Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - The TV Coverage

• 24-05-2016 7:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

So TV3 have announced their line-up for the Euros and there's some interesting names on board.

Joey Barton, Keith Andrews and Emma Byrne are just some of the big names joining TV3’s panel of pundits for its Euro 2016 coverage this summer.

While the notoriously outspoken Joey Barton will bring some colourful views to proceedings, former Republic of Ireland midfielder Keith Andrews will be able to draw on his previous experience from Euro 2012, while Emma Byrne’s place on the panel will be the first time a National broadcaster has included a female analyst on its UEFA Euro’s panel.

The trio will join other well-known names on TV3’s panel of experts such as Graeme Souness, Neil Lennon, Harry Redknapp, Kevin Kilbane, Gerry Armstrong and Lawrie Sanchez, with more names still to be announced. Trevor Welch and David McIntyre will make up the commentary team while coverage will be presented by host Tommy Martin.

TV3 will broadcast 22 live UEFA Euro 2016 matches this summer kicking off on Saturday 11th June with the pick of the opening weekend matches; England’s tournament opener against Russia. Following this opening game on TV3, the broadcaster will air 20 other games live and exclusive from UEFA Euro 2016 live on Free-To-Air television in Ireland, including matches from the last 16 and quarter finals. TV3 will also broadcast the final on 10th July in Paris.

http://www.tv3.ie/xpose/article/tv-news/204034/TV3-announces-its-Euro-2016-coverage-plans

Looks like Souness has left his RTE career in the past then. Barton should prove divisive which I guess is the point of having him there. Emma Byrne might also be a controversial pick, but I quite like her being included.

I wonder will TV3 attempt their own Apres Match-style comedy act? Maybe that would be a mistake.

Here's the list of TV3 games:

Saturday 11th June England v Russia
    Sunday 12th June Turkey v Croatia & Germany v Ukraine
    Monday 13th June Spain v Czech Republic
    Tuesday 14th June Austria v Hungary
    Wednesday 15th June Romania v Switzerland & France v Albania
    Thursday 16th June Ukraine v N.Ireland
    Friday 17th June Spain v Turkey
    Saturday 18th June Iceland v Hungary
    Sunday 19th June Romania v Albania
    Monday 20th June Slovakia v England
    Tuesday 21st June Ukraine v Poland & Croatia v Spain
    Weds 22nd June Hungary v Portugal & Sweden v Belgium
    Sat 25th & Sun 26th June Round of 16 (3 games*)
    June 30th June – 3rd July Quarter Finals (2 games*)
    Sunday 10th July The Final

And the games RTE will be showing:
    10 June France v Romania (kick-off 8pm)
    11 June Albania v Switzerland (2pm)
    Wales v Slovakia (8pm)
    12 June Poland v Northern Ireland (5pm)
    13 June Rep of Ireland v Sweden (5pm)
    Belgium v Italy (8pm)
    14 June Portugal v Iceland (8pm)
    15 June Russia v Slovakia (2pm)
    16 June England v Wales (2pm)
    Germany v Poland (8pm)
    17 June Italy v Sweden (2pm)
    Czech Republic v Croatia (5pm)
    18 June Belgium v Rep of Ireland (2pm)
    Portugal v Austria (8pm)
    19 June Switzerland v France (8pm)
    20 June Russia v Wales (8pm)
    21 June Northern Ireland v Germany (5pm)
    Czech Republic v Turkey (8pm)
    22 June Iceland v Austria (5pm)
    Italy v Rep of Ireland (8pm)
    RTÉ2’s coverage of the group stages includes all three Republic of Ireland games, the three Wales matches, two of Northern Ireland’s encounters and one England fixture.

RTÉ2 will also have exclusive live coverage of five round of 16 games, two quarter-finals and both semi-finals.

