Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbors cats

Options
  • 23-05-2016 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

We live in a terraced house and both our adjoining neighbours have multiple cats who seem to just use our garden as a toilet... I have two small kids and I want to let them out in the garden without worrying about this. Can anyone recommend a device which will keep the cats away?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

• Registered Users Posts: 35 scot1964

A dog!

keep chasing the dirty yokes, roaring and frightening them. Get a powerful water gun and blast them with it, even add some citrus to the water as apparently cats hate citrus. A bit of a kick in the arse too might make them think twice about coming in.

A motion detection sprinkler is another option so every single time they come in they get wet even when you aren't there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭karenalot

keep chasing the dirty yokes, roaring and frightening them. Get a powerful water gun and blast them with it, even add some citrus to the water as apparently cats hate citrus. A bit of a kick in the arse too might make them think twice about coming in.

A motion detection sprinkler is another option so every single time they come in they get wet even when you aren't there.

Your hatred toward all animals never ceases to amaze me.

OP, there are plants that you can't grow that cats don't like and keep them away, like lavenders, citrus plants etc, google it. Don't do what the below poster has said. Also have a chat with the neighbours to check if the cats are all neutered which should prevent males spraying and marking what they think is their territory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

A bit of a kick in the arse too might make them think twice about coming in.

The anthropomorphising is strong here.

And I see nothing in the OP that suggest the cats are "dirty yokes".

OP, look at plants which will keep them away. If cats hate the smell of something, they'll stay away from it. Have a chat with the neighbours too, see if there's anything they can do on their end.

• Advertisement

Mod Warning: Keep it constructive, not destructive. No posts about harming the cats.

karenalot wrote: »
    Your hatred toward all animals never ceases to amaze me.

I have no hatred towards all animals, I love most animals and being from a farming background spend a lot of time caring for animals. The only thing you will have heard me say is that is totally disagree with pets being kept inside the house and I also don't like cats and don't understand why peope keep them as pets.

I offered the op a number of solutions, aside from the half joking suggestion of a bit of a kick I don't see the issue with any of the others. Cats dirt is a health hazard and the cats need to lean the lesson that they aren't welcome in the op's garden.
    Maireadio wrote: »

And I see nothing in the OP that suggest the cats are "dirty yokes".

Did you miss the bit where he said they are dirtying his garden and are a health hazard to his kids. They are nothing but pests and I offered a number of harmless solutions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

Did you miss the bit where he said they are dirtying his garden and are a health hazard to his kids. They are nothing but pests and I offered a number of harmless solutions.

Yes, they're cats defecating, like other animals. Are you are dirty yoke? Am I? Cats aren't pests. I'd happily sort do all I could to stop any cats I might own causing annoyance to neighbours but I would not tolerate anyone else treating them cruelly. You wouldn't be getting away with kicking or throwing things at them if I caught you.

The OP just needs to come up with a solution to stop it happening in her garden. If she talked to the the neighbours, they may well be mortified and look for ways to help her. It's possible to contain cats in one's own garden. It's hard, but not impossible. And the neighbour could introduce a covered outdoor litter tray to their own garden and make it attractive for the cat to use it. Even the fact the it will contain a nice amount of sandy litter might make it a favourite spot for the cat rather than some soily ground off their territory. Cats are open to training despite what people think, but kicking them is not required.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Any hardware store or garden centre- sells pellets and sprays which will keep dogs away. They're all natural- wash away- and harmless to animals (and small children). You will of course have to wash down the pre-existing excrement/urine- before your children should use the garden for playing in.

Anyone else who suggests harming animals in any manner- gets a ban- there is already a mod warning on thread- we will not tolerate any suggestions of cruelty of any nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Dr_Kolossus

Tell your neighbours, if they do nothing insist that they clean your garden. Borrow a dog for a few weeks, the cats should find somewhere else to do their business.

Are you allowed to let cats run around outside? If not and above fails call animal/pest control , I'd consider them stray if not kept under control

I love animals, but I love my kids way more, do anything to get rid of these pests, because in this case that's exactly what they are. Cat excrement is extremely harmful to children. What they are doing is disgusting and very dangerous for kids. People who refuse to see this are ldiots and I blame them more than the animals for willingly putting kids at risk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

You can get plastic anti climb spikes for the wall on ebay they will not hurt but will stop them climbing up and over. We use them to keep the cat in our place as we are responsible cat owners who do not let them roam and destroy other people property.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- thankyou to everyone who has reported objectionable posts in this thread- rather than retaliating online.

I would just like to emphasise- anyone who posts anything advocating cruelty towards animals- is going to get a ban- period- no discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Get some 2 litre bottles, cut the top off, fill with fresh water and leave them around the garden. Cats will not go to the toilet near a source of fresh drinking water. They will smell the water and it should deter them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Are you allowed to let cats run around outside? If not and above fails call animal/pest control , I'd consider them stray if not kept under control

Do you know what a cat is? Have you ever met one? Do you expect them to be kept on leads?

Also, as for "pest control"??? What are you on. I don't know if you mean the council or a private company, but no one is going to come in to "pest control" peoples pets.

On the subject of pest control, I bet the OP has no issue with rats/mice etc.....because there are definite upsides to having cats around the place.

Cats are ramblers, sometimes they'll be in peoples gardens, sometimes they're up trees, they can go quite far from home really. When they do defecate, the dig a hole in soft soil and bury it, so I'd be surprised if there really are cat droppings everywhere, as they're typically clean animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Spraying the cats (gently) with water when they come into the garden should do the trick.

I have 3 cats, am a total animal lover, I use a water spray bottle on my cats if they go to places in the house I don't want them. Such as jumping on the kitchen side etc.
    It's harmless but they soon get the message. I only have to pick the bottle up now and they scarper.

Obviously you won't be there each time they're in the garden so citrus smells are another already mentioned suggestion that is very good.

Maybe spray some orange oil on top of the fences, around the bottom of fence posts etc. Again it's a harmless and natural solution - it will leave a nice smell outside as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭pawrick

The best way to keep cats out is to have the owners cat proof their garden. I'm of the opinion that it's the responcibility of the owner to ensure their pets are not a nuisance. Other options work for some cats but deterrents are not always successful. Hopefully your neighbour is reasonable.

Also suggest spaying and neutering to prevent any additional cats being born or attracting other cats to the area. I have cats but I appreciate the problems they can create if left to roam.

Obviously you won't be there each time they're in the garden

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PestBye-Battery-Powered-Activated-Repellent/dp/B004YCUT4W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464084170&sr=8-1&keywords=motion+sensor+sprinkler

Something like the above solves that, motion activated sprinkler. As harmless as the spray bottle but will get the cats every time they come into the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

If the garden is fenced in, consider putting 4-inch PVC pipe along the top of the fence. Just cut a slot the length of the pipe so you can fit it down over the top. Cats can't get a purchase with their claws on it and it is too unstable to stand on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,391 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

We went to the local pet store and bought these pellets which cats can't stand the smell of.

Spread them around the perimeter.

Haven't had cat sh!t since then

Mod Edit: I think there is more than enough advice in the thread, and don't need any more comments.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement