Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clay Pigeons

• 24-05-2016 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭

Can someone tell me what happens to "shot" clays? Are you supposed to clean up after yourself, or are the remnants usually left in the field.

The above would be if shooting same in a private capacity, i.e. Not in a club/range environment .

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Depends on the land you use.

First thing to do is check with the land owner/farmer. Clays will break down over time but it's not a fast process. There were reports about it being dangerous/hazardous to some livestock, but i don't know how true it is or what the specifics are. To air on the side of caution i'd double check what the land is used for an be upfront with the land owner. Better to be turned down than for a problem later on.

Whenever we do such a shoot, we get everyone together after it's over to do a "line of cleaning". We pick up as much as we can and leave no large pieces sitting or visible. The bigger issue would be to clean up spent shells, and any boxes/other rubbish.

We also use land that is not for pasture or farming. Its mountainous land and the clays land (whole or partially) into ground that has not been touched in decades. All of this of course with the land owners blessing.

Lastly we don't do it often. Maybe once or twice a year.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Thanks Cass. I am new to all this. I will be picking up a gun over the next week or so and am trying to get all my fact straight and don't won't start off on the wrong foot. I have permission to shoot on some land which is used for sheep and cattle.but I wanted get in some clay practice on my own before attempting to join with seasoned pros.

Don't let that worry you lad. Go to a range and shoot there. no one will mock you or think less of you for the amount you can/cannot hit.

We all had to start somewhere. Have a look under this post. You'll see, in small writing, a link for rifle ranges and clay ranges. Check them out to see who is close to you and then head down. Most ranges welcome non members and are only too happy to help you get started.

What gun did you go for, do you mind me asking?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Cass, after a little bit of research ( and not wanting to spend too much, at the start anyway) I went for an o/u Baikal second hand.

Bye the bye, I am well beyond a "lad" lol.

Cheers

Jaysus i may stop that. You're the second person this week to say that to me. It's not a derogatory phrase. I use it, kid and on occasion son when i'm talking to people and sometimes i write it down. No offence intended.

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    Jaysus i may stop that. You're the second person this week to say that to me. It's not a derogatory phrase. I use it, kid and on occasion son when i'm talking to people and sometimes i write it down. No offence intended.

None taken:D, I'm not a pensioner either.

I have been shooting 2 or 3 tines a few years back, using a friends gun. A lot of walking and not too much shooting, so really what I I was hoping to was get used to handling the gun, loading, unloading and recoil etc. I.e let off a good few shots before going public as it where. But with hindsight I may just go for a for a lesson or two....

Opinion on Baikal?

Cheers.

I'd have to recommend a range/clay range again.

You'll get to do the shooting you want, in safe environment, with people there able to help/guide you through the safety and practical needs of shooting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭breakemall

Another place you should not shoot clay targets is over oilseed rape during and after the bloom. The pitch used in the clay's causes contamination in the oil at harvest and was a big issue in the UK a few years ago until the cause was discovered. I have not heard of the problem here though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭nigelm485

Where are you located

Advertisement