Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Institution?

Options
  • 24-05-2016 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

I've been considering recently working towards chartership or starting the process in the next few months but I'm struggling to see which of the organisations to join.

I'm a civil engineer and currently work in the rail transport sector and I can't see an organisation that suits my needs just yet. Another point is that as I'm based in Germany at the moment, so while this is more of a future proofing excerise should I decide to move in the future, this raises the problem that CPD courses are hard to come by. (I am at the same time looking into German organisations to join, but that's a story for another time).

I've looked at the following "English Speaking" organisations:

ICE/IEI: I find are too focused on the construction side of things - I'm not sure what the added value to me would actually be. The ICE are active in Germany but the numbers are not so high at around 90 according to the website.

IET: Interesting with a fairly active German Branch but really biased towards software and hardward design - once again, I'm not sure what the added value would be.

CIHT (chartered institute of highways & Transportation): Would possible be the most relevant for me but they don't seem to have anything on mainland Europe (I've sent them a query to confirm).

Has anyone here gone through something similar before? Or is aware of other organisations that I may have overlooked although going by this link I think they're all covered. I don't work with railway signalling so the Institution of Railway Signal engineers have been left out.

Advertisement