Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

25 Syrian families to be housed in Limerick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Homo Sapiens arrived in Europe via the Middle East. In a way, we're all Syrian.

Well if we are not now we soon will be if the masochists in this thread have their way.

Explain how feminism and wanting to be Syrian are compatible?

Explain how I'm from Limerick and have never stabbed someone. Stereotypes are usually true?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

If they're not and up to no good, that's some plan they have! "Let's 20 of us cram into this 10 person dingy. The guy on the beach assured me that these life jackets are legit and not just nylon stuffed with straw. When we get to Europe, we'll spend a few months, couple years tops living in make shift accommodation, if the refugee claim fails I know a fella that can get us into a lorry in Calais."

Terrorist organisations have the resources to get people in by more direct routes. They're not sneaking them in between Syrian families.

I've no view on the incoming people to your town, I just want to point out that Isis don't need to go all the way via dinghy, across land on foot etc, they can join the refugees closer to, for example, calais, claiming to be 'without papers', just like the actual refugees. There's little screening along the way, for refugees genuine and otherwise, so you don't actually know where their journey began and what route and method of transport they took.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Explain how feminism and wanting to be Syrian are compatible?

My Syrian friend is an ardent feminist.

I just want to point etc, they can join the refugees closer to, for example, calais, claiming to be 'without papers', just like the actual refugees. There's little screening along the way, for refugees genuine and otherwise, so you don't actually know where their journey began and what route and method of transport they took.

My point was that they have the money and resources to knock together a few fake passports and buy regular plane/ferry tickets. Why would they draw attention to their arrival by slotting themselves in between refugees?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

What the hell is UNHRC? Anyway no I am confusing nothing. Google Israel and UNHCR.
    You are the one who made the assertion, not me. It is therefore incumbent on you to do provide the evidence, not me.
    Potatoeman wrote: »
    As bad as the Westboros are, they dont stone or decapitate people and they are shunned and not celebrated.
    The point that I was making (and was clearly overlooked) is that fringe extremist elements on both the Christian and Muslim sides do not represent followers of these faiths worldwide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

My point was that they have the money and resources to knock together a few fake passports and buy regular plane/ferry tickets. Why would they draw attention to their arrival by slotting themselves in between refugees?

Far less attention on a paperless refugee, amongst many paperless refugees. Much safer than exposing yourself to scrutiny standing in front of an official as they scrutinise your fake passport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

The Saint wrote: »
    You are the one who made the assertion, not me. It is therefore incumbent on you to do provide the evidence, not me.

The point that I was making (and was clearly overlooked) is that fringe extremist elements on both the Christian and Muslim sides do not represent followers of these faiths worldwide.

It's not that fringe. Even look at the statistics of young Muslims in most Western countries and you see disturbing results in opinion polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭DeadHand

As bad as the Westboros are, they dont stone or decapitate people and they are shunned and not celebrated.

Very true, Muslims from Pakistan to London literally took to the streets in their hundreds to celebrate the Paris and Brussels attacks.

Now, they're still in a firm minority but to suggest the extremist minority within Christianity is in any way as potent and popular as that in Islam is stupid at best and dishonest at worst.

Extreme Christians say mean things about people. Extreme Islamists are murdering people regularly on a global scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

Okay so you don't have the best interests of the Irish people at heart. You've knocked yourself out of the argument completely.

Who defines the "best interests" ? Can we all got a copy of your list ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Ohbethehokey

First farmers came from the area also. Glad someone came up with the idea, wouldn't fancy hunting/gathering for food!
    right so we can claim our ancestral homes in Syria when the war ends, great I need a summer house

• Advertisement

DeadHand wrote: »
    Extreme Christians say mean things about people. Extreme Islamists are murdering people regularly on a global scale.

That's what happened in Srebrenica. People shouted mean things till 7,000+ people keeled over. Only 21 years ago.

First farmers came from the area also. Glad someone came up with the idea, wouldn't fancy hunting/gathering for food!
    right so we can claim our ancestral homes in Syria when the war ends, great I need a summer house

Don't forget the day trip to Palmyra.

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/23

"An oasis in the Syrian desert, north-east of Damascus, Palmyra contains the monumental ruins of a great city that was one of the most important cultural centres of the ancient world. From the 1st to the 2nd century, the art and architecture of Palmyra, standing at the crossroads of several civilizations, married Graeco-Roman techniques with local traditions and Persian influences."