RTÉ will retain first choice on matches in the knockout stages and will broadcast a highlights programme on each night of the tournament.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2016/0303/772349-rte-agrees-euro-2016-sub-licence-with-tv3/

This is set to be John Giles' last stint on the panel. I think if I'm not mistaken, as well as the old regulars, Didi Hamann will also be involved.

The BBC will be bringing back Thierry Henry among others:
    Former England captain Rio Ferdinand and French World Cup winner Thierry Henry are among the TV pundits for the BBC's coverage of Euro 2016.

They will join BBC regulars Gary Lineker, Gabby Logan and Alan Shearer for 26 live matches.

Every game broadcast on TV and Radio 5 live will be simulcast on the BBC Sport website and app.

And in-game highlights will let you watch the goals from BBC games as they happen on desktop, tablet and mobile.

Former England midfielder Frank Lampard and ex-Germany striker Jurgen Klinsmann will also make multi-platform contributions across the four-week tournament, which starts on 10 June and is being hosted by France.

Gianluca Vialli, Jens Lehmann, Robbie Savage and Neil Lennon are among the other former international players lined up to share their expertise.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36246839

Nothing too noteworthy here, although I'm curious to see how Jens Lehmann gets on.

ITV's line-up will include regulars Glenn Hoddle, Ian Wright and Lee Dixon, plus Peter Crouch, Tony Pulis, Emmanuel Petit, Christian Karembeu and Louis Saha. I'm particularly interested in these two though: Slaven Bilic and Lothar Matthaus. Bilic should be a good guest and Matthaus is quite the character, so ITV could be decent viewing.

Unfortunately, if, like me, you have UTV Ireland, then you probably won't get to see any of the above ITV panellists and will instead have to make do with watching repeats of Lewis instead.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

The 2pm midweek kick offs are a killer. Hopefully someone has a good highlights show every evening. Barton should be great crack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Rangers' Joey Barton on Irish tv?

I'm not one to over react but someone should burn the station down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

gimmick wrote: »

Tommy Martin is its saving grace.

Very Suprised Brian Kerr is not on any of the channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

eh i dunno wrote: »
    The 2pm midweek kick offs are a killer. Hopefully someone has a good highlights show every evening. Barton should be great crack.

Especially the England v Wales game.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Tommy Martin is its saving grace.

Very Suprised Brian Kerr is not on any of the channels.

May be commentating?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Yeah its a good thing RTE never gave Trevor Stevens any airtime or it would be burnt down years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Yeah its a good thing RTE never gave Trevor Stevens any airtime or it would be burnt down years ago.

Yep, it was often the case that he and former Rangers manager Souness were the analysts on RTE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Amirani wrote: »
    May be commentating?

Hopefully. He's a good pundit, but he was a glorious co-commentator at the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Lehmann is great value to listen to. He's a little mental. Looking forward to this.

Feck, forgot that we don't get the ITV matches on UTV Ireland.

TV3 has the worst HD picture. Don't think it really is HD tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Being lumbered with UTV Ireland is like being shunted up a TV siding never to get back on the main line ever again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Was Souness sacked from RTE for the rape comment? Don't remember him appearing again after WC 2010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

eh i dunno wrote: »

Those will be only for the first 2 rounds of group games and 2 Round of 16 games that are on the weekend, after that then it is 5 and 8

Full list of 2pm games
    Saturday June 11
    Albania V Switzerland

Sunday June 12
    Turkey V Croatia

Monday June 13
    Spain V Czech Republic

Wednesday June 15
    Russia V Sloavika

Thursday June 16
    England V Wales

Friday June 17
    Italy V Sweden

Saturday June 18
    Belgium V Ireland

Saturday June 25
    Runner up A V Runner up C

Sunday June 26
    winner A V 3rd C/D/E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Feck, forgot that we don't get the ITV matches on UTV Ireland.

TV3 has the worst HD picture. Don't think it really is HD tbh.

HD Highly Dubious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Especially the England v Wales game.

