Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stray cats

• 24-05-2016 5:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭

Hope someone can help, we have a lot of stray cats about the place in the last couple of months one of my neighbours must be feeding them

Anyway my problem is that the have my dog driven demented, they sit on the wall tormenting him - he is only a little thing and they know well he will never reach them lol, he has already put his hip out chasing them :(
    The cats are also getting into his kennel and eating/drinking from his bowls - yes they are that cheeky :eek:

My dog is an inside fella but obviously has a happy medium and does go out for a while every day to run around , we close off his kennel when he isnt using it and have started taking in his food/water but really I need to deter these cats somehow ?

Has anyone a solution, I am an animal lover but my dog has to come first here

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

I would not leave food around as a start. Generally the advice is to feed in the morning and evening and pickm up the bowl after 20minutes if they haven't eaten it. (I've a lab. It never last 2 mins let alone 20)

Once there is no food for them and the kennel is closed so there isn't anywhere comfy then your back garden won't be as appealing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭magicray

Thanks Sillysmiles, I have been feeding him inside for the last while but they are still hanging around

They are also using my garden as a toilet which my terrier is getting great joy out of rolling around in :rolleyes: he has never been washed so much

I really need to find a product that I can plant/spray around thats also safe for my dog

A friend mentioned they dont like strong smells so I have planted lavender in some pots but they dont seem to mind it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Cats hate pepper so leave that around the place, also be careful as your dog is only small strays can be vicious, where are you located?

Cats hate pepper so leave that around the place, also be careful as your dog is only small strays can be vicious, where are you located?

Thats what I am afraid of, my dog is a complete softy the birds even eat from his bowl :o

I am in Lucan in a housing estate so they have plenty of choice but choose my garden for some reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

magicray wrote: »
    Thats what I am afraid of, my dog is a complete softy the birds even eat from his bowl :o

I am in Lucan in a housing estate so they have plenty of choice but choose my garden for some reason

How many is there? my sis works for a rescue she might be able to help.

• Advertisement

Honestly I am not too sure, there are at least 3 and they keep having kittens

I am not sure where the kittens are now just saw them carrying them around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

You to get in contact with someone to help with a trap neuter release program.
    Also there is a plant that you can get that cats don't like, so you could leave it in it's pot and move it around the garden to parts where they seem to be using most.
    But tbh, if there is a mother with kittens she is not going to leave the garden until the kittens are ready to move and then instead of having 3 cats that know your garden as a source of good theings, you could end up with 10 + as I assume kittens will learn from their mother that your garden contains nice things and is a safe space. So the soon you can catch the kittens and get the cat neutered the better for yourself.

Advertisement