That's what happened in Srebrenica. People shouted mean things till 7,000+ people keeled over. Only 21 years ago.

More a nationalistic and ethnic conflict than a religious one.

Suppose you'll offer the Crusades next- I've seen that one dug out on here a few times before.

In any case, within that 21 years- how many non-Muslims or the "wrong" sort of Muslim (by far the bigger victim group) massacred in the name of Islam? How many non-Christians massacred by Christians in the name of Christianity?

Even leaving all that aside, the crux of the matter is Christian extremism is largely neutered and finished. Islamic extremism is growing and expanding worldwide.

Again, the claim that there is any comparison between the two extremisms in terms of significance and lethality in the modern world is utter nonsense.

More a nationalistic and ethnic conflict than a religious one.

Suppose you'll offer the Crusades next- I've seen that one dug out on here a few times before.

In any case, within that 21 years- how many non-Muslims or the "wrong" sort of Muslim (by far the bigger victim group) massacred in the name of Islam? How many non-Christians massacred by Christians in the name of Christianity?

Even leaving all that aside, the crux of the matter is Christian extremism is largely neutered and finished. Islamic extremism is growing and expanding worldwide.

Again, the claim that there is any comparison between the two extremisms in terms of significance and lethality in the modern world is utter nonsense.

I agree that Muslim extremism does seem to be on the increase. But you know the US has bases all over the world.. Europe, Asia, Australia. Far futher reach and they have nuclear weapons. The odd drone too I hear. One could argue the US has a far greater influence and is a far greater threat.

I'm not siding with either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

Thats complete bollocks btw, 7k people were not killed at Srebrenica, its a myth. The only massacres in Srebrenica were those committed by Bosnians in 92/93.

Thats complete bollocks btw, 7k people were not killed at Srebrenica, its a myth. The only massacres in Srebrenica were those committed by Bosnians in 92/93.

Really? Maybe we should club together so Radovan can get a good appeal lawyer?

zulutango wrote: »
    I'm all for improving the Irish gene pool with some Syrian DNA anyway.

Yes, because the Syrians have managed to build such a stable, peaceful and prosperous country.

Needing genetic 'Improving' suggests something is fundamentally wrong with or inferior about the Irish nation.

I happen to be proud of my heritage, my background, my lineage and my nation. I don't feel a need for my people to be 'improved' by mixing with some apparent master race.

Can you imagine the chaos that would, rightfully, ensue if someone suggested that the Arab gene pool should be 'improved' by European DNA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I happen to be proud of my heritage, my background, my lineage and my nation. I don't feel a need for my people to be 'improved' by mixing with some apparent master race.
    You are in dire need of cultural enrichment me boy ;-)
    Can you imagine the chaos that would, rightfully, ensue if someone suggested that the Arab gene pool should be 'improved' by European DNA?

Ah now you're not meant to turn these things around to make the "pro whatever" people sound anti Irish. Next you'll be defending pancake Tuesday and easter eggs sold in plain sight.

Don't forget the day trip to Palmyra.

"An oasis in the Syrian desert, north-east of Damascus, Palmyra contains the monumental ruins of a great city that was one of the most important cultural centres of the ancient world. From the 1st to the 2nd century, the art and architecture of Palmyra, standing at the crossroads of several civilizations, married Graeco-Roman techniques with local traditions and Persian influences."
    Sure me grandfather built that with his bare hands

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Very true, Muslims from Pakistan to London literally took to the streets in their hundreds to celebrate the Paris and Brussels attacks.

e.

In the blanket coverage of those atrocities on TV, internet , social media etc.... I didn't see one story of Muslims 'literally' taking to the streets in their hundreds to celebrate.

I'm calling BS on that

The amount of hyperbole on this thread has gone from annoying to dispiriting to hilarious.

So in keeping with that theme ..... I'm out of this one but remember folks to lock up your wife's and kids, Armageddon is arriving to the mean streets of Limerick via 25 families from 'off foreign' ..... Be safe out there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

I can't link, new user, it but this report carried out in sweden is eyeopening

The report, entitled The Current Situation of Sexual Molestation and Proposals for Action, says: 'Control is exercised over women through violence, thus shaping her according to the man’s idealised vision of femininity.

