Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cut-down 2 or 3 iron

• 24-05-2016 11:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone here uses a driving iron or 2 / 3 irons? I find I am more accurate with my 4 iron than my rescue for 2nd shots on par 5s and long par 3s into the wind and was thinking about getting a cut-down (1 inch) 2 or 3 iron - basically to get the accuracy of an iron with the length of a rescue.

Looking at one of these

http://www.halpennygolf.com/en/ie/TaylorMade-RSi-TP-UDI-Driving-Iron---Custom-Fit/k-3792.aspx

Loire.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I wouldn't be without my 3 iron. It's a go to club for me and when I was getting a new set last year, it was a must have.

don't know why you want to be cutting it down though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I have a TaylorMade MC 2 iron that I use quite a bit as I don't like rescues. Great off the tee on tight par 4s or long par 3s or in any kind of wind. If we ever get a summer it gives good roll out also on fairways so not much difference in distance between itself and the old 3 wood I have in the bag.
    When I bought my irons over 4 years ago now long irons were hard to come but they're making a bit of a comeback lately. Also don't know why you'd want to cut it down, might is standard length.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Have had and tried a few.
    Just bought the MD golf one this week with the stiff graphite shaft and so far think it is just as good as the more expensive models.
    Just had it on the range so far.
    This is it have to say postage and delivery time were excellent
    http://m.ebay.ie/itm/MD-GOLF-MENS-SUPERSTRONG-STR-DRIVING-IRON-HYBRID-NEW-UTILITY-CLUB-TOUR-2016-/161750857828?nav=SEARCH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Bought a Ping Crossover recently (the 3 'iron' version) and love it!

gcrossover3_300x300.jpg?v2

Great feel when swinging it and gives a lovely mid-trajectory penetrating flight.

Bubba likes it too :D

crossover_bubba.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

thanks guys. Might just go with the standard length alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

So had the MD golf 2 iron out on the course.
    I have project x 6.0 in my irons and hit the 5 iron around the 185/90 mark. Muzino mx 300s.
    Comfortable getting 210 out of the 2 iron with a lower ball flight which is what I was hoping for compared to the hybrid it was replacing.
    For what ever reason I hit my hybrids super from the rough and fairway but really struggled from the tee with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

I have the Srixon Z U45 4 iron equivalent and its a fantastic to hit from tee or any reasonable lie. I find it far more accurate off the tee than my hybrid for some reason

I am definitely going to look at the 3 iron equivalent for off the tee. The 4iron gets me out to around 215 to 220 (off the tee only) so hoping for around 230 for the 3 iron which would be perfect for short to mid length par4s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Webbs wrote: »
    I have the Srixon Z U45 4 iron equivalent and its a fantastic to hit from tee or any reasonable lie. I find it far more accurate off the tee than my hybrid for some reason

I am definitely going to look at the 3 iron equivalent for off the tee. The 4iron gets me out to around 215 to 220 (off the tee only) so hoping for around 230 for the 3 iron which would be perfect for short to mid length par4s.

Mind if I ask where you got it and how much ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Mind if I ask where you got it and how much ?

Hi axl,

I got it through golfstyle in Galway.
    As to how much sounds a bit mad but I cant say exactly as I bought it as part of a split set and they did a deal on it as they didnt have the original 4 iron I wanted.

Advertisement