Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best software development/IT related courses

Options
  • 24-05-2016 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

I'm a Leaving Cert student currently looking at studying a software development related course next year.
    I have been looking at ICT in AIT (cloud computing), BIS in GMIT and NUIG, Computer systems in UL or possibly software development in GMIT.
    I'm unsure of whether to go into Business Information Systems or a software development based course.

I also hope to become self-employed in the future and going through online courses in programming (Codeacademy and Khanacademy) I feel like learning to create my own software could/would open a world of opportunities for self-employment.

I'm more interested in learning how to code/programme than about computer science (theory behind computers, programming being a part of it, or so I've been told) so I'm unsure of which courses would suit me best. Not to mention I'm not too keen on a maths based course but I'm obviously not against a certain level of maths in a course.

Are there any courses regarded to a higher standard than others?
    What about colleges? are there any out of the ones (and others I haven't) mentioned that are looked more favorably upon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 John05sy

What I can tell ya that I.T is the worst course , SSD is better a little bit because they focus a little bit more on programming.
    Applied computing and Computer Forensics are the best , the first one focus intensively on programming and coding and employers highly consider the graduates from both courses.

You may find many people recommending I.T & SSD and claiming that if you like programming you need to work on your side not rely only on the course..... it is right but misleading:
    SSD gives you the basics of programming and on your side you need to build your skills and knowledge
    Applied Computing gives you a good ground about programming but all you need is to polish your skills and reach the perfection
    I.T gives you no more than intro about programming and you need to build your knowledge from zero.

Employers are not dumb to hire someone according to his degree title but also not dumb to hire someone has irrelevant degree to be a senior programmer one day , other wise why should people study any course !!! they only need to self-learn at home!!!

Anyone recommends SSD or I.T over the A.C , Entertainment Systems , search after him and you'll find him/her studied one of them.... they are literally biased.... you can go yourself and see the modules on WIT website and make your search.

Advertisement