Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shirts & ties for fathers of the bride and groom?

• 24-05-2016 1:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We're at the stage of picking up clothes for the groomsmen (3 including best man) and fathers of the bride and groom.

I'm wondering what the convention is with shirts and ties for the fathers of bride and groom. We will be buying them for the groomsmen but is it also the norm to buy for the fathers as well? We are sorting the suits for them.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

John_Mc wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm wondering what the convention is with shirts and ties for the fathers of bride and groom. We will be buying them for the groomsmen but is it also the norm to buy for the fathers as well? We are sorting the suits for them.

I don't know what the convention is but we bought shirts, ties and shoes for everyone in the wedding party.

If you're happy for them to look slightly different, having them buy their own may be an option. If you want them to match some detail exactly, personally I'd buy it for them. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable telling someone exactly what they have to get for my wedding, then asking them to pay for it themselves. However if the conversation is "I'll let you sort your own shirt and tie so you can get something you're comfortable in", and give them some rough guidelines, it may be easier.

The best piece of advice I'd give from experience is to ignore convention, do what you feel comfortable doing, and don't feel the need to do something because "everyone does it". Weddings in Ireland have grown out of control, and no matter what item / cost / tradition you can think of, someone in your wedding party will say "most people do that". They don't, and you don't have to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

If you are renting the suits, do they not also have an option to rent the shirts? think that would get around the issues.
    We did the same thing for the whole bridal party, including father of the bride and groom. As above, if you want something in particular it's unfair to ask someone to pay for it, otherwise, just ask them to wear a white shirt they own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I just got matching ties, same as groomsmen for the fathers.
    They all owned white shirts.
    I let them wear their own suits as I knew they'd be happier and sure it kept cost down too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Thanks for the replies!

We offered to rent suits, but also offered to make a contribution of a bit over half the cost of a designer suit that we've managed to get a 20% discount on. They've both decided to go with buying as it's a lovely suit that they will wear again.

I think we'll just go with ties as they will have shirts themselves.

Advertisement