Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you used technology enhanced learning?

• 23-05-2016 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

What are your thoughts on using technology enhanced learning (TEL) methods in your classroom? I think there are some great resources out there but I don't know how practical their implementation would be. I'd love to hear if you have used any TEL methods in your teaching and how good, or bad, you found them to be.

Have you used TEL methods in your classroom? 28 votes

Yes and I think they are beneficial to students.
    0% 0 votes
    Yes but I do not think they are beneficial to students.
    67% 19 votes
    No but I would like to try them.
    3% 1 vote
    No and I don't want to try them.
    17% 5 votes
    Other.
    10% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Not trying to be pedantic, but how would you define Technology Enhanced Learning (full disclosure: I'm doing research in this area, so I have an almost unhealthy interest in these things :))

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mathstulip

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Not trying to be pedantic, but how would you define Technology Enhanced Learning (full disclosure: I'm doing research in this area, so I have an almost unhealthy interest in these things :))

I guess what I mean by TEL would be using online resources with your students in class like doing excercises or educational games on an ipad or computer.

Have you published any work in this area Tom? I must check it out! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

mathstulip wrote: »
    Have you published any work in this area Tom? I must check it out! :)

I have recently submitted and article for publication in this area, just waiting on the decision. Fingers crossed. :)

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I have recently submitted and article for publication in this area, just waiting on the decision. Fingers crossed. :)

Oh best of luck with it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I'm a tech addict. Take this evening:

1. Emailed all 5th year students a PDF of material for their summer exam and individually emailed them written feedback and results from their practicals
    2. Created bundles of exam questions from examinations and uploaded them to google classroom for my 2nd years to use revising maths on a request from a student
    3. Replied to three students with various questions on google classroom from 3rd year maths and 2nd year music
    4. Emailed confirmation of video practicals received from 2nd year music students
    5. Emailed replies to 11 different queries related to second year maths revision for the summer exam and posted video reminders of the -b formula and quadratics to google classroom (created using explain everything on the ipad)
    6. Posted images to second years to remind them of how to find the slope of a line on a diagram

Now normally I wouldn't have quite as many queries but the 2nd year maths exam is tomorrow and my class are really working very hard to achieve at HL. Most evenings I'll get one or maybe two. They know they may or may not get a reply-if they don't get a reply they know I will go through that problem the next day in class. Tonight I replied to everyone because I know they are worried

I started creating explain everything video walkthrough of problems as students request them. The second years love this and I have gone looking for feedback from them to see if they think its worth it-unanimous agreement that its a brilliant aid. It allows them to watch me do a question as many times as they like. Its me doing it so there is no issues with different countries terminology or methods. It means they can get walkthroughs of problems they don't want to ask in class. There were a myriad of reasons given for loving it. They are very quick and easy for me to create though the rendering is a bit of a pain in the neck as my ipad is pretty old.

• Advertisement

Tonight I replied to everyone because I know they are worried

You have some pretty lucky students there! I wonder where your use of technology in the classroom falls along the spectrum. I would imagine the less tech-savvy teachers use more traditional methods in their classrooms...and are not on boards.ie to answer 'no' to the above poll :)

mathstulip wrote: »
    You have some pretty lucky students there! I wonder where your use of technology in the classroom falls along the spectrum. I would imagine the less tech-savvy teachers use more traditional methods in their classrooms...and are not on boards.ie to answer 'no' to the above poll :)

According to one of the book companies (I reviewed a digital product for them) there is the spectrum from digital phobic to digital teacher. They joke I'm off the end of the scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 scrumtum

never heard of google classroom is it free?

scrumtum wrote: »
    never heard of google classroom is it free?

Yeah. Your school needs to have education emails tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

I train teachers in the use of technology in the classroom. There is indeed a huge spectrum. Everyone from the technocrat to the technophobe.

Even those who are phobic of technology want to make use of it because of it's ability to help with student engagement.

Two factors of utmost importance to teachers when choosing a tool are ease of use and curriculum relevance.

It makes sense. Nobody wants to waste precious time and nobody wants an overly complex system that makes additional demands of them or their students.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I'm a parent and Ive been using Khanacademy Maths with mine. biggest game changer in my kids education . It has a teacher class setting as well and one of his teachers did use it for a bit but not with much follow through. my eldest is in 5th class and we are rocking our way through Algebra 1 which would be about 2nd/3rd year here. It wouldn't have worked using books.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement