Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - The TV Coverage

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Hunt sounds like he steals copper wire from building sites. Lets be honest hes not up to it, hes hardly the new John Giles with insight such as "he didn't get a penalty so he shouldn't either".

You're being extemely harsh there to be honest. I took that comment to mean that if the jersey pull was a penalty then the forward pulling the defenders shirt beforehand should've been spotted first and a free out given instead. Can't cherry pick fouls to suit yourself - if the rule is there then it has to be applied to all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Hunt talking about reading criticism online, lets hope he doesnt log in here lol

Let's hope so..... since you've likened him to a traveller and to someone who steals copper wire from building sites.
    RTE have Hunt on with his accent ticking the Traveller quota.
    Hunt sounds like he steals copper wire from building sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

This fans watching the Belgium match bit is terrible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Green Fella

sonic85 wrote: »
    You're being extemely harsh there to be honest. I took that comment to mean that if the jersey pull was a penalty then the forward pulling the defenders shirt beforehand should've been spotted first and a free out given instead. Can't cherry pick fouls to suit yourself - if the rule is there then it has to be applied to all

Hunt didnt say that he said if he didnt deserve a penalty because he wouldnt reach the ball, and that the referees should keep with the leniency. Im all for leniency but it would have been given at the other end

It was a stonewall pen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    This fans watching the Belgium match bit is terrible!

Why? They're just watching the match and saying the things most of us were saying without the expletives!

Alonso77 wrote: »
    Why? They're just watching the match and saying the things most of us were saying without the expletives!

Well...yeah! What's the point in that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Hunt didnt say that he said if he didnt deserve a penalty because he wouldnt reach the ball, and that the referees should keep with the leniency. Im all for leniency but it would have been given at the other end

It was a stonewall pen

But he also pointed out that a defender was fouled (jersey pull) in the build up so it shouldn't have got as far as a penalty claim. You (I dont mean you - just in general) can't ignore a foul in the build up and then scream penalty a few seconds later. It doesn't work like that

I'm not saying the foul wasn't a penalty by the way - just saying it was a free out first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Well...yeah! What's the point in that?

Shur Big brother is on the other channel if you're not interested...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Stephen Hunt seems to be after Dunphy's job as the outspoken one on the panel but very wooden when the conversation drifts off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Coverage has been decent this tournament, switch between RTÉ and TV3 when it suits. The matches shown are good for the most part but the refereeing is poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Thought Barton was very good the other day on TV3 for the Portugal game. He spoke about Ireland too and tore them asunder, couldn't disagree with a thing he said too on the matter. Made a good point that Clark, O Shea and Coleman were part of teams this season which conceded 60+ goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

rob316 wrote: »
    Thought Barton was very good the other day on TV3 for the Portugal game. He spoke about Ireland too and tore them asunder, couldn't disagree with a thing he said too on the matter. Made a good point that Clark, O Shea and Coleman were part of teams this season which conceded 60+ goals.

That's due to inadequacies in our defence, not necessarily managers I'll picking. But yeah, shows our limited pool in that area. Saying that Coleman would slot into most tournament teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Patww79 wrote: »

I'm hopeful that both him and McCarthy will benefit from working under another manager at Everton. McCarthy in particular has spent the majority of his professional career under Martinez and I reckon both have stagnated somewhat

Ah Coleman was one of the only positives of a pretty shambolic Toffees defence this season. Injuries have hampered him getting a good run of the form/standard he has set for himself but his work rate, dribbling, pass percentage and positive attacking mindset was very decent but yes his defensive play was below his usual standard but still above most right backs in the league.
    His tackling ha's improved and hid absence's were a big loss for Everton this season.

Definitely below par but a lot due to his own set standards in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Coleman did seem to regress at Everton this season, hopefully Koeman will improve him because he is some talent. Lets not forget either that he made that goal v. Sweden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Feel sorry for the woman doing the keepy-uppy last night. She had a real howler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Feel sorry for the woman doing the keepy-uppy last night. She had a real howler.