Just realised I'm off work that week so will get the 2pm games :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Hi lads ye are lucky bastards, over here they're only showing a game a day:-( Looks like dodgy streams it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

The euros can **** right off if Kerr isn't involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Emma Byrne:confused: Tokenism gone too far unless shes a presenter then fair enough but otherwise? maybe im wrong, have never heard her on tv etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Emma Byrne:confused: Tokenism gone too far unless shes a presenter then fair enough but otherwise? maybe im wrong, have never heard her on tv etc
    We'll see if she is any good and hopefully she is but I'd agree that it stinks of tokenism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Amirani wrote: »
    May be commentating?

Oh yeah. That must be it.
    Kerr is one of the best pundits & is an excellent commentator
    Just a pity he is on TVfuzzy3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

England/Wales game being on midweek @ 2pm is a bit rough, would be a sickener to have such a game involving Ireland on at that time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

jive wrote: »
    England/Wales game being on midweek @ 2pm is a bit rough, would be a sickener to have such a game involving Ireland on at that time!

That's what Annual Leave is for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    That's what Annual Leave is for

wc 2104 I was on paternal leave, extended.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Is TV3 HD on saorview or do I have to rescan? Any time I've watched TV3 lately it's a horrible SD quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Kenjataimu wrote: »
    Is TV3 HD on saorview or do I have to rescan? Any time I've watched TV3 lately it's a horrible SD quality.

Sd on Saorview, Hd on UPC and Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

corcaigh07 wrote: »

and Eir and possibly Vodafone. HD subscription required for Sky

corcaigh07 wrote: »

They say it's HD but not really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I reckon arry on tv3 will be tv gold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I reckon they brought him to cover the France games.
    I just hope they let him do some of it in French ;)

Pity The Netherlands aren't there and we would have had Steve McClaren.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭yupya1

Not usually the "outraged" type but as Barton the footballer is an average journeyman it seems most of his fame and subsequent paid TV appearances comes from stubbing cigars out on kids and generally being a c*nt.

I won't be looking forward to his pseudo intellectual bullsh*t.

Just have Kerr do the presenting, analysis commentary and Co commentary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

eagle eye wrote: »
    We'll see if she is any good and hopefully she is but I'd agree that it stinks of tokenism.

There have been some insanely bad pundits on television over the years. She has had a career in international football (which is more than you could realistically say about Joey Barton) so unless we are actively precluding that the pundits have to be men, then there's no reason why she shouldn't get a shot at it.

If she's any use maybe she can make a career out of it, if not then hopefully she doesn't. I certainly wouldn't call it tokenism that one woman has been given a shot at it relative to the thousands of men that do the role.

Tokenism would be a situation where you couldn't have a panel without a woman on it, which is absolutely not the case. This is just one woman getting a shot.

yupya1 wrote: »
    Not usually the "outraged" type but as Barton the footballer is an average journeyman it seems most of his fame and subsequent paid TV appearances comes from stubbing cigars out on kids and generally being a c*nt.

I won't be looking forward to his pseudo intellectual bullsh*t.

Just have Kerr do the presenting, analysis commentary and Co commentary.

He comes off pretty well when he speaks about 80% of the time. If he can tone down the being intentionally controversial (might be a big enough if) and stick to his role as pundit then I think he'd be a breath of fresh air from the likes of a) Dunphy and Giles who clearly do absolutely no research and rarely know what they talk about and b) the Jamie Redknapp/Lee Dixon type who say lots of words without really saying anything at all other than re-enforcing your typical English football stereotypical ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Wasn't mentioned in the OP but ITV also have a female studio pundit for Euro2016, England striker Eni Aluko.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

A large percentage of people will not want to listen to a woman talk about football, it does not matter if she knows her stuff her not. It just wont work.

niallo27 wrote: »
    A large percentage of people will not want to listen to a woman talk about football, it does not matter if she knows her stuff her not. It just wont work.

