage and zero hour.

Unlikely that the company will agree to any of that.

Stheno wrote: »
    It sounds like OP is doing some sort of hostess job for foreign students arriving here, that is minimum wage and zero hour.

Unlikely that the company will agree to any of that.

What's OP
    Yes they are very unlikely to agree to any of that. They are being horrible about it.
    I'll ring the nera about it.

At least the union can negotiate if I have to leave on constructive dismissal.

I'd have q case surely

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

At least the union can negotiate if I have to leave on constructive dismissal.

I'd have q case surely

I don't think you have a case at all.

It's none of the companies business where you live, or how far you have to travel for it.

Do you know what constructive dismissal means? How are they contriving to dismiss you?

CruelCoin wrote: »
    I don't think you have a case at all.

It's none of the companies business where you live, or how far you have to travel for it.

Do you know what constructive dismissal means? How are they contriving to dismiss you?

Because think about it. There should he laws against it then.

Why would someone Ho to work for one hour at 10euro if it's coating them possible 6.90 in transport to get there.

Ridiculous

Because think about it. There should he laws against it then.

Why would someone Ho to work for one hour at 10euro if it's coating them possible 6.90 in transport to get there.

Ridiculous
    It's irrelevant what it costs you to get to work

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

It's irrelevant what it costs you to get to work

Irrelevant or not, this type of contract is exploitative. And it is a known problem, hence the EU ruling. Definitely talk to NERA, but also brush up your cv and look for another job right away. It is a better use of your time. Good luck.

• Advertisement

Diziet wrote: »
    Irrelevant or not, this type of contract is exploitative. And it is a known problem, hence the EU ruling. Definitely talk to NERA, but also brush up your cv and look for another job right away. It is a better use of your time. Good luck.

I can't believe they ate not understanding.

I'm gonna ring nera

Do you have a base/office that you normally work from as you referred to in a previous post?

Do you have a base/office that you normally work from as you referred to in a previous post?

Yea I meet at the office at start of each shift and work from theft. That's restart of my Day normally

Yea I meet at the office at start of each shift and work from theft. That's restart of my Day normally

Then the EU ruling on travel time last year doesn't apply to you, it only applies to mobile workers with no fixed base, so you are not entitled to be paid for travel time.

Then the EU ruling on travel time last year doesn't apply to you, it only applies to mobile workers with no fixed base, so you are not entitled to be paid for travel time.

I don't understand.

I'm bit expecting to he paid for the tines that I'm at the office and meet and work my groups form there and begin going paid thene abs bring back there and my Day ends.

I have days thay I'm mobile so I'd have different locations that I work from including The airport and various locations in Dublin. On this occasion s would the eu ruling not apply. I asked a barrister today he said yes... Butnim joy sure if he understood this is everyday. Thay seems vet vague.

He said that I am to he paid time travelling from my jobs location to wherever.

I don't understand.

I'm bit expecting to he paid for the tines that I'm at the office and meet and work my groups form there and begin going paid thene abs bring back there and my Day ends.

I have days thay I'm mobile so I'd have different locations that I work from including The airport and various locations in Dublin. On this occasion s would the eu ruling not apply. I asked a barrister today he said yes... Butnim joy sure if he understood this is everyday. Thay seems vet vague.

He said that I am to he paid time travelling from my jobs location to wherever.

From the link earlier
    The Luxembourg court ruled last week that for workers with no fixed office, such as care workers and door-to-door salesmen, time spent travelling to work should be counted as working time under the European Union’s Working Time Directive (WTD) rules.

Also the revenue brought in rules this year that mileage cannot be paid if you are within a certain distance of your home office think it's about 10kms so that also rules it out.

Your posts are very difficult to read and I'm not sure what else apart from what I have addressed you are talking about in your post.

Are you thinking that if you are not working at your fixed base that you should be paid for getting to another location before you start work?

To give you an example, I am working in Belfast next week, a different place from my home office.

I will spend four hours travelling to and back there each day but will not be paid for that time, and it's not required that I be paid.

From the link earlier

Also the revenue brought in rules this year that mileage cannot be paid if you are within a certain distance of your home office think it's about 10kms so that also rules it out.

Your posts are very difficult to read and I'm not sure what else apart from what I have addressed you are talking about in your post.

Are you thinking that if you are not working at your fixed base that you should be paid for getting to another location before you start work?

To give you an example, I am working in Belfast next week, a different place from my home office.

I will spend four hours travelling to and back there each day but will not be paid for that time, and it's not required that I be paid.

Think they Need to clarify thay ruling.
    I work in different locations every Day for work..

Same as a salesperson I'm sent different places... It's all very confusing who can and who can't.

I've had jobs like yours before. I've had my transport paid and claimed back a week later etc if bit my normal place of work. This is is a bit more complex maybe I need clarification on the ruling. Seems it's open to interpretation.

Think they Need to clarify thay ruling.
    I work in different locations every Day for work..

Same as a salesperson I'm sent different places... It's all very confusing who can and who can't.

I've had jobs like yours before. I've had my transport paid and claimed back a week later etc if bit my normal place of work. This is is a bit more complex maybe I need clarification on the ruling. Seems it's open to interpretation.

I also work in different places every day, but by law, I do not currently have to be recompensed for travelling to them. If they are in Dublin I am never reimbursed for travel time/expenses.

The ruling is just a ruling, not yet law here at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I signed up to do a crappy job.

That crappy job isnt financially viable.

I have a case to change the jobs terms.

Does this seem reasonable? Some jobs are sh1t jobs. This sounds very much like one of them. Keep working for now and meanwhile search for something viable, the second you get an offer take it and tell your current employer to stuff it.

Their business model probably depends on nigh on zero cost employees putting up with that kinda junk to be feasible. They aren't going to quadrouple their payroll costs for you.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Does this seem reasonable? Some jobs are sh1t jobs. This sounds very much like one of them. Keep working for now and meanwhile search for something viable, the second you get an offer take it and tell your current employer to stuff it.

Their business model probably depends on nigh on zero cost employees putting up with that kinda junk to be feasible. They aren't going to quadrouple their payroll costs for you.

Where did you get the post you quoted from?

Advertisement