Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physio for neck issue??

• 24-05-2016 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

I'm 42 and not back on the bike too long but I'm suffering a fair bit of neck pain. I found a few vids on stretching before getting on the bike has helped but it has only put off when the pain kicks in by a few kilometers. I've adjusted the bike and my riding position as much as possible but again, it only delays the inevitable.

So, has anyone else had similar issues and has a visit to the physio helped? Just wondering. I'd be looking for one in the Malahide/Portmarnock area so a recommendation would be doubly helpful!!

*no medical advice please because admins will close thread*

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I found the Physio Company have some decent physio's in the area. They have bases in Malahide (Grand Hotel) and Swords (Swiftcare). Not used them in about 18 months though so not sure if their physios have changed

They recommended me to Collins Avenue Physio for some physio-led pilates, but I've also had quite a lot of work done on the neck and shoulder by Sarah Brady, who certainly knows her stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Pat Halpin Sports Massage and Physio in Skerries. Long time cyclist and a really good physio.
    Highly regarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

Thanks guys - much appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭diarmaidol

Have actually gotten a bike fit from someone who knows what they are up to? I'd spend a few quid on that before going to physio. Just to be sure. Or go all out and get both but unless your sitting correctly on your bike then no amount of physio is going to sort you out. You will be banging your head of the wall, or in this case you neck of the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

diarmaidol wrote: »
    Have actually gotten a bike fit from someone who knows what they are up to? I'd spend a few quid on that before going to physio. Just to be sure. Or go all out and get both but unless your sitting correctly on your bike then no amount of physio is going to sort you out. You will be banging your head of the wall, or in this case you neck of the road.
    This. I made adjustments to stem length when I started and it solved it. But a bike fit will help considerably as will core strengthening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭hesker

Luxman wrote: »
    This. I made adjustments to stem length when I started and it solved it. But a bike fit will help considerably as will core strengthening

I started back on the bike a few years ago and had some slight neck pain initially. But it went away after I got a bit of mileage up. It was never too painful mind, and was only at me when on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

diarmaidol wrote: »

I went to the physio this morning and she was really good. There is definitely a problem with the back of my neck & down the rear of my right shoulder and she spent some time loosening this up. Although it didn't relieve the pain from commuting yesterday, it definitely felt freer and I could twist a lot better without restriction. I have dome exercises to do daily and will have another visit next week.

So, in my situation I don;t think it's the position on the bike - not until I get the neck sorted anyway!!

Advertisement