Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Hearing Aids

Options
  • 24-05-2016 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hi all...

So, my Starkey hearing aids are now 5 years old and I'm looking to get a new set. Tech has advanced a lot in the last 5 years, so I'm looking for opinions on any of these three brands... Oticon, Unitron and Starkey. My audiologist has said that the Unitron aids are the best at the moment, but I'd like to hear feedback from people that actually use them.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 geco1970

Hi, first a little background, I am a hearing aid audiologist, don't work full time anymore just do some locum work. I work in the web end of audiology now, writing copy and designing websites. I also run a hearing aid advice site in the UK.

So, Unitron is a good choice, they are the second brand of an international corporation called Sonova which is arguably the biggest hearing solution company in the world. Oticon, is similarly part of a large corporation called William Demant which vies for first place with Sonova. Starkey is part of the big six hearing aid manufacturers. The others are Widex, Phonak, Siemens and GN Resound

I don't like Starkey, personal problems with reliability issues but that was a few years ago. Their new Muse stuff looks interesting but it is too early to discuss reliability. The Oticon stuff is just about to be upgraded but their stuff is pretty solid.

I have a lot of experience with Unitron, they offer great hearing aids which deliver pretty well. Their latest platform is the North, this is important. The platform is the underlying chip that runs the hearing aid. The hearing aids available on that platform is the Stride (traditional Behind The Ear and In The Ear hearing aids) and the Moxi (Receiver In The Canal Hearing Aids).

The North comes in several technology levels, in essence the higher the tech level, the better it will do for you in complex sound situations. Of course the higher the price as well. Talking about price, the cost of hearing aids just doesnt cover the actual hearing aids it also covers the aftercare and support that you will need to get on with them.

Be clear about the support you are getting for the money you are paying. The Unitron stuff has a special feature called FlexTrial which will allow you to trial the hearing aids for a specific amount of time. They also have another feature called Log It All which allows data to be gathered about the typical sound situations you find yourself in. Both of these features deliver big for you and the Dispenser, FlexTrial allow you to trial any level of technology (FlexTrial can be set for all of the tech levels available) and Log It All allows the Dispenser to show you what you face and what technology levels are ideal.

You might not go for the recommended because of budget considerations but at least you will understand your needs better and be able to better manage the hearing aids you do decide on. Ask your Dispenser if he does the FlexTrial, not all of them do.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jillo24

Hi all,
    I've just received a quote from two different suppliers for two hearing aids.
    The same brand and model Widex unique 330 . Is this possibles?
    Any advice is welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jillo24

Sorry I forgot to add that there was a €1000 in the difference

Prices can vary hugely, depends on the service you want. Aftercare service is very important, particularly if you are a new user. It depends on what you want and expect. Some national outlets will be conveyor belt service, in and out as quick as possible. Independents tend to be a little bit more focused on you offering more time to you during your aftercare. More time, equals more money. It really depends on what you want and need. No matter what, be very clear about what the cost covers, how much service you get for how long, get it in writing.

Good luck

Should have said, the Unique 330 is a pretty solid hearing aid range. What model have you been offered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I had one top of the range Widex for about 6 years, now I have just got 2 mid range Unitron. The difference is that I am now not in a classroom situation so it is not quite so important that I have the high end. I have the impression that there was a noticeable difference in the quality of the Widex - it was better - than the Unitron. There was a significant difference in price though, so I suppose you get what you pay for. If I had not had the high end Widex I think I would be very satisfied with the Unitron; I have had them adjusted and they will be fine I think.

As to cost, I don't think there are any regulations on price, you may be getting much better after-care service from the more expensive seller - or you may not. You are not just paying for the unit.

Advertisement