Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Public Lecture - UCC (E-Cigaettes)

Options
  • 23-05-2016 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

There will be a free public lecture taking place in University College Cork on Thursday the 26th May at 7pm. The lecture is entitled 'Tobacco and E-Cigarettes: the good, the bad and the ugly’ and will be given by Professor Kenneth Ward a Professor in the School of Public Health at the University of Memphis.

Professor Ward is the Director of the Division of Social and Behavioural Sciences and his research looks at approaches to reducing the burden of tobacco use and other addictive behaviors. Professor Ward is also a current Fulbright Scholar at the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, where he is collaborating on research on smoking cessation in patients with chronic medical conditions.

Despite considerable progress, tobacco continues to kill more than 5 million people around the world each year. Dr. Ward will provide a brief overview of the history, causes, and consequences of tobacco use, and then discuss what we know about the latest strains in the global tobacco epidemic, and whether e-cigarettes are help or hype.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

anyone go to this??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Bit too far for me, up in Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

Feck, missed it,
    Would have gone to it.

Anybody know how it went?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

macker33 wrote: »
    Feck, missed it,
    Would have gone to it.

Anybody know how it went?

From reports Iv had, it went OK ish. No mentions of The RCP report and Prof Ward admitted he hadn't seen the Horizon show. Mostly he was quoting american studies esp Glantz.
    My source said what was most shocking was the level of ignorance among the audience, remember these are post doc grads and HSE and health board people.
    They asked about popcorn lung and the ones who actually saw the Horizon episode dismissed all the positive stuff in it as "TV bullsh*t".
    Its despair making if this is the level of education thats being produced. I understand a post grad student is under pressure but to be in the field and not have come across the PHE or RSP reports while being up to date on the Korean gateway rubbish and Glantz's meta study shows that a lot of propaganda is being shoveled at these students who seem to be unable to do the simplest google search.
    All this is second hand of course but my undercover agent is reliable ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭redkid

I think we are just at the peak of the curve now in relation the anti vaping propaganda that is out there, scientific studies are showing favorable and that is only going to improve as further research is being done, with regards to a lot of the propaganda that was first spun a lot of it was from the tobacco industry which of course now is on board with vaping as it continues to buy up vaping suppliers, pretty soon it will have a very large market share. Public perception however is a totally different story those fools who want to insist that its worse than smoking well thats just an intelligence level that i would be angry with myself for lowering to argue with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

redkid wrote: »
    I think we are just at the peak of the curve now in relation the anti vaping propaganda that is out there, scientific studies are showing favorable and that is only going to improve as further research is being done, with regards to a lot of the propaganda that was first spun a lot of it was from the tobacco industry which of course now is on board with vaping as it continues to buy up vaping suppliers, pretty soon it will have a very large market share. Public perception however is a totally different story those fools who want to insist that its worse than smoking well thats just an intelligence level that i would be angry with myself for lowering to argue with

Actually the tobacco industry paid very little attention to vaping in till it threatened their share of the market, tobacco control was first off the blocks with the anti vaping propaganda and if you think we've reached peak you are wrong. All the stuff from ASH UK is an outlier, the rest of tobacco control is as anti vaping as ever. Even ASH see vaping as a temporary measure. They no more support the idea of recreational nicotine use than they support smoking. Make no mistake as we know from the campaign against Snus, tobacco control is a temperance movement and harm reduction is not on their agenda.
    Read this to see how little has changed.

http://velvetgloveironfist.blogspot.ie/2016/06/history-repeating-snus-and-e-cigarettes.html

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭redkid

No the tobacco industry thought the would crush vaping and starting investing when it became clear it wasn't going away.
    As for vaping being a temporary measure for the vast majority of people who vape it is just that. Even advanced vapers on here and else where don't see themselves vaping forever and let's be honest it's marketed as an aid to quit smoking. Organizations like ash and others it's deeply ingrained to be anti the concept of vaping and as I said fresh and new research will open people's eyes or it will open ours one or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

Probably just as well i missed it, If somebody started saying something bad i'd start to hop.
    I'm not surprised governments dont like it, pretty big loss in tobacco revenue for them,
    For the irish government alone thats half a billion loss in revenue a year after the price of health care etc is taken into account.

Advertisement