The report said: 'Sweden tops the new EU Statistics on physical and sexual violence against women, sexual harassment and stalking.

'The conclusion is that the results are a consequence of Nordic alcohol culture, but also of non-traditional gender roles.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Who defines the "best interests" ? Can we all got a copy of your list ?
    Your idea of best interests is for the Irish people to be ethnically cleansed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I feel very conflicted by my views on these matters lately. I consider myself a liberal leftie but my viers have been challenged lately.

I live near the peoples park and see gangs of young immigrant men ( of asian descent) roaming the park/streets around there all day long. I cant say i feel comfortable around them.

I dont like being made feel like that in my own city. I now avoid walking up Cecil street for this reason also - men hanging around on the street outside the hostel.

Im not sure integration happens with these groups - they dont seem to want it. There are many parts of their cultures that i dont want in my country. I then see the Eastern Europeans who came here, worked hard and established themselves and the groups above seem to be the opposite.

zulutango wrote: »
    My Syrian friend is an ardent feminist.
    She sounds great. Doubt it is the norm and doubt she was able to freely express herself there.
    What evidence are you looking for? That they are anti-Israel? They are quite outspoken in their condemnation of Israel for deporting illegal immigrants. There is a big problem in Tel Aviv right now.
    There is no comparison between Muslim and Christian extremism. Don't make me laugh.
    It's not that fringe. Even look at the statistics of young Muslims in most Western countries and you see disturbing results in opinion polls.
    Yes.
    I agree that Muslim extremism does seem to be on the increase. But you know the US has bases all over the world.. Europe, Asia, Australia. Far futher reach and they have nuclear weapons. The odd drone too I hear. One could argue the US has a far greater influence and is a far greater threat.

I'm not siding with either.

Holy crap. You are actually comparing our allies the US,a democratic and free country with an evil terrorist organization that tortures and rapes and kills. Are you drunk?
    mitresize5 wrote: »
    In the blanket coverage of those atrocities on TV, internet , social media etc.... I didn't see one story of Muslims 'literally' taking to the streets in their hundreds to celebrate.

I'm calling BS on that
    Yeah, continue looking at the world through the filter which is the BBC and guardian. It's a joke in the UK right now.
    mitresize5 wrote: »
    The amount of hyperbole on this thread has gone from annoying to dispiriting to hilarious.

So in keeping with that theme ..... I'm out of this one but remember folks to lock up your wife's and kids, Armageddon is arriving to the mean streets of Limerick via 25 families from 'off foreign' ..... Be safe out there
    There are actually thousands due to come followed by their extended family.

Parchment wrote: »
    I dont like being made feel like that in my own city. I now avoid walking up Cecil street for this reason also - men hanging around on the street outside the hostel.
    Yeah, seen them too and they also makes me feel uncomfortable.

Also an alarming increase in the number of women wearing the burka/niqab around the city which I see as evidence of an increasingly extreme element arriving.

Yeah, seen them too and they also makes me feel uncomfortable.

Also an alarming increase in the number of women wearing the burka/niqab around the city which I see as evidence of an increasingly extreme element arriving.

That and the horror stories emerging out of the refugee centre: Islamist extremism; physical and mental violence against the staff.

http://www.limerickpost.ie/2016/04/01/limerick-asylum-centre-worker-claims-extremists-infiltrated-system-limerick/

Predictably, our moral superiors moved quickly to suppress the story and silence the journalist involved for the modern crime of telling the truth.

Holy crap. You are actually comparing our allies the US,a democratic and free country with an evil terrorist organization that tortures and rapes and kills. Are you drunk?

You're right. Now that I think about it, I did hear those pillow fights in Abu Ghraib were great craic.

'The conclusion is that the results are a consequence of Nordic alcohol culture, but also of non-traditional gender roles.'

"Nordic alcohol culture" was still present in Sweden in prior to mass third world immigration when it was among the safest societies in the world in which to be a woman.

Hundreds of thousands of the products of violently misogynistic cultures and a violently misogynistic religion were not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

You're right. Now that I think about it, I did hear those pillow fights in Abu Ghraib were great craic.

I heard that holiday camp they've got down in Cuba is meant to be a right barrel of laughs altogether.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement