Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having Trouble Finding an IT Conversion Course

Options
  • 23-05-2016 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Can someone point me towards a decent IT conversion course in either Galway, Limerick or Athlone, preferably something like a Lvl 8 in Software Development.

Im really struggling to find anything relevant tbh because Im not unemployed so I cant go for a Springboard course (some of which look absolutely perfect).

I have a degree in Applied Biology and Biopharm but I hate it and want to try my hand at IT which I wish Id done in the first place.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

try http://www.bluebrick.ie/ for courses

• Registered Users Posts: 68,898 ✭✭✭✭L1011

try http://www.bluebrick.ie/ for courses

Last new course closed for applications in January. Many of these schemes are now dead with the change of Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah I saw that alright. Is Springboard dead aswell? A lot of the pages dont seem to have been updated since 2015...

I dont mind paying for the course though...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I did a springboard hdip in computer science in ucd and they are running it again this year so you can definitely apply for that online

• Advertisement

I did a springboard hdip in computer science in ucd and they are running it again this year so you can definitely apply for that online
    How did you find it?

Did you get a job out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 LondonFields

I did a springboard hdip in computer science in ucd
    I would also love to hear any feedback about the Springboard course you did, and whether you found it helpful...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Lads make sure you do your research about these courses . The grass is not always greener on the other side . The IT market is flooded at the moment , its not a matter of completing one of these courses and walking straight into a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Latest Springboard here:

http://springboardcourses.ie/

More specific ICT lists here, but not sure how up to date it is:

http://www.ictworks.ie/

Lads make sure you do your research about these courses . The grass is not always greener on the other side . The IT market is flooded at the moment , its not a matter of completing one of these courses and walking straight into a job.

Why can't I get staff then?

You won't get a job worth a toss with just certs but I'm not even seeing those!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 LondonFields

Lads make sure you do your research about these courses

Trying to do that :)

I've tried today contacting the course co-ordinator from one of the colleges directly, but I'm very aware that the summer holidays are very nearly here... and that the course providers often have different views of their courses to those who have taken them ;)

L1011 wrote: »
    Why can't I get staff then?

You won't get a job worth a toss with just certs but I'm not even seeing those!

You wont get a job worth a toss? I work with plenty of System Administrators and Network Infrastructure Engineers that only have certs with experience and are on excellent money . As for Development yes you will need a degree to the OP.

You wont get a job worth a toss? I work with plenty of System Administrators and Network Infrastructure Engineers than only have certs with experience and are on excellent money . As for Development yes you will need a degree to the OP.

That was my point.

Certs and no experience is worthless.

But you are wildly wrong in claiming the market is "flooded" - there are insufficient staff in all disciplines.

That was my point.

Certs and no experience is worthless.

But you are wildly wrong in claiming the market is "flooded" - there are insufficient staff in all disciplines.

Sorry miss understood what you said. Really? maybe in Dublin due to crazy rent prices and the cost of living. Im based in the UK at the moment and looking to relocate home back to the south east of Ireland and IT positions are very limited with a lot of competition .

Sorry miss understood what you said. Really? maybe in Dublin due to crazy rent prices and the cost of living. Im based in the UK at the moment and looking to relocate home back to the south east of Ireland and IT positions are very limited with a lot of competition .

There aren't many jobs in the south east of Ireland at all, though. Can't get staff in Dublin and in the previous employer I couldn't get get them in Cork either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

There aren't many jobs in the south east of Ireland at all, though. Can't get staff in Dublin and in the previous employer I couldn't get get them in Cork either.

What type of staff are you looking for? What would your minimum requirement for an interview be?
    From everything I've heard there is a glut of graduates who can't get work.

Advertisement