Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

25 Syrian families to be housed in Limerick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

The Saint wrote:
    The initial screening of refugees is conducted by UNHCR.

So the millions who poured into Europe last year were screened? The bearded children. Those who conveniently lost their identification. Those who bought fake Syrian documents in Turkey. Those who organised and participated mass sexual assault.

Good job!

Bringing them into Europe is wrong. Genuine refugees are being exploited and drowning in the med due to Merkel's irresponsible and downright dangerous stance. Real vulnerable people are being left behind.

mitresize5 wrote:
    If any country in the world should be putting their hands up to accept refugees from a war torn country it should be Ireland.

Why should I care that paddy got a job in London back in the 80s? Nothing to do with me. The host country decided to accept him. Similarly we should be able to decide who comes here.

zulutango wrote:
    It sounds like racism alright, but maybe the poster has evidence that Syrians have 8 or 9 kids on average.

In general people who are poor or from and war zone have lots of children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

What??

Wars make people have kids, or something? (Actually, the opposite is the case)

My friend is from Syria, and is here as a refugee. She has a post graduate degree, works for a major tech company, and doesn't have kids. Maybe she's the exception. I hope she's not though, because she's seriously hot and smart and our gene pool could do with the infusion of some Syrian DNA! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

So the millions who poured into Europe last year were screened? The bearded children. Those who conveniently lost their identification. Those who bought fake Syrian documents in Turkey. Those who organised and participated mass sexual assault.
    Given how I laid out the screening process for any refugees to come here, I can only assume that you are deliberately obfuscating and trying to conflate the issue of these 25 refugee families completely irrelevant arguemements.

Those who would have crossed into Europe would likely not have been screened and certainly would not be part of the 103,890 refugees out of 14.4 million (less than 1% screened) put forward for resettlement. The majority of those who arrived in Europe would not have even been processed by UNHCR. Those put forward to resettlement would have been thoroughly vetted as well as their documentation. Again, those involved in the Cologne attacks were predominately north African.

You are clearly have no interest in discussing the issue of these 25 refugee families and are looking for any unrelated issue that you can conjour up to back up a non-existent point. Why don't you deal with the issue and the facts at hand and leave the hysterical bull**** out of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

The conflict broke out in 2011. So you mean to say in the last 5 years, people in Syria just decided to start popping out more children for ****s a giggles? I'm not sure how it is biologically possible for a woman to have 8-9 children in the space of half a decade. Also, Syria wasn't a poor third world ****hole before the conflict broke out. Again, don't let the facts get in the way of nonsense arguments based on preconceived prejudices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Originally Posted by stefanovich View Post

the evidence suggests that birth rate in war torn countries stays steady or declines

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1625481/?page=4

zulutango wrote: »
    What??
    Wars make people have kids, or something? (Actually, the opposite is the case)
    Poor people have more kids, that's a fact. Perhaps war doesn't increase birth rates but cessation does. Plus some of them have plans

My friend is from Syria, and is here as a refugee. She has a post graduate degree, works for a major tech company, and doesn't have kids. Maybe she's the exception. I hope she's not though, because she's seriously hot and smart and our gene pool could do with the infusion of some Syrian DNA! :D
    So she is actually from Syria and sounds like someone who would be granted entry on her own merit. Not your average uneducated immigrant. I know a Syrian here too. He believes the entire war is Israel's fault. Weird huh?
    The Saint wrote: »
    Given how I laid out the screening process for any refugees to come here, I can only assume that you are deliberately obfuscating and trying to conflate the issue of these 25 refugee families completely irrelevant arguemements.
    Firstly I don't trust the UNHCR, they have a political agenda. Biased against Israel for a start. Also, they are only screening those coming from the Lebanon, not from European countries. Yes, we are getting immigrants from European countries "screened" by Frontex.
    BoatMad wrote: »
    the evidence suggests that birth rate in war torn countries stays steady or declines

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1625481/?page=4

Okay well see above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

No back seat modding. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Glad to hear we are doing our bit. These people are fleeing a horrendous, brutal situation. I'm no fan of many aspects of Islam and culture from that region but a bit of compassion wouldn't go amiss here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Where's the 8 or 9 kids thing coming from? My Syrian friend has only one sibling.

I just assumed someone thought it was the norm given it would have been here a generation or so ago. I think people get confused not realising Syria was probably at about the same stage of development as Ireland prior to the war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

Smart thinking by the government on dumping them in Limerick they'll be running back to Aleppo in no time hahahaha

Remind me again which Irish city had a murder yesterday..... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Poor people have more kids, that's a fact. Perhaps war doesn't increase birth rates but cessation does.

Actually it's not a fact. Populations with high infant mortality and poor education have more children. It just so happens that the three intersect. You only need to lift a country out of poverty very slightly and provide very rudimentary education for birth rates to drastically decline. Case in point: Ireland.

Of course mental indoctrinated religion doesn't help - but then I expect the situation isn't too different in Syria (bu-dum tidh).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Young Blood

Our family home was recently repossessed by the banks. When my parents were struggling the government did nothing to help. Now they are homeless they are not entitled to anything. They will be years on the housing list after paying tax all their lives.vSyrian refugees and the eu can go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

Were the Irish given priority when they immigrated years back? Did they ****, They were made work for it!

Look after our own as the above case, Forget bringing in more until we can sort the homelessness.

magma69 wrote:
    Glad to hear we are doing our bit. These people are fleeing a horrendous, brutal situation. I'm no fan of many aspects of Islam and culture from that region but a bit of compassion wouldn't go amiss here.

Do we know who they are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Ohbethehokey

Terrorists organisations aren't gonna take the time/ a chance and send some lads across the Mediterranean in a rickedy dingy. They have the money and resources to send people by regular means.

