Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi strimmer - lasted ten minutes

• 23-05-2016 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

I bought a strimmer in Aldi at the weekend - GardenLine 400W Grass Trimmer (GLGT400). It took me about 15 minutes to put it together and find an extension cable, then away I went with it. First time using a strimmer and loved the easy with which it cut long grass under a tree, then started around the lawn and it died! Motor still running but no cutting.

Never having used a strimmer before, wonder did I do something wrong or is this to be expected. Manual says something about replacing cable spool, but maybe whatever that is will cost be almost as much as the strimmer.

Anyone else get one of these? Opinions? Should I just lump it in the box and bring it back?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

leck wrote: »
    I bought a strimmer in Aldi at the weekend - GardenLine 400W Grass Trimmer (GLGT400). It took me about 15 minutes to put it together and find an extension cable, then away I went with it. First time using a strimmer and loved the easy with which it cut long grass under a tree, then started around the lawn and it died! Motor still running but no cutting.

Never having used a strimmer before, wonder did I do something wrong or is this to be expected. Manual says something about replacing cable spool, but maybe whatever that is will cost be almost as much as the strimmer.

Anyone else get one of these? Opinions? Should I just lump it in the box and bring it back?
    Just pull out the cable a few inches. You have to pull out a new bit every so often as it wears down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

RTFM? :-)

You'll probably find how to pull the cable out from the spool in the instructions....although from the sound of it you might have to dismantle the spool to find the end of the cable if it's disappeared inside the spool....best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭leck

exaisle wrote: »
    RTFM? :-)

You'll probably find how to pull the cable out from the spool in the instructions....although from the sound of it you might have to dismantle the spool to find the end of the cable if it's disappeared inside the spool....best of luck!
    Must have disappeared inside the spool. Nothing visible. Actually when I started putting it together, I was wondering what the white plastic tie was, I was going to cut it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

You need to get more of the white cable, it's what spins and cuts the grass.

It's only plastic so it breaks often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

No bump feed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Op you brightened up my morning. We've all been there:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

After that calamity of a start I find it my civic duty to remind you to unplug it before tinkering with the spool or you'll feel the wrath of that cable tie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

meh plastic aldi stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

gctest50 wrote: »
    meh plastic aldi stuff

Well done. Keep your €35 for your Aldi strimmer in your pocket and instead run out and buy a MIG welder a chop saw for metal, an angle grinder, a drill, various sheet metals, bolts and nuts, book crash courses in welding and metal fabrication and finally still cut with plastic line. :)
    Impressive piece of engineering all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Ah that's funny!

Seriously though you should expect to get at least another 3 weeks out of the aldi strimmer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Op you brightened up my morning. We've all been there:D

Have we really, somehow I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

homer911 wrote: »
    No bump feed?

Depends if the cable broke inside our outside the little hole

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Depends if the cable broke inside our outside the little hole
    Inside I presume as don't see any trace on outside. Can't even manage to take cap off to look at the spool that you promise me is inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Inside I presume as don't see any trace on outside. Can't even manage to take cap off to look at the spool that you promise me is inside.

Usually there are two semi circular spuds on either side of the spool cap that you push in and just lift off the cap. Surely you got a manual with the strimmer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Take a picture of the bottom of the strimmer and post it up here

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Usually there are two semi circular spuds on either side of the spool cap that you push in and just lift off the cap. Surely you got a manual with the strimmer.
    Yes there are two lugs on side, which manual says to push in, but top not popping off, it's a cheap plastic cap and it just bulges when I press the lugs but doesn't come off. Probably need some brute force. Will give it another try later.

And yes, there is a manual or leaflet with the strimmer, but written poorly as these things usually are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

If you have no idea how to use a tool as potentially dangerous as a strimmer, may I suggest doing a little research first, use youtube etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

concrete your garden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Got a good laugh outta this.

Can't beat the bump feed though.

OP take a look at this. B&D, but it should be similar enough to your to give you an idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

Yes there are two lugs on side, which manual says to push in, but top not popping off, it's a cheap plastic cap and it just bulges when I press the lugs but doesn't come off. Probably need some brute force. Will give it another try later.

And yes, there is a manual or leaflet with the strimmer, but written poorly as these things usually are.

Suggest you push the top in and twist anti-clockwise at the same time. These usually have retaining lugs that the "push" passes them and the "twist" moves away from them. If this works do the opposite to replace the cap after unwinding some of the plastic strimmer-cord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Maybe it's my inner skeptic, but I can't believe this is not a wind-up.

Advertisement