Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding in Trinity Chapel

Options
  • 24-05-2016 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi :)
    I'm new to boards so excuse me if I'm doing it all wrong!
    My fiance and I are thinking of getting married in Trinity Chapel next year. Just looking for some advice re reception venues. Did anyone have their wedding in Trinity and where did you have your reception? Did you organise transport from Trinity? Just wondering if it will be really awkward for people to get to/from and where guests could park.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Hi and welcome.

Now I don't have any specific advice re Trinity, but I'd imagine anyone having a city center wedding would face the same challenges. If you even view them as challenges that is!

Firstly parking/driving for guests. I'm going to a wedding on Stephens Green soon so we're going to park in RCSI and walk to the church. The Setanta carpark would service Trinity equally well I think. We're driving because the reception is to be a venue in Meath, so once we get there we'll be free of the car.

However, you might go for a city center wedding veune, and if so, your guests may just get taxis themselves into town or take the dart/luas depending on where they're coming from, as a full days parking would likely cost more and they would probably want a drink or several ;). If all your guests would be coming from the same location you could look into hiring a minibus, or they may club together themselves to share large taxis. I really wouldn't worry about this.

There are loads of options for city center reception venues. For example, the Shelboure, the Merion, the Cliff Townhouse, Fallon & Byrne, The Hibernian Club..... Any of the wedding websites have a "venue finder" tool which might through up some more options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Hey OP - my cousin got married in Trinity & had her reception down in Kildare. The parking situation around Trinity was not great so we all car-pooled to get there & they left a long enough time between ceremony & the reception that we had time to go home, pick up our bits & then head off. I think Trinity gave the whole party for the wedding including guests about 8 or 9 spaces but that was it. The rest parked in nearby car parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Parking around Trinity is a nightmare. Security will likely let the wedding cars in, but probably wouldn't let them stay.

Guests... Parking will have to be in a multistory. The closest to the chapel is the Fleet Street carpark - maybe contact them about a day rate. However that is currently an absolute nightmare to get to because of the Luas roadworks and road closures. Whether they'll be finished next year? Who knows. Alternatively there is Trinity Street or Drury Street. Or when I need to drive to work I park in the Parkrite City Quay carpark (can prebook for e8 for the day). I work in Trinity and can't even park here :pac:

Somebody I know is getting married in the Trinity chapel in July. She's having her reception off campus.

You could look at hiring the dining hall (not the Buttery, the actual dining hall). I'm not sure if they cater for weddings but they certainly cater for private functions. There are several rooms that could accomadate different wedding sizes. I've been to a few events / meals in the dining hall (commons) and the food has been quite delicious. They also can serve wine, and at commons you get a glass of Guinness, which is random but a bonus. They do hire it out for private functions, and it can look very Harry Potter-esque.

Between wedding and dinner could be tricky, but there are any number of city centre bars that could accomadate. The Trinity City hotel is right at the side entrance to Trinity (junction of Pearse Street and College Green) and that's meant to be pretty cool. Alternatively it's not too far to walk down to Grand Canal Dock, which has really nice places.

Trinity would be a beautiful venue for photos too. I got great ones at my graduation under the Campanile - I wouldn't walk under it before then ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭AndersLimpar

I've photographed a few weddings there and it's fab. The lighting in the chapel is perfect and there are loads of places on the grounds for great pics. I'm pretty sure the couple only get 5 car park passes for the day. The car entrance is down by the dental hospital, they gave me one and you can park pretty close to the chapel. I presume the other 4 were used for the bridal car, bridesmaids and maybe one for each family? Everyone else parked in the car parks around the area. Molesworth Street and fleet street are the two handiest I think.

If you have the chance to get married there then I would definitely take it as the setting is really really nice. I actually got married in town myself and walked to our reception afterwards in the Cliff House so it was really nice to be able to do that, we were lucky with the weather too! The couple's whose weddings I did had their receptions in Kildare so it took a bit of time to get there (45 mins max) but they also had some time together on their own on the drive down so that's something to think about too. Best of luck to you both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mullinai

Thank you for all your comments. Trinity would be really special for us because we met at Trinity Ball and got engaged under the campanile! I think my worries are just around it being too awkward or annoying for guests but it would really be great to get married there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭oconnoao

We were at a wedding recently in the chapel at Trinity. It was lovely and I don't think anyone found it awkward. The sun was shining when we came out and they got some photos on the steps. They had a bus organized to take us from Trinity to the reception (in Kildare), although plenty of people seemed to drive too. They had the bus arranged to bring people home after too and it dropped people all over the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

mullinai wrote: »
    Thank you for all your comments. Trinity would be really special for us because we met at Trinity Ball and got engaged under the campanile! I think my worries are just around it being too awkward or annoying for guests but it would really be great to get married there!
    Lookit, I am all about being a good host but if it means something to you then suit yourselves for the ceremony venue. I went to Trinity as did my husband and we would have loved to get married there but we didn't want a religious ceremony. It is a beautiful church and there are loads of options for reception venues in the city or not far from it. There was plenty of parking provided (the security men have some cop on when they know a wedding is booked in) and buses can be laid on too. I would for for it if you really want it. Most of our friends would be based in or near Dublin and we have gotten the Dart in and a taxi home for weddings held in Trinity and city centre venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

We looked into the chapel at trinity years and years ago. It seemed very awkward. Maybe this has changed but from what I remember:

-you can only get married there within a certain time frame from when you finished your course
    -you can only get married there during certain months
    -you need to get your own priest etc
    -it was something like €500 or €600 to use it!

Advertisement