Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overgrown grass

Options
  • 23-05-2016 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Since winter I've been cutting the grass out the back, except for one 20 or 25 square metre patch right at the bottom. I used an electric strimmer to bring most of the garden down to a manageable height, then the lawnmower afterwards, but the lead wouldn't stretch that far and I just said f#%k it, more fool me. Now that patch is getting close to waist height and it's driving me nuts.

I took a loan of a petrol strimmer off a friend, but it's beyond useless. As soon as it touches any kind of rough patch it stops and I need to pull the ripcord again. Progress is slow.

What I'd like to know is if there's another alternative? Could I hire a more heavy duty strimmer somewhere? I'd even run up the mountains and capture a wild goat at this stage, if needs be. All suggestions welcome. Ta!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

rent out a petrol strimmer

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

See if you can get a hold of a petrol strimmer but with a brush cutter blade on it. Should make light work if it's sharp. Not sure if they rent them out though. Your friend might have got one as part of the kit when he bought the strimmer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Scythe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

A petrol strimmer should make pandy of long grass, so maybe your technique isn't correct.

Have a decent length of cord (extended to 2 inches from the guard) and start by skinning the edges of the high grass, instead of going deep. Take your time and wear eye protection! Even a small plant stalk can break the skin when it's launched by a strimmer...

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭mr chips

Or buy an extension cable and plug the lawnmower into it, so long as you can do so in safety. It'll get the grass cut in a fraction of the time it'd take with a strimmer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

mr chips wrote: »
    Or buy an extension cable and plug the lawnmower into it, so long as you can do so in safety. It'll get the grass cut in a fraction of the time it'd take with a strimmer.

I've never seen a lawnmower that can handle grass waist high!!

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gautama

Could I hire a more heavy duty strimmer somewhere? I'd even run up the mountains and capture a wild goat at this stage, if needs be. All suggestions welcome. Ta!

Yes. I'd recommend hiring a petrol brush-cutter. Same idea as a strimmer but you can remove the nylon spool and replace it with a metal blade.
    Stimmers are great for grass and lighter weeds like nettles.
    But tougher weeds like briars need a brush-cutter. Also, if the grass is waste high, though the nylon of a strimmer should be able to cut it down, the cuttings and detritus start getting in the way and can slow the progress of the strimmer. But a brush-cutter will slice through it all.

Advertisement