Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deer licence help please.

Options
  • 24-05-2016 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Afternoon all.
    So just bought my first deer rifle. Can't wait to get it but gun dealer tells me I won't have it until the middle of October as my deer licence has to come back before I send off my firearm application

I am a forester with a good deal of deer on my sites and have on going section 42s at the moment and I've a stalker looking after it for me.. why should he have all the fun ha I thought.

Is there any way to get an approval of some sort so I can send off my firearms cert.I will miss 50 days of the season because of this. Has anyone had any previous experience with this??.

On the deer application from it says I need a witness will a family member do there??.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

nigelm485 wrote: »
    ........ but gun dealer tells me I won't have it until the middle of October as my deer licence has to come back before I send off my firearm application
    To a degree he is right, but to a larger degree he is incorrect. Some lads request a letter of approval (or whatever it's called) from the NPWS. This says that you will be granted the deer license come August. You may then use this letter as a surrogate for your deer license to apply for the firearm come August.

If you got it within the next few weeks, and then applied you may still find it could be July or even August before the firearms application is done.
    I am a forester with a good deal of deer on my sites and have on going section 42s at the moment and I've a stalker looking after it for me.. why should he have all the fun ha I thought.
    Not too familiar with Section 42s, but if the person/stalker currently dealing with them is the named person does that not mean he is the only person entitled to do so. IOW you cannot invite anyone not listed as the nominated person to shoot too?
    Is there any way to get an approval of some sort so I can send off my firearms cert.I will miss 50 days of the season because of this. Has anyone had any previous experience with this??.
    As above. However, and being a little pedantic, you're not missing the season. That begins in September. I'd still question your ability to shoot under the section 42 as a guest.

Hopefully someone with more experience can answer that one for you.
    On the deer application from it says I need a witness will a family member do there??.
    Yup.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭nigelm485

Cass wrote: »
    To a degree he is right, but to a larger degree he is incorrect. Some lads request a letter of approval (or whatever it's called) from the NPWS. This says that you will be granted the deer license come August. You may then use this letter as a surrogate for your deer license to apply for the firearm come August.

If you got it within the next few weeks, and then applied you may still find it could be July or even August before the firearms application is done.

Not too familiar with Section 42s, but if the person/stalker currently dealing with them is the named person does that not mean he is the only person entitled to do so. IOW you cannot invite anyone not listed as the nominated person to shoot too?

As above. However, and being a little pedantic, you're not missing the season. That begins in September. I'd still question your ability to shoot under the section 42 as a guest.

Hopefully someone with more experience can answer that one for you.

Yup.

Thanks Cass always great for a quick reply. That's great news.

In section 42s only the named shooter can shoot. This current 42 is up in 3 weeks. So I will 've not using 42s for the season but will be using them out of season myself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Gotcha.

Have you returned your deer application? If so then give them a buzz and explain you need a letter for your firearms application. If not then i'd suggest you get it away quick time and then ask for the letter.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Yup sent it off Monday. Il give them a call tomorrow thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭steyrman

Hi did you not put a deposit on a rifle in 2014 as you have another tread from then

• Advertisement

steyrman wrote: »
    Hi did you not put a deposit on a rifle in 2014 as you have another tread from then

Good man well spotted. I decided to use deposit on a miruku m38 trap gun.

Advertisement