Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTB New bills

Options
  • 24-05-2016 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

So, me and my fiancée are in the final stages of buying our first home. Can
    Anybody tell me the way about getting your bills all set up. Like esb, tv licence,? They're will be no connection fee as all the developer needs to do is switch on the electricity. Do I just go to a provider and go from there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Electricity/gas - phone a provider with the MPRN/GPRN and go. If you don't pay by direct debit most will charge a hefty deposit that covers the first few bills

TV licence - just buy one online

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

L1011 wrote: »
    Electricity/gas - phone a provider with the MPRN/GPRN and go. If you don't pay by direct debit most will charge a hefty deposit that covers the first few bills

TV licence - just buy one online

Perfect, thanks for that. All the other bills are straight forward

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

New home off the plans?

I rented a brand new apartment once, so just a word of caution - it can be a while before the meter men start covering your area, so you'll probably get a lot of estimates in the first months, and these can be quite low, giving you a big surprise later.

Be sure to submit readings online or over the phone, every couple of months, so you don't end up surprised.

As for setting up, the utility companies will be waiting for you to call, just get the MPRN and GPRN.

re: TV license, don't forget that they're transferable. If you have an existing one, email the tv license office and tell them you've moved house. I've found them excellent to deal with in the past.

MrDerp wrote: »
    New home off the plans?

I rented a brand new apartment once, so just a word of caution - it can be a while before the meter men start covering your area, so you'll probably get a lot of estimates in the first months, and these can be quite low, giving you a big surprise later.

Be sure to submit readings online or over the phone, every couple of months, so you don't end up surprised.

As for setting up, the utility companies will be waiting for you to call, just get the MPRN and GPRN.

re: TV license, don't forget that they're transferable. If you have an existing one, email the tv license office and tell them you've moved house. I've found them excellent to deal with in the past.

Thanks for the reply, it's an established estate just a few house left. They'd be reaching meters up there already. Ironically it'll be my first time living out of home bar a few years in college so never had a tv license

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

If it was a house that had already been connected, I'd also be advising you to take readings from the meters once you get the keys. Have a look at sites such as www.bonkers.ie to see what deals are out there for gas/esb etc.

All the providers will want you to sign up for direct debit and will offer discounts for this. It's up to you whether you choose to go down this route. The "hefty deposit" mentioned earlier for non direct debit customers can be in the region of €300.

• Advertisement

If it was a house that had already been connected, I'd also be advising you to take readings from the meters once you get the keys. Have a look at sites such as www.bonkers.ie to see what deals are out there for gas/esb etc.

All the providers will want you to sign up for direct debit and will offer discounts for this. It's up to you whether you choose to go down this route. The "hefty deposit" mentioned earlier for non direct debit customers can be in the region of €300.
    It was never lived in before but will take readings before I ring the supplier I choose. It'll be direct debit we'll be paying by.

Advertisement