Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

25 Syrian families to be housed in Limerick

• 24-05-2016 9:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭

According to the Limerick Post 25 Syrian families are to be housed in Limerick this year as part of an EU initiative with many more to follow.

What are people's thoughts on this? Where will they be housed? Will they be added to the top or the bottom of the housing list? Will they be properly screened?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Ohbethehokey

Top of the housing list, no screening, that's my prediction

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭crusha101

This could go one of two ways tbh. I think a lot of people believe these Syrian immigrants to be uncivilized and poorly educated and that will lead to a lot of unjust hate but what some people don't understand is that these immigrants are teachers and engineers and nurses who are escaping a war zone.( that wasn't aimed at any posts on this thread but it is aimed at potential posts). If the system was fair and just then these people will be screened and will be fairly placed on the housing list but unfortunately we do not live in a perfect world and i believe the Syrians will be mostly un-screened and will be placed on top of the housing list.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭VikingG

Hardly a huge influx.....

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭ShiddyArze

VikingG wrote:
    Hardly a huge influx.....

25 families, about 8 or 9 kids each, its enough.. A lot of Irish people move down the housing lists for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

I would say no problem, however they should be spread as far apart from each other as possible. The worst thing that could happen is they are given houses in groups alongside each other. They wont integrate otherwise.

Of course this is my uneducated opinion on the matter, however I have lived in the UK and what tends to happen is that small pockets of them form their own little community and they will become insular. If they are given the opportunity to live and work amongst the community then brilliant.

Don't forget once they become naturalised, they are allowed bring close family over, so if an Aunt/uncle etc were living with them in Syria, they are also entitled to come here under EU Rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Smart thinking by the government on dumping them in Limerick they'll be running back to Aleppo in no time hahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭love humanity

We can help refugees from Syria in the neighbouring safe war free countries they are currently in. No need to move them all over to Europe. That's a failed policy. I can't wait for the EU to collapse so we can get our sovereignty back and not be told to do rubbish that doesn't work by non Irish people in a parliament in Belgium.

ShiddyArze wrote: »
    crusha101 wrote:
    This could go one of two ways tbh. I think a lot of people believe these Syrian immigrants to be uncivilized and poorly educated and that will lead to a lot of unjust hate but what some people don't understand is that these immigrants are teachers and engineers and nurses who are escaping a war zone.( that wasn't aimed at any posts on this thread but it is aimed at potential posts). If the system was fair and just then these people will be screened and will be fairly placed on the housing list but unfortunately we do not live in a perfect world and i believe the Syrians will be mostly un-screened and will be placed on top of the housing list.

And you know this how? A lot of these Syrians also think they can molest women for not covering up.
    You have proved my point perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Ohbethehokey

And you know this how? A lot of these Syrians also think they can molest women for not covering up.

They've the whole culture imbalance where requests must be deferred to the man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Integration is a two way street. No matter what their need not how well screened they are I doubt they will be accepted to the level where integration will be easy for them.
    In areas where poor integration occurs you find as much the problem with the host country as any other. France would be a good example of this where hoards of non nationals are banished to suburbs and then no investment in education, integration or employment is made, not much wonder these groups become insular.

I think limiting the numbers placed together is a good idea to help, but Irish people need to be genuinely open to them coming and give them a fair chance, something I fear won't really happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

We can help refugees from Syria in the neighbouring safe war free countries they are currently in. No need to move them all over to Europe. That's a failed policy. I can't wait for the EU to collapse so we can get our sovereignty back and not be told to do rubbish that doesn't work by non Irish people in a parliament in Belgium.

Ironic username on purpose?
    cronin_j wrote:
    I would say no problem, however they should be spread as far apart from each other as possible. The worst thing that could happen is they are given houses in groups alongside each other. They wont integrate otherwise.

Exactly this. I don't have a problem with Ireland taking refugees but if I were in charge I'd make sure they agree that they MUST learn English and they MUST integrate.

If that happened then there would he no problem. They could integrate their way if life into an Irish setting and nobody would really care. Lots of families have different ways of going on and we don't care as long as they can eventually get a job and have a chat in the shop. They would be just like regular folk.

Ironic username on purpose?

Exactly this. I don't have a problem with Ireland taking refugees but if I were in charge I'd make sure they agree that they MUST learn English and they MUST integrate.

If that happened then there would he no problem. They could integrate their way if life into an Irish setting and nobody would really care. Lots of families have different ways of going on and we don't care as long as they can eventually get a job and have a chat in the shop. They would be just like regular folk.

Being realistic. The influx of millions of men from very mysogynistic cultures have wreaked havoc on the quality of life, personal safety and freedom of women in germany, austria, sweden and denmark and more.
    The only logical solution i see is, spending BILLIONS to look after and care for the migrants in the war free safe areas where they are now, such as Lebanon, Jordan, Turkey etc.. Focus the money there and care for them. When Syria reaches peace again, build up the country like there is no tomorrow and then they can go back home and create a happy life there again.
    There are literally millions of ways of helping less fortunate people in other countries without inviting them all over to live with us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

cronin_j wrote: »

This is already a real issue in Limerick with 51-60% of the entire migrant population concentrated into very specific areas within the city centre.

I think it's a good move that Limerick is doing their bit to support refugees fleeing from desperate situations. I think more cultures and nationalities will ultimately enrich life in Limerick.