Imagine, hypothetically, the US invaded our West Coast, we all pile into a dingy and head for Wales. We get there and someone says "Hold on! Irish? I heard some Irish people were in the IRA. Not taking the chance, no Irish people allowed in!". Would you be happy to keep rowing to France?
    I wouldn't head for France, the refugees are all trying to escape Calais. Apparently there's a war on there too or some thing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Do we know who they are?

Why are you asking me that? I don't work for the immigration/refugee department. :rolleyes:

magma69 wrote: »
    Why are you asking me that? I don't work for the immigration/refugee department. :rolleyes:
    OKay then. Do you know where they are from? Are they Syrian? Do they have a criminal past? Are they connected to Islamic extremists?

Are they even being screened by Ireland before they come? Nope. They are just being dumped here by Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Lets hope they are welcomed with open arms.but if they commit any crimes ,that they be deported immediately.

• Advertisement

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Lets hope they are welcomed with open arms.but if they commit any crimes ,that they be deported immediately.

Pity we don't have that option for some of our own scumbags....

Pity we don't have that option for some of our own scumbags....
    I'm loving the "sure it will be grand" attitude you folks are taking.

Islam is fundamentally opposed to our way of life and the people who follow this doctrine are instructed by their good book to infiltrate and ultimately take over. Reference any country with significant Muslim immigration and you will see evidence of the same.

Edit: Not to mention how they view your wives, sisters, daughters and mothers. As immodest and immoral people.

I'm loving the "sure it will be grand" attitude you folks are taking.

Where did I take that attitude ?
    Islam is fundamentally opposed to our way of life and the people who follow this doctrine are instructed by their good book to infiltrate and ultimately take over. Reference any country with significant Muslim immigration and you will see evidence of the same.

What "way of life" would that be ? Greed and consumerism and "celebrity culture" ? Wars based on lies for no reasons other than control and profit ?

You could argue that I'm fundamentally opposed to that way of life myself.

Throwaway marriages, using and manipulating people, style over substance, money talks ? Yup, I'd certainly detest all that.

As for the doctrine, anyone who takes religion literally is nuts, and - just as with the scumbag element - we have our own of those too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Why should I care that paddy got a job in London back in the 80s? Nothing to do with me.

It certainly matters to me. I grew up in London to Irish emigrant parents. I have three sisters and a brother so five of us in total (small family by Syrian standards apparently but large by UK standards). I went to state school over there and my parents were able to give themselves and then their family every opportunity in life that would have been impossible in 1960's Ireland.

These 25 syrian families are seeking exactly the same as my parents did for me. We are so lucky that we are living in a peaceful country and we should be welcoming our fellow humans whom are fleeing violent conflict and war.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭crusha101

The Australian PM put it very well in a speech on Muslim immigration. Sounds harsh at first but when you think about it its perfect. I really hope a genuine attempt is made to help the Syrian families integrate. Educating school children on the plight of their new Syrian classmates would be a great start so that these kids wont be referred to as terrorists.

IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT Take It Or Leave It. I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Bali , we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians.
    This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom.
    We speak mainly ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese,
    Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, learn the language!
    Most Australians believe in God. This is not some Christian, right wing, political push, but a fact, because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.
    We will accept your beliefs, and will not question why. All we ask is that you accept ours, and live in harmony and peaceful enjoyment with us.
    This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our Christian beliefs, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom, THE RIGHT TO LEAVE .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Cordell

What "way of life" would that be ? Greed and consumerism and "celebrity culture" ?
    It would be the way of life that provides you with the absolute freedom of choice to a life a life full of greed and consumerism or to choose to oppose it.

I am a non-catholic immigrant, yet I raise my kids to respect and embrace the local traditions, I have no problem with them getting involved in any celebration or whatever that is Catholicism related, we are not asking for anything special, we do our best to integrate and contribute. If the refugees will be like us then I cannot see the problem. But in the same time there is a burka wearing family at our kids school. They don't speak with anyone unless absolutely necessary, they pulled their kids from the Easter Rising celebration, they protested having the pancake day. This kind will never integrate.

panda100 wrote:
    These 25 syrian families are seeking exactly the same as my parents did for me. We are so lucky that we are living in a peaceful country and we should be welcoming our fellow humans whom are fleeing violent conflict and war.
    Irish and English cultures are close, always have been as we are neighbours. You were economic migrants and the UK decided they wanted you there. Perhaps it was mutually beneficial or perhaps it was a mistake, who knows.

Doesn't mean there is an obligation on Ireland to open its doors to the third world, to an alien culture .

Again with the guilt trip.

Cordell wrote:
    I am a non-catholic immigrant, yet I raise my kids to respect and embrace the local traditions, I have no problem with them getting involved in any celebration or whatever that is Catholicism related, we are not asking for anything special, we do our best to integrate and contribute. If the refugees will be like us then I cannot see the problem. But in the same time there is a burka wearing family at our kids school. They don't speak with anyone unless absolutely necessary, they pulled their kids from the Easter Rising celebration, they protested having the pancake day. This kind will never integrate.
    You are exactly the kind of immigrant I welcome with open arms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Irish and English cultures are close, always have been as we are neighbours. You were economic migrants and the UK decided they wanted you there. Perhaps it was mutually beneficial or perhaps it was a mistake, who knows.

Doesn't mean there is an obligation on Ireland to open its doors to the third world, to an alien culture .

Again with the guilt trip.

Syria is a fairly secular society and more like ours than you'd think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Syria is a fairly secular society and more like ours than you'd think.

Have you been there? I have been (not for a number of years know though) and i wouldn't say their anything like us. (society wise anyways)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement