Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What weedkiller can I buy ?

Options
  • 24-05-2016 7:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭

I use roundup biactive concentrate every year about a 1/2 litre of concentrate does the job per year at 1:67 mix rato. I need to buy some this year .

With the new regulations can I still purchase it ?

I see it for sale at various online irish retailers but don't know if I need a licence to purchase it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Yes, for domestic purpose you can buy away. They are regarded as amature products and require no liscence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

1:67??? 10mls of roundup per litre of water is the recommended ratio - 1:100

You don't need a license to buy 1L of herbicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

1:67??? 10mls of roundup per litre of water is the recommended ratio - 1:100

You don't need a license to buy 1L of herbicide.

15ml is recommended for biactive roundup knapsack application by the manufacturer and that's what I've been using to kill big thistles and rushes mostly.i'd use 10ml if it was just grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

For perennial weeds they actually recommend 25ml per litre, but it also depends on the nozzle and pressure being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gautama

Roundup contains glyphosate and is due to be restricted by the EU this summer.
    Once the restrictions are in place only professionals will be able to buy and use it.
    So, if you have a patch of weeks that you want killed with Roundup you'll need to hire a gardener to kill them for you. Or else use some other weed killer.
    As "Roundup" is an established successful brand it'll probably remain on the market but will have glyphosate replaced with a different active compound.
    This has happened to a host of weedkillers over the last couple of decades.
    Stock up now!!! While you can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Bought 5L of Gallup today. The guy at the till asked for a name and address (didn't have to be my name or address) because they have to have to account for who they sell their product to. He didn't need to know if I had a license or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭shane b

I think you can buy the larger sizes but the restriction is that you have to be able to account for the your usage of the product (by a registered contractor who can give you proof of use). when you buy the 5 litre size your name and address is registered with the department and they can do spot checks to see how much your using and when.
    This is the way I interpreted the regulations a while ago but Im open to correction on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Gautama wrote: »
    Roundup contains glyphosate and is due to be restricted by the EU this summer.
    Once the restrictions are in place only professionals will be able to buy and use it.
    So, if you have a patch of weeks that you want killed with Roundup you'll need to hire a gardener to kill them for you. Or else use some other weed killer.
    As "Roundup" is an established successful brand it'll probably remain on the market but will have glyphosate replaced with a different active compound.
    This has happened to a host of weedkillers over the last couple of decades.
    Stock up now!!! While you can.

Where did you hear this for Ireland? Control/recording of the selling of large quantities are in place, nothing else.
    Link?

lk67 wrote: »
    Where did you hear this for Ireland?
    Ireland is in the EU. EU restrictions will also apply to Ireland.
    Control/recording of the selling of large quantities are in place, nothing else.
    Yes, I agree. However, if you read my post:
    Gautama wrote: »
    ... is due to be restricted by the EU this summer.

Link?

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/pdfs/weedkiller-for-home-gardeners

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Cheers for the geography lesson. :-)

You need to read that PDF again and note the words 'may' and 'proposes'...

• Advertisement

Cheers for the geography lesson. :-)

You need to read that PDF again and note the words 'may' and 'proposes'...

It's better to be looking at it than looking for it.

Advertisement