Regular folk don't wear masks over there face, They don't attack women for not wearing said mask. Regular folk allow there women to work and to do things without being accompanied by a man..

The problem is Islam I think, I am not religious, but I wouldn't mind Syrian Christians, Its the Muslims I wouldn't like to see living next door

panda100 wrote: »
    Post reported. That is some (presumably made up) assertion to make about an entire population. What exactly do you base it on? An article in the Limerick Post or The Daily Mail?

This is already a real issue in Limerick with 51-60% of the entire migrant population concentrated into very specific areas within the city centre.

I think it's a good move that Limerick is doing their bit to support refugees fleeing from desperate situations. I think more cultures and nationalities will ultimately enrich life in Limerick.

Why post a report there? He didn't say the entire population, he said a lot. And it has proven true in Cologne on NYE and other capitals of Europe that night. Not to mention the daily sexual assaults by men from these cultures have sky rocketed across Germany. Seriously, every news source covers this if you look for it you will find it. It's not a "right wing news" rubbish thing. It's a very sad fact : (

100s of videos on YouTube, Gospil from family I have living in Stuttgart. Actual research and not blind liberalism

And I said "A LOT" not the entire population.. My post was accurate.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

*Mod Note* Okay folks, handed out one warning already, this is a relevant topic but keep it without any racist/sexist/silly remarks.

Apt username crusha101

Crush any debate by reporting accurate, factual posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

I like how everyone assumes its the city. Does it say if it's the county too?

Apt username crusha101

Crush any debate by reporting accurate, factual posts.
    Have never made a report, I'm a fan of free speech.

I wont go into how fitting your username is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

I have no problem with refugees moving to the city/county. They're coming from a warzone. Ordinary everyday people, plumbers, mechanics, teachers, nurses, doctors.

We can find undesirables alot closer to home.... fist fighting on William Street in broad daylight for example.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

ShiddyArze wrote:
    The problem is Islam I think, I am not religious, but I wouldn't mind Syrian Christians, Its the Muslims I wouldn't like to see living next door

The Shia Sufi's non conformed Sunnis and Yazidis are being persecuted also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Does this reduce the already limited rental properties in the area

I have no problem with refugees moving to the city/county. They're coming from a warzone. Ordinary everyday people, plumbers, mechanics, teachers, nurses, doctors.

We can find undesirables alot closer to home.... fist fighting on William Street in broad daylight for example.

I wish it was that simple. They come from extremely mysogynist cultures. Remember Cologne on new years ever ? over 1000 german women were assaulted by them and it happened that night in other European cities too. On a daily basis , sexual assaults on women have sky rocketed in Germany. You can find it in any new source.
    That's why I suggest we help these people in other ways instead of inviting them all to move over to live with us because that doesn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Every culture and nationality has shítheads. I wouldn't deny anyone the chance to flee from war based on what crimes their countrymen have committed.

Limerick shouldn't have cultural borders.

I wish it was that simple. They come from extremely mysogynist cultures. Remember Cologne on new years ever ? over 1000 german women were assaulted by them and it happened that night in other European cities too. On a daily basis , sexual assaults on women have sky rocketed in Germany. You can find it in any new source.
    That's why I suggest we help these people in other ways instead of inviting them all to move over to live with us because that doesn't work.

You're tarring everyone with the same brush. Every Limerick person doesn't fist fight in William St but if someone where to put Limerick into Google News today guess what would pop up.

Many years ago, I had a stop over in Heathrow (coming from continent). Security stopped the only Irish people on the plane, man that hurt so much. It still upsets me today that we were stopped because we were Irish. I swore I'd never do that to anyone because it is so wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

Totally agree with this. We can't just turn our backs & say let someone else deal with it - do people realise what these people are fleeing from?

What are the big nations & global organisations like UN etc doing to help to stop what's going on in Syria tough - that's the bit I find hard to understand / don't know enough about. It's so sad :(

You're tarring everyone with the same brush. Every Limerick person doesn't fist fight in William St but if someone where to put Limerick into Google News today guess what would pop up.

Many years ago, I had a stop over in Heathrow (coming from continent). Security stopped the only Irish people on the plane, man that hurt so much. It still upsets me today that we were stopped because we were Irish. I swore I'd never do that to anyone because it is so wrong.

I've friends in Germany (women) who told me things have changed a lot for them now, and they have to very careful now , in their own words. So basically they lost a lot of their freedoms and personal safety they once had only a year or so ago. We can be compassionate towards them and help them in the neighbouring countries they are right now where there is no war, lebanon, jordan, turkey etc..

I've friends in Germany (women) who told me things have changed a lot for them now, and they have to very careful now , in their own words. So basically they lost a lot of their freedoms and personal safety they once had only a year or so ago. We can be compassionate towards them and help them in the neighbouring countries they are right now where there is no war, lebanon, jordan, turkey etc..

Turkey is no paradise, there's been bombings lately. Also differing off shoots of Islam and differing political views might mean they don't want to go to those countries.

It'd be like saying to an Irish Catholic refugee, we've a spot for you in America. It's in Amish country, you'll have to wear the bonnet, give up all electronics but no worries, you're all Christian, be grand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

ShiddyArze wrote:
    25 families, about 8 or 9 kids each, its enough.. A lot of Irish people move down the housing lists for them

Where's the 8 or 9 kids thing coming from? My Syrian friend has only one sibling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement