Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - The TV Coverage

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Green Fella

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Bit of a contradiction there. You don't want a female because they haven't played at a high level, yet you'd be happy with a Football Journalist, the vast majority of whom have played at no level.

If Mourinho, Wenger and Klopp etc can do as well as they have at management without having played at a high level, I'm sure there's plenty can talk about it with having done so either. Personally I'd rather Ken Early, Amy Lawerence, Barry Glendenning or Phil McNulty over the likes of Savage, Wrght, Merson or Shearer

What I meant to add was "if we were going down that road" of people who havent play at the top level, I would prefer football journalists or interesting mens players of a lower level. It just smacks of forced politics and "equality" where it is not wanted or needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Patww79 wrote: »

Just because someone doesn't listen to football podcasts (I do for what it's worth) doesn't make them drooling sun reading lot.

Very condescending post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Emma Byrne has played at the top level. She has played International Football and Champions League football as well as winning numerous premier league and FA Cup titles.

Stephanie Roche, I agree, is piggy backing off of her goal.

You don't have to have been a player to talk football. You don't need to have been a player at any level to be a good coach either.

People who love and understand football with few allegiances and friends within the game would do a far better job than most of those ex and current professionals that are on the panels. There are a number of internet football journalists out there who write and give analysis of the game just for the love of it and they get their points across a lot better. Not just generic opinions that we see a lot of but proper tactical analysis with the footage to back it up. They are the people I want to see.

https://twitter.com/AdinOsmanbasic for example. Started with just doing analysis on Twitter as a young teenager. He talks better football than any body apart from Bilic on the channels covering the Euros.

• Advertisement

Again....another condescending post!! In fact even more condescending than the last!

Not many people have the time with work, family etc to sit down listen to podcasts and familiarise themselves with Gabriel Marchotti or Ken Early, yet You are generalising them as idiots who have no interest in listening to meaningful discussion on a match, and generalising them as the Sun Brigade!

Enjoy the podcasts but it doesn't make you anymore of an "intelligent football fan" or less! In fact a lot of podcasts are repetitive soundbites!

I agree with that but you could have said that without the snidey remarks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Emma Byrne has played at the top level. She has played International Football and Champions League football as well as winning numerous premier league and FA Cup titles.

Stephanie Roche, I agree, is piggy backing off of her goal.

You don't have to have been a player to talk football. You don't need to have been a player at any level to be a good coach either.

People who love and understand football with few allegiances and friends within the game would do a far better job than most of those ex and current professionals that are on the panels. There are a number of internet football journalists out there who write and give analysis of the game just for the love of it and they get their points across a lot better. Not just generic opinions that we see a lot of but proper tactical analysis with the footage to back it up. They are the people I want to see.

https://twitter.com/AdinOsmanbasic for example. Started with just doing analysis on Twitter as a young teenager. He talks better football than any body apart from Bilic on the channels covering the Euros.

Those people don't bring in viewers though.

Very few people know who Emma Byrne is so there not going to be attracted to watch the programme with her being a pundit.

The reason former well know players get most punditry roles is because of their ability to bring in viewers.

TV companies don't give a sh1te about quality they just want someone or something to bring in viewers.George Hook,Pat Spillane,Joe Brolly and Dunphy etc talk piles of scutter over and over again yet they are on TV because of the potential for car crash TV.Big name former players bring in viewers because everyone knows who they are, there's a reason Slaven Bilic is working for ITV and not one of his former Croatian team mates and it's because he has a high profile in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

you gotta love Keith Andrews 1930s hairstyle :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Watching Peter Collins present reminds just how much I miss Bill :(

An argument could be made that he is more 'professional' in his demeanor and questions to the panel, as opposed to O'Herlihy's playing the dummy troll act, but i generally find him to be somewhat plastic and rigid in how he interacts and devoid of any real personality.

I find his speaking tone seems overly forced and 'showbiz'-y too, if that makes sense.

Can't stand Peter Collins presenting in any form. As a commentator he is even worse, he tries too hard to put excitement into his mono-tonal voice, every time a ball gets near the box he raises it in a very false kind of way and then the ball goes for a corner and he's back to the mono-tone. I remember years back he commentated on Formula 1 and the guy had an amazing ability to bore you to sleep. Collins is a failed 2fm DJ who would be long out the door in any other organisation except for RTE. But because its RTE they had to find a position for him somewhere. He shouldn't even be let near the Community Games.

Is it me or have the TV producers axed chowing the Shots on Target statistic, and instead just shows total attempts? Shots on target is a far better and more interesting statistic to gauge how a game is going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Ritchie Saddler speaking a whole load of sense in the post-Portugal/Austria game. Probably the best pundit on RTE this tournament for me. Would like to see him and Duff cover the same game (if they haven't already).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

fryup wrote: »

Brilliant hairstyle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Ritchie Saddler speaking a whole load of sense in the post-Portugal/Austria game. Probably the best pundit on RTE this tournament for me. Would like to see him and Duff cover the same game (if they haven't already).

Delighted he pointed out Alkin's "arrogance" comment re Ronaldo - which was needless from somebody who should be a neutral reporter of the game.

Himself and Didi by far the best. Clear they do their research unlike the likes of Dunphy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

Delighted he pointed out Alkin's "arrogance" comment re Ronaldo - which was needless from somebody who should be a neutral reporter of the game.

What did he say and what happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

fryup wrote: »

He looks like Apres Match taking off Martin King:

000c69b6-872.jpg

Mec27 wrote: »
    What did he say and what happened?

After the Ronaldo penalty miss, Aiken said "the arrogance of the man!" Sadlier called him out on it after the match saying he's not sure what Aiken meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

After the Ronaldo penalty miss, Aiken said "the arrogance of the man!" Sadlier called him out on it after the match saying he's not sure what Aiken meant.

It also got edited out of the highlights!

• Advertisement

Mark Kinsella is not a man for the media spotlight........................

I like the RTE highlights show, i think Kenny in particular is good (at this particular moment in time...), but the studio seems way too big to have a comfortable conversation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He meant exactly what it sounded like and what a lot of fans think Ronnie is an arrogant man and missing the pen could of happened to a nicer person.

Funny hearing Giles covering for himself today. At half time:

"Lukaku's been a disgrace so far"

After the game:

"My man Lukaku got two goals, the manager must have given him a bollocking at half time".

Is the GAA season on at the moment?

You wouldn't notice it. Well, except for every single ad being for it. (Or Hyundai's real fans horsesh*t).

After the game:

"My man Lukaku got two goals, the manager must have given him a bollocking at half time".

Standard RTE lol

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

After the game:

Ha, heard that. The man has no shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

lol Kenny Cunningham suggesting that the dog was sponsored by Guide Dogs for the Blind. Half of me wonders if he thinks the charity is for dogs who are blind.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    lol Kenny Cunningham suggesting that the dog was sponsored by Guide Dogs for the Blind. Half of me wonders if he thinks the charity is for dogs who are blind.

Possibly so!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Lukaku was sh1te in the first half so I don't get what the big deal is with Giles pointing that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

But he wasn't. Didn't do much wrong and just lacked any decent delivery into the box.

He was one of the worst players v Italy but nonsense to say he had a poor first half today.

Speaking of Cunningham, why was he downgraded to the highlights show?? Was it just to make way for Damien Duff? Bit of a shame if so, would be nice to see some Cunningham vs Dunphy again! I assume he will be back in the big leagues now Giles is retiring

Belgium were pressing so much and surrounding our box that Lukaku didnt get on the ball (nor need to) much. His role in this situation is to dominate the box and hope to get on the end of something but there was very little delivery.

Not sure what people expected him to do? Drop out to the wings?

Speaking of Cunningham, why was he downgraded to the highlights show?? Was it just to make way for Damien Duff? Bit of a shame if so, would be nice to see some Cunningham vs Dunphy again! I assume he will be back in the big leagues now Giles is retiring

I didnt mind him as much as many others but he got negative feedback when in the main seat at the WC and before so RTE demoted him going on this. A "please the public" move.
    He has also only been given a small clothing budget with which he has bought two penny's t-shirts and a pair of TK Max jeans.

I didnt mind him as much as many others but he got negative feedback when in the main seat at the WC and before so RTE demoted him going on this. A "please the public" move.
    He has also only been given a small clothing budget with which he has bought two penny's t-shirts and a pair of TK Max jeans.

I never found Cunningham too bad really. He has a good sense of humour, and can provoke interesting discussions. He doesnt really have the charisma the others have I suppose, he can repeat himself a bit.

Really Giles should have been let go a while back, the other day he was commenting on games he readily admitted he didnt watch and talking utter nonsense. He can still come out with the odd pearl though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Cunningham was a slow burner for me, seemed a bit boring and serious but he good a pretty unique sense of humour and he does know his stuff. I found Clinton Morrison to be great craic, he struggles to articulate what he is trying to say but he comes across pretty sound. It's a joke that they got Stephanie Roche, her career has been going in reverse ever since that Puskas nomination.

Giles is a dinosaur, he is still living in his days from Leeds, can't seem to grasp how much the game has changed and is so far out of touch. Why Off The Ball feel the need to have him on each week is beyond, he drabbles out the same ****e every week.

I know this thread is for tv coverage, and I know most of yis know this already, but The Guardian Football Weekly/Daily podcast is by miles the best coverage as far as I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

What I meant to add was "if we were going down that road" of people who havent play at the top level, I would prefer football journalists or interesting mens players of a lower level. It just smacks of forced politics and "equality" where it is not wanted or needed

What's the difference though? Presumably you watch the news and can accept a woman explaining to you the economic consequences of Brexit or the meteorological effect on Ireland of polar maritime air masses? Presumably in various other aspects of your professional and personal life you'll listen to a woman's advice or expertise? So surely the gender are equally qualified to discuss whether or not Joe Hart should have had a wall or Ciaran Clarke shouldn't have lunged in. Why can a middle aged man with a diamond earring and a hair cut that belongs in Wham do this, yet a woman can't?

It's not like pundits have achieved a level intellect and knowledge only attainable through prolonged study and experience at the very peak of the game. Robbie Savage had the Budweiser "Watsuppppppp" thing as his answer phone message (and has an Armani tattoo) while Ian Wright once refused to discuss a game as a pundit because he was upset England lost. That's without even mentioning the Soccer Saturday circus. My point is that existing pundits haven't set the bar high, these are not intelligent, overly observant or articulate people. There is no reason whatsoever that a woman couldn't be a good pundit, couldn't add more to the discussion than the likes of Shearer Lawernson or the above mentioned, and couldn't attract more women to following the game

What's the difference though? Presumably you watch the news and can accept a woman explaining to you the economic consequences of Brexit or the meteorological effect on Ireland of polar maritime air masses? Presumably in various other aspects of your professional and personal life you'll listen to a woman's advice or expertise? So surely the gender are equally qualified to discuss whether or not Joe Hart should have had a wall or Ciaran Clarke shouldn't have lunged in. Why can a middle aged man with a diamond earring and a hair cut that belongs in Wham do this, yet a woman can't?

It's not like pundits have achieved a level intellect and knowledge only attainable through prolonged study and experience at the very peak of the game. Robbie Savage had the Budweiser "Watsuppppppp" thing as his answer phone message (and has an Armani tattoo) while Ian Wright once refused to discuss a game as a pundit because he was upset England lost. That's without even mentioning the Soccer Saturday circus. My point is that existing pundits haven't set the bar high, these are not intelligent, overly observant or articulate people. There is no reason whatsoever that a woman couldn't be a good pundit, couldn't add more to the discussion than the likes of Shearer Lawernson or the above mentioned, and couldn't attract more women to following the game

Ive made my points on this matter, I dont think Robbie Savages voicemail is relevant at all. Him and Ian Wright are interesting characters that have played at the highest level, they also are on English TV not Irish. Give people a choice over them and Emma Byrne and everyone knows who people want to watch. People switch off when they see these pundits, they havent played anything near the level of what they are discussing.