That's on them for being ignoramuses though. Id be pretty worried if our TV networks were pandering to mysogynists. If she's good at it, grand, if not, get her off the TV together with Niall Quinn and Michael Owen. But the idea that someone would prefer to listen to a bad male pundit than a good female one is outright scary.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

No problem with having a woman on the panel, let her sink or swim on her own merits. Hard to see any negatives with it really tbh.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

CSF wrote: »
    That's on them for being ignoramuses though. Id be pretty worried if our TV networks were pandering to mysogynists. If she's good at it, grand, if not, get her off the TV together with Niall Quinn and Michael Owen. But the idea that someone would prefer to listen to a bad male pundit than a good female one is outright scary.

Well that is just the world we live in i'm afraid. I am sure there are plenty of subjects were if the roles were reversed people would have no interest in listening to a man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

eagle eye wrote: »

Heard her co-commentate on games in Women's WC on Eurosport last year, thought she was very poor tbh, mumbling away and her voice was pretty grating too.

The BBC had decent pundits for women's WC like Natasha Dowie, I'd have tried possibly for her or one of the others ahead of Emma Byrne but I presume she's gonna be on TV3 so she's Irish and fits the profile.

Won't be watching when she's on unless she has improved ten-fold from last summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Will the female pundits dress like those women covering the football on Italian TV ?

Not sure if there were on one of Silvio's channels or not ?

Italian "match of the Day" Noche de Juegos have had

BqUteyBCMAAXLuX.jpg

BBC Match of the Day will have Gary Lineker in his jocks. :o

I am not allowed discuss …

Well that is just the world we live in i'm afraid. I am sure there are plenty of subjects were if the roles were reversed people would have no interest in listening to a man.

Are you one of these people?

• Advertisement

Are you one of these people?

I am not a woman.

Shocked they didnt give stephanie roche a spot. Could of talked more about her goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

No problem with Emma Byrne but Harry Redknapp is an awful choice reallly awful pundit.

kksaints wrote: »
    No problem with Emma Byrne but Harry Redknapp is an awful choice reallly awful pundit.

Arry is gonna be triffic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is Barton only on during the 3 England games, or is he doing others across the tournament?
    I heard on the radio, "he is doing analysis on the England games for TV3", but they didn't answer the rest of the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

kksaints wrote: »
    No problem with Emma Byrne

You will once she starts talking!!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Doesn't mean it has to stay that way though.

This isn't Emma just being given a shot. She has been working for Eurosport for a while and she's studying sports journalism and broadcasting so she's far more qualified than your average Michael Owen. She is practically qualified both on and off the field for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Doesn't mean it has to stay that way though.

This isn't Emma just being given a shot. She has been working for Eurosport for a while and she's studying sports journalism and broadcasting so she's far more qualified than your average Michael Owen. She is practically qualified both on and off the field for this.

I've no problem with her being on there at all if she turns out decent but Owen, whether you loath him or not, is far more qualified for this level of football. It is actually ok to say the pretty big differences between mens and womens football at professional level, sometimes it seems that people don't for fear of coming across a certain way.

Corholio wrote: »
    I've no problem with her being on there at all if she turns out decent but Owen, whether you loath him or not, is far more qualified for this level of football. It is actually ok to say the pretty big differences between mens and womens football at professional level, sometimes it seems that people don't for fear of coming across a certain way.

Being good at football doesn't make you more qualified to talk about football. Being good at talking about football makes you qualified to talk about football. Owen is really bad at that so the level he played at doesn't come into it much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Being good at football doesn't make you more qualified to talk about football. Being good at talking about football makes you qualified to talk about football. Owen is really bad at that so the level he played at doesn't come into it much.

If it's talking about a particular level of football that someone has played in then in my opinion it does make you more qualified. The actual output from someone who has qualified to talk about it is always debatable but it doesn't lessen his more experience and qualification to actually do it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement