Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Small/Miniature size pure bred yorkshire terrier

• 23-05-2016 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,

I would like to find a pure bred mini yorkshire terrier puppy that is ikc registered and from a proper compliant registered breeder. How do I source this information. I have already contacted the ikc and the head of the yorkshire fanciers club. Any help much appreciated! I am not sure about purchasing from done deal due to the puppy farms etc. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Hi

First off there is no miniature or mini breed of Yorkshire terrier. The breed is a Yorshire Terrrier and anyone sell the with a tag of 'mini', 'minature' or teacup should be avoided at all cost.

Have you had any reply from the IKC or the Club. They may supply a list of breeders and then its a matter of contacting them and seeing if they have any litters or any litters planned

Be aware that it can take a couple of months to source a dog from a good source that will suit your requirements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

If you have asked the breed club about 'miniatures' it is unlikely you will hear back from them. Miniatures are created by breeding unhealthy 'runts'. There is therefore no such thing as a healthy miniature. What you want is a breed standard Yorkshire terrier. If you want small then females are smaller than males. The breed is in the toy dog category, they are already tiny dogs. My dog is not a Yorkie but it was a year and a half after I started looking for a reputable breeder that I brought him home.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 april16

Thanks for posting back to me. I found an 11 month old 2kg dog. Weight falls under correct size for thorough bred. Mother is a show dog. Registered with ikc and he is house trained. How do I verify everything is authentic? Thanks

Just found out after asking more questions ikc registration wasn't from Ireland. I'll try ringing ikc. Thanks

Have you tried googling the mother's show name?

My dog is not registered with IKC, he's registered with the UK kennel club, they have higher standards and a lot of info is available on the UKKC website on individual dogs.

• Advertisement

Thoroughbred is a breed of horse by the way :D

Dogs are referred to as pedigree.

Whoops. I used to own a shelty but I'm a little rusty now. He lived until he was 17. I haven't had a dog for maybe 10 years now.

No when I questioned it the dogs papers were Lithuanian and not even sure if it was ikc.

IKC is the Irish kennel club. If the paper's are from another country they are not IKC papers.

Yes I know but it said it was an ikc registered dog and it wasn't. Then they said they are waiting on papers. I want to make sure everything is above board. I'll ring ikc tomorrow see if I can get more info. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement

Five to seven pounds is breed standard. All five pound dogs would be female. What you have is a four pound male. That there is a 'runt'. Why are they selling an 11 month dog and where did you find it?

Thanks. When I googled the size online it seemed fine. But yes my husband said that too why sell an older dog. I was thinking house trained happy days. I'll make a few calls tomorrow and try and track down any reputable breeders. Other ad was online.

Thanks. When I googled the size online it seemed fine. But yes my husband said that too why sell an older dog. I was thinking house trained happy days. I'll make a few calls tomorrow and try and track down any reputable breeders. Other ad was online.

Unless you are looking on the champdogs site or pedigree dogs site, all other advert sites only have people selling dogs that are not reputable.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

april16 wrote: »
    Then they said they are waiting on papers.

As well as the fact that the breeder has bent the truth re where the pup is registered, this line that I've quoted should ring MAJOR alarm bells op. This is a standard pat line from breeders who haven't actually registered the pups at all, and often when the unsuspecting new owner chases them up for the papers, mysteriously the phone number no longer works. I know a lot of owners who were fed the same line, and in 100% of cases, they never got any papers. They were never going to get any papers.
    Chances are that the pups are not registered because (a) one or both parents aren't, or (b) there is no such breed as "miniature Yorkshire terrier" to register.
    Sorry op... This whole deal smacks of profiteering/puppy farming/back yard breeding.

Yes that is why I posted here and also questioned the person a lot. I didn't think it was right one lie leads to more lies. I'll ring ikc tomorrow and the Yorkshire terrier fanciers association. I've been looking for a while but have learned a lot. I'm so aware of puppy farms and people who are not ethically breeding.

Thanks lesson learned. I didn't know about champ dogs I had seen pedigree dogs site before. Any other sites let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Unless you are looking on the champdogs site or pedigree dogs site, all other advert sites only have people selling dogs that are not reputable.

Not always true - I've got a fully health tested (genetic testing etc done) working English Springer Spaniel from FTCh x FTCh breeding who I picked up via word of mouth he was advertised on donedeal also though. The majority certainly are puppy peddlers but there can be exceptions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Champdogs is a very good site, the other one mentioned not so much. Pay your tenner & you can advertise. You can just say the dogs are registered.

• Advertisement

Still on the look out. I've contacted a lot of people but found nothing that doesn't have alarm bells. One person wouldn't even give me their address to pick up the dog and it was 3 hours away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

april16 wrote: »
    Still on the look out. I've contacted a lot of people but found nothing that doesn't have alarm bells. One person wouldn't even give me their address to pick up the dog and it was 3 hours away!

Did the breed club never get back to you? It might be worth going to a dog show and talking to the yorkie people, to find any upcoming litters.

muddypaws wrote: »
    Did the breed club never get back to you? It might be worth going to a dog show and talking to the yorkie people, to find any upcoming litters.

The head of the fanciers said to call back in a month to see if there will be litters

Would you look at the rescues. A lot of Yorkies and Yorkie xs are in rescue, all different ages.

I dont wish to push the rescue agenda but since you were considering getting a 11month old dog that route may suit

Inexile wrote: »
    Would you look at the rescues. A lot of Yorkies and Yorkie xs are in rescue, all different ages.

I dont wish to push the rescue agenda but since you were considering getting a 11month old dog that route may suit

Yes we would once it was of good temperament. Not sure where to start with rescue dogs. Would you call <snip>?

OP when you have specific requirements it can take a bit of time finding a dog from a reputable source. Rescues can't be discussed here but if you check all the website's of those local to you maybe twice a week it's just a waiting game till one comes up. In the meantime you can check what thier policies are and whether or not you fulfil their requirements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

april16 wrote:
    Yes we would once it was of good temperament. Not sure where to start with rescue dogs. Would you call ?

There is possibly a Yorkshire Terrier rescue group? Have you googled or checked on Facebook?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thoroughbred is a breed of horse by the way :D

Dogs are referred to as pedigree.

All I can think of is my Nana after reading this! "That dog is the size of small horse!' :pac::pac:

I really don't know how many times it needs to be said guys. You can't post any rescue details in this forum.

• Advertisement

We cant name individual rescues but there are the obvious big 3. Two of which are based in Dublin.

After that you have a lot of smaller rescues. Why not have a conversation with your vet to see who is local to you and suss out their reputation.

If you give an idea of where you are based people may be able to suggest a rescue to you by pm.
    You could also look at the Dept of Agriculture, Food and the Marines website and search for list of rescues which obtained a grant from the Dept in 2015 - look for ex-gratia funding given to animal welfare organisations.

Advertisement