Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling Existing Phoneline in New House

Options
  • 24-05-2016 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭

I have just bought a house and have been informed that the current active phone line must be cancelled before i can set up my own account (broadband only).

The previous owner had rented out the property and has no idea who set up the account initially, therefore the account is not in his name.

Is there a way I can get this account cancelled since I am now the current owner?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭eir: Stacey

Hi there, Thanks for getting in touch. I would recommend contacting the cancellations team on 1800303600 (Opt 1) & they will provide you with the address to send in a tenancy agreement & arrange for the old account to be ceased so you can place an order. Stacey

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Hi there, Thanks for getting in touch. I would recommend contacting the cancellations team on 1800303600 (Opt 1) & they will provide you with the address to send in a tenancy agreement & arrange for the old account to be ceased so you can place an order. Stacey

Hi, thanks for the reply. Just another couple of points:

The house was vacant for about a year prior to the sale. The tenants previous to that did not open this phone account either. The previous owner is unsure who opened the account prior to that.

I would have thought that since the property was not being rented prior to sale and I am now the sole occupier and owner, all I would need is a proof of address which would confirm my residency?

If a tenancy agreement is still required, is that between the previous owner and previous tenants (neither have knowledge of this phone account) or is it between the owner and the tenants who opened this phone account (unknown)?

Many thanks for your help! I rang the help center previously but it's hard to get these points across clearly over the phone. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭eir: Stacey

Usually proof of address or a tenancy agreement is required to confirm any previous tenants or accounts are no longer active at the address in order for the accounts to be cancelled. You would need to contact the cancellations team directly & they can confirm what necessary documents are needed. - Stacey

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Thanks Stacey, that's sorted now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Thanks Stacey, that's sorted now.
    That's great to hear  Pac1Manthanks for letting us know. :)

-Pamela 

• Advertisement
Advertisement