Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

25 Syrian families to be housed in Limerick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

zulutango wrote:
    Syria is a fairly secular society and more like ours than you'd think.

davo2001 wrote:
    Have you been there? I have been (not for a number of years know though) and i wouldn't say their anything like us. (society wise anyways)

And even if they were a secular nation, do we even know they are Syrian?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

And even if they were a secular nation, do we even know they are Syrian?

Yeah, the ones that are coming here are very thoroughly screened. Did you not read the other posts on the thread?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

mitresize5 wrote: »
    If any country in the world should be putting their hands up to accept refugees from a war torn country it should be Ireland.

We've sent millions of economic migrants to the far corner of the world, their only assets being the colour of their skin and the fact they can speak English. In fact if it wasn't for this the country would have been sunk altogether as recently as the last 5 years.

I hazard a guess and say their isn't a single person posting on this thread who doesn't know someone who has emigrated from Ireland for economic reasons and how some people suggest we turn our back on these people doesn't do my faith in humanity any good

Millions is a tad of an exaggeration. A major difference between the Irish and the Muslims is that we tend to integrate and adapt to the countries we emigrate to. We accept the laws of the land and play by them, mostly. The Muslims on the other hand don't integrate, which has been shown in every country that they've emigrated to. Sweden alone has 55 no go areas which have been identified by Police. The UK has also got no go Muslim controlled zones. Muslims don't recognise the laws of the land, they only accept Shari law, which is barbaric.

The Irish tend to have a live and let live attitude to life, which cannot be said for Muslims. While no sane person would assume that every male Muslim is a sex offender the reality is that there's a serious problem with male Muslims and their attitude to women, sex with children and rape. It's not PC to acknowledge that fact but it is a reality. We've already seen that there are violent migrants being housed in Limerick already, Doras Lumini already tried to cover that up then tried to have the journalist fired, but have recently retracted their allegations and calls for the journalist to lose his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

panda100 wrote: »
    It certainly matters to me. I grew up in London to Irish emigrant parents. I have three sisters and a brother so five of us in total (small family by Syrian standards apparently but large by UK standards). I went to state school over there and my parents were able to give themselves and then their family every opportunity in life that would have been impossible in 1960's Ireland.

These 25 syrian families are seeking exactly the same as my parents did for me. We are so lucky that we are living in a peaceful country and we should be welcoming our fellow humans whom are fleeing violent conflict and war.

Did your parents get handed a furnished house when they arrived? Did they claim social welfare?

Or did they actually work hard to pay their way and provide for themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

zulutango wrote: »
    Yeah, the ones that are coming here are very thoroughly screened. Did you not read the other posts on the thread?

"Very thoroughly screened" since they stepped foot on European soil and entered the system, its not a thorough screening at all.

• Advertisement

zulutango wrote:
    You mean by the obviously pro immigration poster who talks about UNHCR screening which doesnt happen for immigrants being transferred from other European countries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

Cordell wrote: »
    It would be the way of life that provides you with the absolute freedom of choice to a life a life full of greed and consumerism or to choose to oppose it.

I am a non-catholic immigrant, yet I raise my kids to respect and embrace the local traditions, I have no problem with them getting involved in any celebration or whatever that is Catholicism related, we are not asking for anything special, we do our best to integrate and contribute. If the refugees will be like us then I cannot see the problem. But in the same time there is a burka wearing family at our kids school. They don't speak with anyone unless absolutely necessary, they pulled their kids from the Easter Rising celebration, they protested having the pancake day. This kind will never integrate.

I agree 100%, albeit with some reservation as to how possible it is to not be adversely impacted by greed and consumerism.

If we moved abroad we would be expected to factor in at least some of the local culture and change accordingly, not expect locals to change for us.

What I was objecting to was the assumption that because someone is Muslim that they blindly and literally follow the extremist teachings; if people who are identified as a particular religion actually followed their supposed beliefs, we'd have no sex in Ireland bar when trying for kids.

So "Catholic" doesn't exactly mean the extremes of what the bible and church say, and neither, presumably, does "Muslim".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭DeadHand

panda100 wrote: »
    I think more cultures and nationalities will ultimately enrich life in Limerick.

Indeed!

The same way mass Muslim immigration has greatly enriched life in Molenbeek, Malmo, Colonge, Rotherham and Paris!

Oh, wait...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

crusha101 wrote: »
    The Australian PM put it very well in a speech on Muslim immigration. Sounds harsh at first but when you think about it its perfect. I really hope a genuine attempt is made to help the Syrian families integrate. Educating school children on the plight of their new Syrian classmates would be a great start so that these kids wont be referred to as terrorists.

IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT Take It Or Leave It. I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Bali , we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians.
    This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom.
    We speak mainly ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese,
    Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, learn the language!
    Most Australians believe in God. This is not some Christian, right wing, political push, but a fact, because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.
    We will accept your beliefs, and will not question why. All we ask is that you accept ours, and live in harmony and peaceful enjoyment with us.
    This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our Christian beliefs, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom, THE RIGHT TO LEAVE .
    Ah the Australians, what a great job they did of adopting to the local culture on their arrival :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

There are literally millions of ways of helping less fortunate people in other countries without inviting them all over to live with us.

That is what the people in the other countries are saying too. We have to do our fair share and help these people.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The main thing is to get new arrivals integrated as quickly as possible, get them speaking english, identify any trades/skills and get them working on something like jobsbridge if they are going to be getting state money. One problem I know of from people housed in centers here in Austria is they often have nothing to do during the day as they are not allowed to work, which just builds up frustration and disappointment. Integration is a two way street though, but we are lucky to have a great culture in Ireland, things like sports clubs and music are a good way to get outsiders involved in the local community

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Syria is a fairly secular society and more like ours than you'd think.

Secular society?

A good chunk of it is run by pedophile slave traders practicing Islam in its truest form. The secular, better portion is ruled over by a genocidal dictator.

The dominant religion is Sunni Islam with minority religions, most notably Christianity, being wiped out. The prevailing culture is Arabic- again with minority cultures being slowly wiped out.

It's a failed society that does not resemble ours in any shape or form.

jacksie66 wrote: »
    I emigrated to New Zealand 3 years ago. Granted it's fairly similar to Ireland but I've integrated and adapted to this culture. It's their country, not mine and I abide by their rules. I came here with nothing, only a few bob in my back pocket. I've worked my way from the bottom through hard work and determination. I didn't get any hand outs or help from the government.

Didn't know there was a devastating war in Ireland three years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

DakarVert wrote: »
    Did your parents get handed a furnished house when they arrived? Did they claim social welfare?

Or did they actually work hard to pay their way and provide for themselves?

**REMOVED**

The law says that refugees are not allowed to work. What do you want them to do.. Break the law and work to provide for themselves? Or wait until it is allowed and then work hard for the rest of their lives making up for it.

AryaStark wrote: »

The law says that refugees are not allowed to work. What do you want them to do.. Break the law and work to provide for themselves? Or wait until it is allowed and then work hard for the rest of their lives making up for it.

Refugees are allowed to work, asylum seekers are not (pending the outcome of their application).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

Ah the Australians, what a great job they did of adopting to the local culture on their arrival :rolleyes:

Exactly, prime example of the perils of mass immigration combined with non integration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

ShiddyArze wrote: »
    25 families, about 8 or 9 kids each, its enough.. A lot of Irish people move down the housing lists for them

The fertility rate in Syria is 2.96.
    Why do you think that these families have 8 or 9 kids each?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

DeadHand wrote: »
    A good chunk of it is run by pedophile slave traders practicing Islam in its truest form. The secular, better portion is ruled over by a genocidal dictator.
    That sounds bad.
    If I lived there I'd flee too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Cordell

Exactly, prime example of the perils of mass immigration combined with non integration.

Exactly. Maybe it does sound strange coming from an immigrant, but immigration has to be controlled. New arrivals have to be given time to integrate and assimilate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

Firstly I don't trust the UNHCR, they have a political agenda. Biased against Israel for a start. Also, they are only screening those coming from the Lebanon, not from European countries. Yes, we are getting immigrants from European countries "screened" by Frontex.
    What political agenda does UNHCR have and how are they biased against Israel? Are you mixing up UNHCR and UNHRC? It wouldn't surprise me given how you've demonstrated how ill-informed you have shown yourself to be (e.g. on family sizes and fertility rates).
    Islam is fundamentally opposed to our way of life and the people who follow this doctrine are instructed by their good book to infiltrate and ultimately take over. Reference any country with significant Muslim immigration and you will see evidence of the same.

Edit: Not to mention how they view your wives, sisters, daughters and mothers. As immodest and immoral people.

