Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to meet people??

Options
  • 24-05-2016 4:51pm

Hey,

I don't know why but it seems to be very hard to meet young Irish people on a night out or even at meetup groups. I'm a 22 Irish male, very social (when I want to be) and I pretty much always go out with my best mate (23) but nothing ever comes of it.

We have no problem approaching people in bars/clubs and have tried the whole meetup.com thing but everyone on it seems to be that bit older and/or foreign. I finished my degree there a week ago and have found meeting new people hard to come by.

The social aspect of college/work just hasn't worked out for whatever reason, perhaps cause I'm not much of a group person but its really frustrating as we're pretty cool, mature, genuine guys and have no problem getting with girls but opportunities are very limited in our position.

Does anyone have any advice? Anyone our age feel the same way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

Tinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kraft.l

meetup.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

Kraft.l wrote: »
    meetup.com

He tried that already

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭goochy

Join dublin city macra or a hiking club - try volunteering - I am a dub living in cork - I did volunteering and have met lovely people .

You could try 5 aside soccer or tag rugby . Keep busy and you will end up meeting plp

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

dave1994 wrote: »
    Hey,

I don't know why but it seems to be very hard to meet young Irish people on a night out or even at meetup groups. I'm a 22 Irish male, very social (when I want to be) and I pretty much always go out with my best mate (23) but nothing ever comes of it.

We have no problem approaching people in bars/clubs and have tried the whole meetup.com thing but everyone on it seems to be that bit older and/or foreign. I finished my degree there a week ago and have found meeting new people hard to come by.

The social aspect of college/work just hasn't worked out for whatever reason, perhaps cause I'm not much of a group person but its really frustrating as we're pretty cool, mature, genuine guys and have no problem getting with girls but opportunities are very limited in our position.

Does anyone have any advice? Anyone our age feel the same way?

Firstly very few people make proper friends on nights out in pubs/clubs. Since you're in college your best bet is picking a society and sticking with it every week for at least an entire term.

Secondly, you say that you are "pretty cool, mature, genuine guys and have no problem getting with girls" and you are in college. Yet at the same time you say "opportunities are very limited in our position". You are quite literally in the best position you can possibly be in for making friends and I'm sorry to be harsh here but it sounds like you aren't trying very hard. If you have nothing holding you back there really aren't any excuses.

EDIT:

I missed the part about you finishing your degree. Since societies aren't an option for you anymore your best bet would be work and volunteering IMO. They are the two top places for meeting lifelong friends after college from what i've heard from others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

So you want young Irish friends? And you're not a group person?

Busstops. Pubs.

But seriously, what have you against groups? There are a lot of young meetups, there are Boards Beers, but you're not going to make good friends by going once or twice. You have to meet a lot of people to make a few good friends.

Do you have any interests?

GAA, might weed out the furreners.

Advertisement