Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band for Wedding ?

• 24-05-2016 2:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭

asking for a friend

any recommendations for a group to play at a wedding reception , couple are in the 30's and most of the guests would be older generation

no names, but heard a band recently (that was recommended) that played a great selection, but thought overall they were poor musicians with poor vocalist, also they had the volume way too high

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Escapade Live Played at our wedding and a Friends wedding.

http://escapade.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Free Beer are excellent and have been on the road a long time at this stage.

http://freebeer.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gl0Rob

Johnny B and The Boogie Men. Had them for my own. Very entertaining. Kept the floor filled all night.

http://www.johnnyb.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Thanks for recommendations, I will pass it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Derbhoy

Wedding Bands are essentially just Pub Bands charging exorbitant prices to Couples flashing limited Cash hoping to have a Big Wedding Day .The sooner Couples cop on and just have a good DJ the better for all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Berty wrote: »
    Escapade Live Played at our wedding and a Friends wedding.

http://escapade.ie/

Saw them at a friends wedding and they were awful. Murdered a few songs too.

Had a band called "The Suite" and they were fantastic and great value too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Derbhoy wrote: »
    Wedding Bands are essentially just Pub Bands charging exorbitant prices to Couples flashing limited Cash hoping to have a Big Wedding Day .The sooner Couples cop on and just have a good DJ the better for all.

Yeah because a 5 piece band and a DJ can be comparable. People want live entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭gotasmoke

Drive

I've seen them at a few weddings and in pubs in town. Always good and can do a varied set to appeal to most age groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

We had Traffic at our wedding
    http://www.trafficweddingband.com/

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bannerman2005

I would recommend Free Beer. Had them at our wedding last year and they were fantastic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 intune

Do you have any idea how hard it is to make a living as a musician?

I would partially agree with you regarding bad amateur bands (which there are plenty out there) that are just out to make some extra cash playing lots of wrong notes & chords having no clue what they are doing and unfortunately overcharging clueless customers.

However there is nothing wrong to pay a properly trained musician that spent 15-20 years+ of his life on learning how to master his instrument/voice entertaining the crowd all night doing his job.

Not sure how you can compare a DJ with a Band. If anything, it should be the other way round. A DJ can never replace a good band.

If you are still looking for suggestions check out some of those:

Very lively wedding band called Groove Collective. They will blow your mind. Worked with them on sound some time ago and couldn't believe how they engage with the crowd getting everyone going. They also played as a headline act in the Cork Jazz Festival so there is no worries on quality there. Very professional. I don't think they are too expensive either.

Here is a video of them playing live !

I want to see any other wedding band having an actual not produced - but LIVE video like that. That already tells you everything!

Another really excellent wedding band from Cork are The Sapphires. Fronted by 3 excellent female singers they deliver an unreal show!

Or if you are looking for something smaller with a cool Rock & Pop set try Radio City. They are a wedding band based in Munster. as well.

From working with them in the past I know that they all have a very professional attitude and will deliver a great show. Something an amateur band often will completely fail to do.

There are plenty more of really good bands out there but beware of amateur bands that don't know what they are doing. Quality is most important. You wouldn't get a bad or 2nd hand wedding dress or cake either, or someone that hasn't an idea how to make those, would you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

well i know a band "one september" are doing a last minute gig tonight in durty nelllies, seen it on fb

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Dracula!

I would highly recommend Little Creatures.

http://www.littlecreatures.net/Welcome.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭bayles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

thebrianmcdermottband.ie/

There are a few bits on youtube for sample. Professional wedding band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Duff Man Jr.

Why not go one step further and cut the DJ, just have an ipod on shuffle. Fk it, with the exorbitant price apple charge just hook live95fm up to the speakers. Couples need to cop on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 seansullivan

/The-Strangers-Party-and-Wedding-Band-

Best and cheapest wedding band around

Are you available April 1st 2017 Sean?

;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

How do you know you're the best? :confused:

• Advertisement

Yes. More often than not, the couple will have seen them at a pub gig, but a pub band playing a wedding should not just replicate what they do in a pub, unless told by the bride and groom! Usually, you would play a longer set. You'd tailor it for different tastes and age groups. Put in some waltzes or jives for the older crowd, instead of just playing a pub gig at a wedding.

h3000 wrote: »
    We had Traffic at our wedding
    http://www.trafficweddingband.com/

Probably an afterthought for them, but they'd want to have another go at their website. Terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

seachto7 wrote: »

If your main criteria for picking a wedding band is the cheapest, you don't always get the best....

seachto7 wrote: »

Because he is them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,059 ✭✭✭893bet

We had them for a party and they were terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Was at a wedding last Saturday and saw The Great Escape....great selection of tunes and the crowd were on the floor all night....good rapport with the crowd too and they played several requests that were just shouted up on the night. I was very impressed. Only problem is that my feet are still sore....haven't boogied as much in years.... :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

We had the LOLs last month for our wedding. They had the floor full all night and have a great singer. All our guests were asking about them. I think it's nice to have someone from outside of town because they were new to all the guests.

893bet wrote: »
    We had them for a party and they were terrible.

where was the party ??
    when ??

If your main criteria for picking a wedding band is the cheapest, you don't always get the best....
    Im the singer..of course were the best lol

• Advertisement

Jofspring wrote: »
    We had the LOLs last month for our wedding. They had the floor full all night and have a great singer. All our guests were asking about them. I think it's nice to have someone from outside of town because they were new to all the guests.
    lols are a great band

Advertisement