They are being given jobs because of their gender and Politics, not because of their ability. Stephanie Roche has done nothing bar score one goal in less than Sunday Leage level. Why would anyone listen to her? I know the media like to force her down throats of everyone. I mean remember when she tried to criticise Robbie Keane, it was embarrassing.One of my pals used to play with Nottingham Forest years ago, knows alot more about the game than Stephanie Roche and is not boring. You think he would be given a job on TV as a pundit? He would be laughed out of the place

Women on TV discussing Brexit, or Meterology are usually qualified to discuss these topics. Not forced in because they are a woman. Im not sure why you are slagging off their appearance of the male pundits either, how is that relevant? It wouldnt be acceptable to do so to women Pundits , so it's hypocritical to do to the men. Anyway everyone can have their opinion. Most people I know would switch off when they see women football pundits. The likes of Roche hasnt a clue, and how could she I've played at a higher standard its laughable stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

siblers wrote: »
    Giles is a dinosaur, he is still living in his days from Leeds, can't seem to grasp how much the game has changed and is so far out of touch. Why Off The Ball feel the need to have him on each week is beyond, he drabbles out the same ****e every week.
    Why are you looking at it then? Sick of the same shite people spew about the RTE panel. Compare it to the TV3 one. It's just boring. The RTE guys may not always be right but at least they get you involved.

• Advertisement

Ive made my points on this matter, I dont think Robbie Savages voicemail is relevant at all. Him and Ian Wright are interesting characters that have played at the highest level, they also are on English TV not Irish. Give people a choice over them and Emma Byrne and everyone knows who people want to watch. People switch off when they see these pundits, they havent played anything near the level of what they are discussing.

They are being given jobs because of their gender and Politics, not because of their ability. Stephanie Roche has done nothing bar score one goal in less than Sunday Leage level. Why would anyone listen to her? I know the media like to force her down throats of everyone. I mean remember when she tried to criticise Robbie Keane, it was embarrassing.One of my pals used to play with Nottingham Forest years ago, knows alot more about the game than Stephanie Roche and is not boring. You think he would be given a job on TV as a pundit? He would be laughed out of the place

Women on TV discussing Brexit, or Meterology are usually qualified to discuss these topics. Not forced in because they are a woman. Im not sure why you are slagging off their appearance of the male pundits either, how is that relevant? It wouldnt be acceptable to do so to women Pundits , so it's hypocritical to do to the men. Anyway everyone can have their opinion. Most people I know would switch off when they see women football pundits. The likes of Roche hasnt a clue, and how could she I've played at a higher standard its laughable stuff

I didn't make any reference to how any pundits looked. My point about Savage was simply to demonstrate that he's not a bright individual.

I'm not advocating Roche or Byrne, just disputing the notion that you have to be a man to discuss the game as a pundit.

If it's accepted that you don't have to have played at the highest level, then gender becomes irrelevant. Football isn't some dark art that only the brightest male minds of our generation can comprehend, nor is the understanding of the game dependent upon having a dick. Appeal to those reluctant to break the status quo, or to those who don't feel women belong in football is the only thing the average male pundit can offer over the average female pundit. It's 2016, get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Tonight civilisation hits a new low as BBC Four has to show Romania v Albania - the host and panel shall be dressed like so

thehourlead.jpg?1360674044

I didn't make any reference to how any pundits looked. My point about Savage was simply to demonstrate that he's not a bright individual.

I'm not advocating Roche or Byrne, just disputing the notion that you have to be a man to discuss the game as a pundit.