Way to tar 1.6 billion people spread throughout the globe. Do you think that the lunatic in your video represents all of these Muslims? Going by that logic, maybe Muslims should view all Christians as being represented by the Westboro Baptist Church or the Lord's Resistance Army.
    scream wrote: »
    Millions is a tad of an exaggeration. A major difference between the Irish and the Jews is that we tend to integrate and adapt to the countries we emigrate to. We accept the laws of the land and play by them, mostly. The Jews on the other hand don't integrate, which has been shown in every country that they've emigrated to. Jews don't recognise the laws of the land, they only accept the Torah, which is barbaric.

The Irish tend to have a live and let live attitude to life, which cannot be said for Jews. While no sane person would assume that every male Jew is a sex offender the reality is that there's a serious problem with male Jews and their attitude to women, sex with children and rape. It's not PC to acknowledge that fact but it is a reality.
    I've slightly edited the text of your post. Have a read and tell me how you think that this would be interpreted and received. Now tell me how such generalisations are any different to the nonsense that you posted.

DeadHand wrote: »
    The same way mass Muslim immigration has greatly enriched life in Molenbeek, Malmo, Colonge, Rotherham and Paris!

Oh, wait...
    We're talking about 25 refugee families, not millions of immigrants (there's quite a big difference between migrants and refugees, try not to conflate the two). Why do people prattling on about the Muslim hoards? Why can't people keep to the topic at hand without degenerating into hysteria?

I wonder how many of those posting mass generalisations and hysteria about Muslims have actually had any real engagement or relationship with Muslims or spent any amount of time in a predominantly Muslim country. I can only assume very few or none given how much ignorance is being written here.

The Saint wrote:
    Way to tar 1.6 billion people spread throughout the globe. Do you think that the lunatic in your video represents all of these Muslims? Going by that logic, maybe Muslims should view all Christians as being represented by the Westboro Baptist Church or the Lord's Resistance Army.
    Which of the 100s of lunatics in that video are you referring to?

The Saint wrote:
    What political agenda does UNHCR have and how are they biased against Israel? Are you mixing up UNHCR and UNHRC? It wouldn't surprise me given how you've demonstrated how ill-informed you have shown yourself to be (e.g. on family sizes and fertility rates).

What the hell is UNHRC? Anyway no I am confusing nothing. Google Israel and UNHCR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

The Saint wrote: »

I've slightly edited the text of your post. Have a read and tell me how you think that this would be interpreted and received. Now tell me how such generalisations are any different to the nonsense that you posted.

We're talking about 25 refugee families, not millions of immigrants (there's quite a big difference between migrants and refugees, try not to conflate the two). Why do people prattling on about the Muslim hoards? Why can't people keep to the topic at hand without degenerating into hysteria?

I wonder how many of those posting mass generalisations and hysteria about Muslims have actually had any real engagement or relationship with Muslims or spent any amount of time in a predominantly Muslim country. I can only assume very few or none given how much ignorance is being written here.

As bad as the Westboros are, they dont stone or decapitate people and they are shunned and not celebrated.

I'm all for improving the Irish gene pool with some Syrian DNA anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

The Saint wrote: »

I've slightly edited the text of your post.
    Have a read and tell me how you think that this would be interpreted and received. Now tell me how such generalisations are any different to the nonsense that you posted.

What an obnoxious thing to do. We're talking about 25 families for now. There are plans to bring in 40,000, that's without the reunification which can include an adults parents and siblings, basically anyone they claim is dependent on them back home. You may or may not be aware that with the asylum seekers/migrants coming in now it is up to each individual County Council as to whether or not to accept any and there is NO ADDITIONAL FUNDING FOR THEM.

The housing and funding for these people comes out of the existing funds for the County Council so without doubt they are being put ahead of Irish people. As it stands they are brought to an Orientation centre for 3 months then housed in the community, that is blatantly skipping the queue.
    In my part of the world the council bought 9 houses last year, and I'm sure it's mere coincidence that we're getting 9 migrant families. I saw some of them today.

There's no way in hell he's Syrian, he's the blackest man I've ever seen. As for her, well the person was dressed like a woman but given that the only visible part of her where her eyes I have to assume that she was female. That kind of coverage is not part of the Muslim religion and has been banned in Egypt as well as some other Muslim countries and should not be encouraged here.

zulutango wrote:

Okay so you don't have the best interests of the Irish people at heart. You've knocked yourself out of the argument completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Homo Sapiens arrived in Europe via the Middle East. In a way, we're all Syrian.

First farmers came from the area also. Glad someone came up with the idea, wouldn't fancy hunting/gathering for food!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

:rolleyes: Really, is that the best you can do?

• Advertisement

Well if we are not now we soon will be if the masochists in this thread have their way.

Explain how feminism and wanting to be Syrian are compatible?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement