Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cell Tower Masts and google location history.

Options
  • 24-05-2016 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi guys I'm wondering if any of you may be able to give me a professional answer to my question.

I would like to know what are the chances that Google Location history could be 3km out?

I understand google uses GPS/Cell and Wifi to track locations. Could it be possible that a Cell Mast tracked location be so far out of range to actual location.

To help with question. The said location should be Stephens Green but it is showing Harrolds Cross?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

kevkelly90 wrote:
    I would like to know what are the chances that Google Location history could be 3km out?

For a number of reasons it can be out if it is based on cell location only. But if you're also using Wi-Fi in the location settings then around st stephens green it should be more accurate.

You should check the location settings mode also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 kevkelly90

You should check the location settings mode also.

Will that tell me which mode (GPS/Mobile Mast) was use to capture the location?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,651 ✭✭✭✭28064212

kevkelly90 wrote: »
    No. And even if it did, both of them (and WiFi location) can be out by significant distances, either through software or hardware estimations and errors. Google location history is not reliable enough to be able to say where someone was with any kind of certainty

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭kirving

It can also be due to where your Internet connection thinks it is. I work for a French company and occasionally I get sent to Google.fr with my location showing as France since some of our Internet traffic is routed through there. It is helpful, but by no means a reliable way of determining someone's location

28064212 wrote: »
    No. And even if it did, both of them (and WiFi location) can be out by significant distances, either through software or hardware estimations and errors. Google location history is not reliable enough to be able to say where someone was with any kind of certainty

Ok thanks for the info.

• Advertisement

It can also be due to where your Internet connection thinks it is. I work for a French company and occasionally I get sent to Google.fr with my location showing as France since some of our Internet traffic is routed through there. It is helpful, but by no means a reliable way of determining someone's location

Over wifi im guessing? Cheers for the response.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If it was that far out chances are GPS was off, GPS will trump other sources which generally are guessing.

If you're asking for a legal/disciplinary use it really cannot be counted on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

kevkelly90 wrote:

The settings mode is about the accuracy. I.e, whether or not GPS is even used.

Advertisement