If it's accepted that you don't have to have played at the highest level, then gender becomes irrelevant. Football isn't some dark art that only the brightest male minds of our generation can comprehend, nor is the understanding of the game dependent upon having a dick. Appeal to those reluctant to break the status quo, or to those who don't feel women belong in football is the only thing the average male pundit can offer over the average female pundit. It's 2016, get over it.

" Why can a middle aged man with a diamond earring and a hair cut that belongs in Wham do this, yet a woman can't?"

So thats not a reference about a pundits appearance then? You are either a liar or total hypocrite. Why are you bringing general intelligence into it, nobody is disputing that, its irrelevant if they are qualified and capable of discussing football. Actually Robbie Savage is a fairly good pundit, I'm not sure why you think hes stupid or how that is relevant to female pundits on Irish TV.

Breaking the status quo, so it is Political then? Who said women dont belong in football that is nonsense. It's not about gender, it's about having qualified and capable people getting roles, not just because they are a women. Not sure why you feel talking about genitalia is appropriate. And "Its 2016 get over it" more over emotional nonsense. Over what, all I've done is give my opinion on pundits getting gigs who arent qualified. I dont have to get over anything, I just switch off the TV like most people. I have no problem with women pundits talking about womens soccer, because thats what they play and have played. Anything else is Political Liberal nonsense.

Maybe if they start managing Men football at the highest level, then it would be appropriate. Listening to Stephanie Roche have a go at Robbie Keane at present is embarrassing for all concerned. But now I suppose its some sort of anti Womens Rights view to argue otherwise in your world.

" Why can a middle aged man with a diamond earring and a hair cut that belongs in Wham do this, yet a woman

So thats not a reference about a pundits appearance then? You are either a liar or total hypocrite.

Forgot I said that. The point was to emphasise that the guy is an idiot
    Why are you bringing general intelligence into it, nobody is disputing that, its irrelevant if they are qualified and capable of discussing football. Actually Robbie Savage is a fairly good pundit, I'm not sure why you think hes stupid or how that is relevant to female pundits on Irish TV.

Breaking the status quo, so it is Political then? Who said women dont belong in football that is nonsense. It's not about gender, it's about having qualified and capable people getting roles, not just because they are a women. Not sure why you feel talking about genitalia is appropriate. And "Its 2016 get over it" more over emotional nonsense. Over what, all I've done is give my opinion on pundits getting gigs who arent qualified. I dont have to get over anything, I just switch off the TV like most people. I have no problem with women pundits talking about womens soccer, because thats what they play and have played. Anything else is Political Liberal nonsense.

Maybe if they start managing Men football at the highest level, then it would be appropriate. Listening to Stephanie Roche have a go at Robbie Keane at present is embarrassing for all concerned. But now I suppose its some sort of anti Womens Rights view to argue otherwise in your world.

I'm not trying to be pro women's rights, I just think it's quiet backward to be so dismissive of a woman's opinion on football. Obviously we disagree on the intelligence of Robbie Savage, which to be honest, goes someway towards explaining your attitude towards women pundits

Byrne on again , very progressive stuff from TV3 making her the main pundit. The feminists on twitter love it! And the viewers all switch off. No wonder their channel is gone down the pan. Maybe Sky Sports will bring her in, Souness might put in a word.

What next disabled football pundits to tick boxes. Embarrassing stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The main problem with Emma Byrne is her voice.

It's terribly grating to listen to.

I spoke too soon about ticking boxes. RTE have Hunt on with his accent ticking the Traveller quota. Get King Kenny back on, he has slipped way down the pecking order.

Wasted on TV3, shame he wasnt back with the lads on RTE, Barton aswell. TV3 safe and boring stuff

This tournament really lacking anything memorable from the pundits. Usually there are some passionate arguments but its dead, stale and boring. Just like the Ireland side. I only bother when Dunphy is in troll mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Kerr on commentary :D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement