Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Grocery Product Shrinkage Thread

Options
  • 23-05-2016 8:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

Manufacturers don't ↑ the price, they ↓ the product size instead..you still pay the same price. What shrinkages have you seen?

It's obvious with cleaning detergents and Cadbury products for years.
    Alpen no added sugar was 1.3kg now 1.1kg
    Doritos was 225g now 200g
    Rowntree Fruit Gums were 175g now 150g
    KitKat Chunky was 48g now 40g
    Ribena was 2l now 1.5l
    CocaCola was 2l now 1.75l
    Douwe Egbert coffee was 200g now 190g
    Mars bar was 65g now 51g

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Coca Cola 2L is still available - the 1.75 and 1.5 have existed for specific price point purposes for years.

The gradual bean tin creep from 445g to I think 380g now is one I've noticed for years. 5g or 10g taken off ever so often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

This is nothing new. Walkers Crisps started shrinking the bag weights in the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

SMA powdered baby food. was 900g, now 800g but 10% more expensive and not made in Ireland any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Dubliner Cheese slices have shrunk by 20%

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

L1011 wrote: »
    Coca Cola 2L is still available - the 1.75 and 1.5 have existed for specific price point purposes for years.

The gradual bean tin creep from 445g to I think 380g now is one I've noticed for years. 5g or 10g taken off ever so often.

I haven't seen 2L anywhere in weeks.Not for Coke Zero anyway,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Brady's sliced ham.
    Was 100g "special offer €2"
    Then 90g "special offer €2"
    Now 80g " special offer €2"

Better tatsing sliced ham Aldi Selected, 140g for €1.90

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

L1011 wrote: »
    I have not seen the 2L, could be places that still have old stock. Tesco sold all the 2L ones off really cheap, I guess subsidized by coca cola in some way to rid the market of them. I read about it on trade business websites and they were definitely getting rid of it here. Though the likes of 2 euro shops might still get it in from non official distributors to here.

I never saw the 1.75L one before the change over. The 1.5L and 1.25L ones were about as part of meal deals etc, and chilled, but I never saw 1.75L before. Maybe it was out there but possibly not official irish market stock.

They did decrease the price of the 1.75L in tesco too, though its reduction was not in line with the volume change.

When they change in size I often do notice lowered prices, or increased availability of discounts on them. Coke has nearly always been on offer in tesco since the 1.75L change. Currently 2 for 3euro in tesco. Though in recent years the 2L were commonly on offer too.

Double deckers and bounties were 2 bars that did not change. Double deckers were already around 250kcal which was the excuse the bar makers used for reducing size, to get them all around that many calories. However in the last week or so I saw double deckers in some supermarket in mulitpacks and they were smaller. There is a large amount of different size mars bars out there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

They would still be massive in deadpools little hand :D

But, yes. It's less damaging to brands when they keep the price the same(ish) and sneakily lower the weight/volume. How often do people check how much they're getting? A packet of crisps, chocolate bar and a can is still a packet of crisps, chocolate bar and a can.

Sure don't the government dial down inflation figures using this very tactic? A bag of spuds is till a bag of spuds.....only there's less, but sure nobody will do anything about it. TBH, I prefer to get less for the static price, than pay more for the same. I'd be a fatso otherwise :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

goz83 wrote: »
    They would still be massive in deadpools little hand :D

But, yes. It's less damaging to brands when they keep the price the same(ish) and sneakily lower the weight/volume. How often do people check how much they're getting? A packet of crisps, chocolate bar and a can is still a packet of crisps, chocolate bar and a can.

Sure don't the government dial down inflation figures using this very tactic? A bag of spuds is till a bag of spuds.....only there's less, but sure nobody will do anything about it. TBH, I prefer to get less for the static price, than pay more for the same. I'd be a fatso otherwise :pac:

CPI/inflation is gauged using weight not by package.

How often do people check how much they're getting?
    I do, and always have, since I was a child. I was figuring out the "price per kilo" in my head decades ago, and now that it is clearly listed for many items I expect many do too. As items nowadays are constantly changing size I expect more do it now than ever.

By the way many places "price per kilo" is incorrect, I still have a knack for doing it in my head, unfortunately I have found none who honour this in their refund price policies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

VincePP wrote: »
    Brady's sliced ham.
    Was 100g "special offer €2"
    Then 90g "special offer €2"
    Now 80g " special offer €2"

Better tatsing sliced ham Aldi Selected, 140g for €1.90

I ham sham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

When I was a chap, a Curly Wurly was at least 6ft long, now they are only 2 inches :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

CPI/inflation is gauged using weight not by package.

Explains why they pump their meat full of water then. :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Terry's Chocolate Orange was 175g, now 157g

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sure don't the government dial down inflation figures using this very tactic?

The government would dearly love inflation to be higher.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Terry's Chocolate Orange was 175g, now 157g

very sneaky swopping the 5 & 7 around, very much doubt it was a coincidence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Toblerone was 400g, now 360g
    Toblerone was 170g, now 150g
    Price remains the same though
    3A2B642700000578-0-image-a-21_1478598621354.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

snubbleste wrote: »
    Toblerone was 400g, now 360g
    Toblerone was 170g, now 150g
    Price remains the same though
    3A2B642700000578-0-image-a-21_1478598621354.jpg

I will never eat or buy these new tobelerones, I may aswell buy lidl chocolate, they've essentially removed their USP, it's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,277 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Noticed Tropicana have reduced from 1l to 950ml
    Price is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,277 ✭✭✭✭zell12

UK more than 200 products subject to shrinkflation ONS
    - Detail

As many as 206 products were made smaller between September 2015 and June 2017
    Maltesers, M&Ms and Minstrels chocolates by up to 15%, while McVitie’s Jaffa Cakes in a packet from 12 to 10
    Birds Eye cut the number of fish fingers in a packet from 12 to 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

MOH wrote: »
    I haven't seen 2L anywhere in weeks.Not for Coke Zero anyway,

Iceland have 3 litre bottles

The internet isn’t for everyone

Since the sugar tax came in the coke is usually 2L again for zero & diet, and regular remains 1.75L. Other brands have done this too.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Iceland have 3 litre bottles

That was 2.5 years ago!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

MOH wrote: »
    That was 2.5 years ago!!

No it was today actually
    Coke, Diet Coke and Coke Zero all in 3 litre bottles

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Lidl 6 pack of Caramel Biscuit - don't ask me to quote the details but the pack is approx 30% lighter for 20% less.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    No it was today actually
    Coke, Diet Coke and Coke Zero all in 3 litre bottles

Sorry, I meant my original post that you replied to about there only being 1.5L bottles was 2 years ago! Cheers, good to know - any idea how much?

The 3L were in tesco a while ago, they were more expensive per litre than smaller ones. They would be difficult to fit in a fridge and by the look of them would be awkward to pour out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Aldi's version of Pringles increased recently from 99c to €1.09, I was thinking other companies would just shrink the pack and increase the price but Aldi just increased the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭IsaacWunder

Haagen-Dazs “pint” is gone down in size from 500 ml to 400 ml.

• Advertisement
Advertisement