Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about enrolling for primary school

Options
  • 23-05-2016 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

Our little boy will hopefully be starting school in September 2018. Our local primary school is a 5 minute walk so that's where we are hoping to enrol him. Just checked their policy and it says to put the child's name in 2 years in advance (ie now). Fair enough.

I was wondering, on the off chance that the school is oversubscribed and he doesn't get a place, do I need to put his name down in a few different schools? My friend told me last week that she put her child's name down for preschool and primary when she was still pregnant :eek: If I were to put his name down for a few different schools it could get costly, as each application needs an original birth cert. My OH is driving me mental going on about how if we had baptised the kids, they would have an advantage to get into the school :rolleyes: Argh!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

They don't normally keep the birth cert.
    I would put his name down in any local school of choice,just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Have a chat with the school principal regarding the numbers and whether the school is currently over subscribed, and find out what there enrolment policy is, it maybe on the school website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I will definitely give the principal a ring in the morning. I checked their policy, first priorities are siblings of present pupils and children living in the parish. Third priority is to catholics, but our area is fairly diverse, hence my OH thinking we are at a disadvantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We had our eldest down in 3 schools in our area. We're not RC. It was the RC school that offered him a place which he loves. I'm now on the board of management. so much for generalised bias against non RC families, though I'm probably the exception in finding a very understanding school.

We had our eldest down in 3 schools in our area. We're not RC. It was the RC school that offered him a place which he loves. I'm now on the board of management, so much for generalised bias against non RC families.

I am delighted to hear this :D Do you mind me asking how do you manage the religion aspect? Does your son join in with the lessons or does he sit out/do a different activity?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I am delighted to hear this :D Do you mind me asking how do you manage the religion aspect? Does your son join in with the lessons or does he sit out/do a different activity?

We had the option of leaving him doing some colouring, in another class or staying for RE. We chose the latter having seen the book.
    When he gets to communion year (1st class), we will pull him out of class. Junior and senior infants don't go to mass, so its not an issue for us. Keeping 5/6 year olds quiet for 30 minutes is impossible, so the school have a good perspective on things.
    There are about 10% of students who aren't RC in the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Our little boy will hopefully be starting school in September 2018. Our local primary school is a 5 minute walk so that's where we are hoping to enrol him. Just checked their policy and it says to put the child's name in 2 years in advance (ie now). Fair enough.

I was wondering, on the off chance that the school is oversubscribed and he doesn't get a place, do I need to put his name down in a few different schools? My friend told me last week that she put her child's name down for preschool and primary when she was still pregnant :eek: If I were to put his name down for a few different schools it could get costly, as each application needs an original birth cert. My OH is driving me mental going on about how if we had baptised the kids, they would have an advantage to get into the school :rolleyes: Argh!

When I filled out my boys enrolment forms, I brought in the original birth cery, they copied it, and handed it back to me- seems unusual that they would all be looking for originals!
    I put his name down for two schools- our local school which is rural, and one nearer to where I work, which would be quite popular. Their enrolment policy would be to give priority to siblings, and then go to the list and offer placed in order of when names went on said list. Your best bet is probably to ring and find out the score. You might be lucky or unlucky as regards numbers of siblings. Hopefully the religious aspect won't be an issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

It really depends on your area: I live in a small town: there's the girls school, boys school, Irish school and 5 mixed rural schools within a 10 min drive of us all undersubscribed. So I'll put her down somewhere next year. She's starting Sept 2017.

Preschools on the other hand are totally over subscribed and I have my youngest booked in for ECCE years in 2017 and 2018 already!

I rang the school and they told me there would be no problem getting a place. Phew :) I rang the preschool last week as my boy will be due to start sept 2017 and there was no problem with a place there either, although the morning session was full so I had to opt for the afternoon one. Mini panic over!

Advertisement