Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened to Gamestop?

Options

Comments

This could be just me , in that maybe a lot of what is coming out just doesn't appeal to me anymore like the overwatches etc but it does seem like there are significantly less games being released these days vs xbox 360 where I could be getting at least 2 games a month :confused:

That would also have an impact on Gamestop I'm sure? Even looking at the amount of games for sale in CEX the other day the number of ps4/one shelf games was tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

That €9.99er really does my nut in

Trade in 2 games from a list of ones we can sell for at least €50 PLUS give us &€10 for the privilege

=) they're getting paid at least €110 for the game

Shambles

Are you complaining about getting a possibly great deal for yourself :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Even looking at the amount of games for sale in CEX the other day the number of ps4/one shelf games was tiny.

Thats cause people are buying them

Games with Gold and PS Plus has ensured no one is rushing to buy too many Last-Gen games

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

To be fair though, on occasion, you can snag a decent bargain in there. I remember picking up FFXIII-3 and Kindgom hearts 1.5 for under a tenner. And I picked up the odd interesting game for around a fiver on occasion, all new.

New AAA games are definitely more expensive in there, but I think that's what makes finding a bargain in there all the more enjoyable, the sheer contrast in price :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

A few of us did well back when they had the huge list and you could get some of the games for peanuts in cex or hmv to use on the offer :D

Can't recall what the games were now.

I did the exact same thing, was great!

Can't remember the last time I bought something in Gamestop, think it was the DSi on launch which makes it April 2009! :eek:

They used to be okay for hardware but then recently Argos and Smyths have been outdoing them. Bought my PS4 and XB1 in Argos and Vita in Smyths the last few years.

I do like physical games but it's a mix of online and Argos and Smyths for them mainly.

They have just picked up a terrible reputation from actual gamers, so much so I probably miss anything decent they too have as I can't be arsed going in there anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

callaway92 wrote: »
    Are you complaining about getting a possibly great deal for yourself :confused:

The two games you can trade in are usually new games themselves not a game that's been out months so they are giving you €32.50 per game which they in turn sell for €60/€65.

Last time I looked you could trade in Dark Souls 3 and a few other recent games and then pay €10 for Uncharted 4.

That's not a great deal when CEX will give you €49 cash for DS3 and you can add €7 and buy Uncharted for €56 in Argos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

emmetkenny wrote: »
    The two games you can trade in are usually new games themselves not a game that's been out months so they are giving you €32.50 per game which they in turn sell for €60/€65.

Last time I looked you could trade in Dark Souls 3 and a few other recent games and then pay €10 for Uncharted 4.

That's not a great deal when CEX will give you €49 cash for DS3 and you can add €7 and buy Uncharted for €56 in Argos.

How much is Doom in Argos?

Andy Magic wrote: »
    How much is Doom in Argos?

Not sure. I don't see it on the Check Argos site.

Might not have it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I think Argos only have Doom/Overwatch available in bundles at the min.

Not sure. I don't see it on the Check Argos site.

Might not have it yet.

Nothing negative to say about that no?

• Advertisement

Nothing negative to say about that no?

No why would I have anything negative to say about that?

Maybe it's a game they didn't feel there would be much demand for? Or maybe they just haven't been able to get a supply of disks in yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

This could be just me , in that maybe a lot of what is coming out just doesn't appeal to me anymore like the overwatches etc but it does seem like there are significantly less games being released these days vs xbox 360 where I could be getting at least 2 games a month :confused:

Thats called getting old :pac:

I've a huge backlog, and strangely enough, in the last few months I've hit this weird sort of calm, where I'm geniunely happy with all the games I have, I've good driving games, arena shooters, puzzles and rpg's etc that I'm happily plugging away at, whereas in the past I'd play maybe 50% of something and abandon for the next shiny new thing.

I do agree that a lot of whats on the current release schedule doesn't hold much appeal though. Reckon I wont be buying anything new until Battlefield 1.

No why would I have anything negative to say about that?

Maybe it's a game they didn't feel there would be much demand for? Or maybe they just haven't been able to get a supply of disks in yet?

Or maybe they didn't want to sell it at a loss, or couldn't?

My problem with Gamestop is just how far staff are willing to go to get a sale, I know someone who went in to buy a WiiU one Christmas and the manager in Galway told them that what they wanted was an Xbox one as then they could play Mario on that aswell as other games. The person in question knew nothing about gaming so took him on his word and bought a One with a number of games and add ons that were recommended. After Christmas she went back in and was told that as the console had been opened there was nothing they could do and when the fact that the manager had stated that Mario could be played on the One, he looked at her and said "oh I meant games like Mario".

People saying that Gamestop need to charge so much is due to them keeping the doors open and is the reason that places like HMV and Game went. It really isn't, Gamestop have huge buying power much like Game and the others had only Gamestop never pass on any of the savings they make. People saying that HMV are making about 10 euro on a new release and that Argos and the likes are selling consoles at a loss is nonsense. I used to run a store, a small independent one that had a few games and we were making more than 10 euro on each new releases and still charging less than Gamestop were.

I have no problem with what Gamestop do, it's a business and as such I expect it from them. What I have a problem with is how their staff will lie to make a sale, sure it's part of the job but it makes it hard to feel sorry for them when they time comes and they lose their jobs due to being uncompetitive. I know someone who for his birthday got two copies of Battlefront, this was on release day so he thought he'd trade one in. Into Gamestop he went and they offered him either 13 or 15 euro while they were selling second hand copies for something like 70. He ended up getting 50+ euro in CEX for it.

Or maybe they didn't want to sell it at a loss, or couldn't?

I highly doubt GameStop or Argos or any large chain like that would be selling a game at a loss at €50.

Yes at €50 I'd say the profit is small enough but when your buying in bulk like they are you would be getting the item much cheaper than smaller stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Would have no problem with FunkoPop Stop closing. It has always been the most expensive option for games, even when it was competing with Game as a retailer focusing solely on games. I would browse the local one on a weekly basis but I honestly cannot remember the last time I bought something that wasn't a Disney Infinity figure for the kids. For me it's like HMV was in it's final days, somewhere to browse the option and make a mental note of what you will download when you get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Turtyturd wrote: »
    For me it's like HMV was in it's final days, somewhere to browse the option and make a mental note of what you will download when you get home.

You wait till you get home? ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

maximoose wrote: »
    Uncharted 4 is €18 dearer in Gamestop than it is in Argos, €10 dearer than Smyths. It's not just a B&M vs Online thing.

ive seen worse, earlier today I saw them selling a used copy of the Uncharted Trilogy for 75 euros!!!, I bought it on its first week of release in Argos for around 53 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Gonzo wrote: »
    ive seen worse, earlier today I saw them selling a used copy of the Uncharted Trilogy for 75 euros!!!, I bought it on its first week of release in Argos for around 53 euros.

That's not the standard price for the pre owned version of it in Gamestop though, its a misprice.

That's not the standard price for the pre owned version of it in Gamestop though, its a misprice.

A misprice maybe but you'd think staff would know the difference and let's be honest here, would it really surprise anyone if they were charging 75 for a second hand copy of the game as it's quite common to see a new copy and a second hand copy selling in there for the same price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Uncharted 4 - PS4

Gamestop : €74.99
    Argos: €56.99
    Smyths: €64.99
    HMV: €69.99

Permanent TSB are doing 10 euro cash back into your account when you spend 50 euro or more on your debit card in argos at the moment. There's a link in online banking to register for rewards like this. I actually had the new Uncharted in mind when I saw it. I think the offer is up the end of May

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Sweet, just checked that there. Mine is showing 2nd of June as the closing date. Thanks very much for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I can understand digital PC games killed the PC physical market - but do that many people really buy digital on consoles?

The prices on PSN and XBL are absolutely criminal. Digital releases for €65-70 that can be bought for €45-50 from Amazon in physical form - with the added bonus of being able to trade it in/re-sell it once finished.

I don't think it's digital that's killing a large part of the console retail market, I think it's places like Amazon online, and CEX locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

but do that many people really buy digital on consoles?

I, and most of my friends on XBL, have been 100% (or very close to) digital since launch - only physical game I've bought is guitar hero.

Only just got a PS4 last month but it'll be the same on that.

Probably still in the minority though, physical will be ahead for some time. Between region shopping, game sharing, code sellers like CD Keys, and the weekly sales digital works out very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

maximoose wrote: »
    I, and most of my friends on XBL, have been 100% (or very close to) digital since launch - only physical game I've bought is guitar hero.

Only just got a PS4 last month but it'll be the same on that.

Probably still in the minority though, physical will be ahead for some time. Between region shopping, game sharing, code sellers like CD Keys, and the weekly sales digital works out very cheap.

I have the odd digital only game, and it would have been either due to a very good deal or gift voucher for psn. But aside from that I still do prefer physical, mostly so i can trade in games i didn't like, wouldn't give them to gamestop though, much prefer CEX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Sometimes you can get a good deal on collectors editions. I got Reaper of Souls for 15 euro a few weeks ago. That's about all I would buy there, maybe consoles depending on whats on offer. Was asked if I wanted disk protection on an MMO expansion before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

I am no longer a console gamer.
    But I like to stroll into Gamestop every now and again. It's nostalgia really.

I spent so many hours of my teenage years in Game shops. I have really fond memories of reading the back of games to get info on them (pre-internet). I would find a game i really wanted then save up for a few weeks. The excitement of getting the bus down to Game to finally get a new game.

Strolling through Gamestop excites the kid in me. Although I ignore the merch/tat that seems to have taken over half of the shop.

Can't remember the last time I actually bought something in Gamestop.

I got a Christmas Voucher and still have not used it. None of the games available excite me either. (Not Gamestop's fault)

But back in the day, between GameStop and Game (remember them?) you could always find a gem in the second hand stack of games on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭FNSolidSnake

Lt Dan wrote: »
    I got a Christmas Voucher and still have not used it. None of the games available excite me either. (Not Gamestop's fault)

But back in the day, between GameStop and Game (remember them?) you could always find a gem in the second hand stack of games on sale.

I was in a Game in London about three weeks ago, saw a game there recommended by a friend for about 35 pounds preowned. Brought it up to the till, when they scanned it I was told they had brand new sealed copies for only 10. Wish they were still around in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I was in a Game in London about three weeks ago, saw a game there recommended by a friend for about 35 pounds preowned. Brought it up to the till, when they scanned it I was told they had brand new sealed copies for only 10. Wish they were still around in Ireland.

Not a chance they'd tell you that in GS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I can understand digital PC games killed the PC physical market - but do that many people really buy digital on consoles?

The prices on PSN and XBL are absolutely criminal. Digital releases for €65-70 that can be bought for €45-50 from Amazon in physical form - with the added bonus of being able to trade it in/re-sell it once finished.

I don't think it's digital that's killing a large part of the console retail market, I think it's places like Amazon online, and CEX locally.

I do, I just don't buy at launch, unless it's something I'm desperate for. If you're willing to wait a couple of months you get the games on sale much, much cheaper and they're nearly always cheaper that the prices the brick and mortar stores are charging.

Friday used to be the big day of the week for new releases for me, but now it's Tuesday for the new Xbox weekly sales and Wednesday for the new Playstation sales that are the days I look out for now.

Advertisement