Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I buy an ebook reader?

Options
  • 23-05-2016 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Just looking for some advice :)

So I am HUGE into reading eBooks. I have absolutely hundreds of them and I spend at least an hour daily reading them. I wouldn't consider going back to paper books, ebooks are definitely the future for me.

However... I don't actually have an ebook reader! I use my iPhone for it. I have two apps on the phone (Kindle and Bluefire) and I use Kindle for my .mobis and Bluefire for my .epubs. I know you can convert them, but it just saves me hassle having two apps. I like both.

For me, there are a few huge pros to using my phone as an ebook reader:

1) I LOVE the fact that, as a consequence of my phone screen obviously being smaller than a book, I only get a little bit of text per page.
    I struggle quite a bit with concentration when it comes to reading, and I don't like having an entire page of words in front of me at once, it muddles me up. I end up losing my place, reading the same paragraph over and over, letting my eyes drift to the bottom of the page before I've read the top... I just hate it. The fact that the iPhone screen only gives me a paragraph or so per page is A+++.

2) I love the strong backlight on my phone. I've seen a few of my friends' ebook readers and the screen is just... dreary. Looks like it's switched off. Maybe a controversial opinion, but I don't want my ebook to look as real and natural as an actual book... I like my strong white electronic glare in the background!

3) I like that, as my phone obviously is in colour, my ebook shelves are in colour too. I like seeing all the colours in the covers of the books. Maybe it's a superficial thing, I dunno.. but I love looking at covers! The ebook readers I've seen all show the bookshelves in black and white? This puts me off.

HOWEVER. The reason I'm considering getting an actual physical ebook reader, or an iPad, instead of my phone:

1) I LOVE reading comics, graphic novels, manga, etc. And I've recently discovered I can do this in ebook form! Brilliant! However, my phone screen isn't big enough to comfortably read full-page comics and mangas. I've tried, and it just doesn't work. With comics and the like, you really need to be able to see the full page all at once, without needing to zoom in on every panel.

:(

So now I'm thinking I need to get something bigger, so I can read comics. What would you recommend? I'm torn between a tablet, maybe an iPad or a Samsung (which I assume would still have all the features I listed above that I love about a phone reader, while being fullscreen), or an actual ebook reader.

Is it possible to get an ebook reader which would still satisfy me in terms of the 3 points above? Or should I get a tablet? Or should I still keep using my phone for novels, and either read hard copies of comics, or read them on my laptop?

Any help would be hugely appreciated. Sorry for the essay! :) Thanks!

Advertisement