She was very nervous the whole time she was on, added absolutley nothing with her analysis, felt a bit bad for her overall. Stephanie Roche was pretty decent when she was on, did well with her keepy uppys too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

siblers wrote: »
    She was very nervous the whole time she was on, added absolutley nothing with her analysis, felt a bit bad for her overall. Stephanie Roche was pretty decent when she was on, did well with her keepy uppys too.

I felt sorry for her. She obviously has good knowledge of the sport, just her nerves got in the way of her displaying it properly.

Saw the conversation about female analysts a few pages back. I don't see the issue. You see it in other sports. In athletics Ailis McSweeney gives great analysis for RTE, and it doesn't matter if she was slower during her career than the people she is analyzing, her knowledge of the sport is very sound.

I think the issue with football is that it is a male dominated sport, unlike athletics, and so the people watching are mainly males, who don't take the women's version of the sport seriously. But these women fully know the theory behind all aspects of the sport; skill, coordination, agility, tactics, fitness etc etc. I don't see why they can't be on the analysis team, provided they are good at giving analysis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Green Fella

I felt sorry for her. She obviously has good knowledge of the sport, just her nerves got in the way of her displaying it properly.

Saw the conversation about female analysts a few pages back. I don't see the issue. You see it in other sports. In athletics Ailis McSweeney gives great analysis for RTE, and it doesn't matter if she was slower during her career than the people she is analyzing, her knowledge of the sport is very sound.

I think the issue with football is that it is a male dominated sport, unlike athletics, and so the people watching are mainly males, who don't take the women's version of the sport seriously. But these women fully know the theory behind all aspects of the sport; skill, coordination, agility, tactics, fitness etc etc. I don't see why they can't be on the analysis team, provided they are good at giving analysis.

The gap in skill between Mens and Women athletics and other sports like Tennis are not that huge, so it's understandable. The gap between Mens and Womens football, is so huge it's not even worth comparing. It is an entirely different level, Schoolboys underage teams have destroyed the best womens football teams, it's just not a fair comparison for anyone despite what vested interests want to proclaim

Outside that as pundits they really offer no insight and thats the bottom line. They are not alone in that plenty of the male pundits are similar. The women pundits are fairly nervous and will be scrutinized more because it's very questionable how they have been give the roles. I dont think it will attract women viewers either, its alot more likely to lose viewers. Women will not start tuning into TV3 in their droves just because Emma Byrne is on there, the novelty has already worn off and then you get down to the quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Sky sports made a big deal about Thierry Henry joining them and the reason for it is because he's Thierry Henry a great player and because he's a great player he should know what he's talking about and therefore his opinion should carry more weight and therefore pull in viewers.

Female pundits don't have that sort of draw and their opinions won't carry as much weight because they have no played at as high a level as the male equivalent (the gap between male and female soccer is a good deal bigger than in most other sports).As journalists their opinions carry the same weight as their male peers but from a playing perspective they don't.

There is nothing that should prevent female being held in the same regard if they are speaking as a journalist commenting on a game but if they are there because they were former players (and pretty much every pundit is there for that reason) then they don't have the same level of expertise as the male former players have.

Less people will listen to my opinion on the game because I'm not a former professional footballer you get the same opinion and a former player says it more people are likely to consider it a worthwhile opinion whether it is or not.

The difference in quality shouldn't really make that much of a difference, if a female analyst understands formation and tactics, has a good awareness of various leagues and players etc then she should be every bit as good as a lot of tv pundits out there. For in depth analysis it probably does matter, Gary Neville on MNF has a lot of experience to draw on but for the likes of RTE/TV3 there's no real reason why a female analyst can't be as good as her male counterparts.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Don't really think how good you are as a player decides how good you are as a pundit. Henry has been noted as someone who got the job based on playing ability but he's a terrible pundit.

The best pundit on RTE at the minute is Richie Sadlier, a mediocre player.

Gary Neville is probably the best in the business and while he was a quality player he was no Henry.

Jurgen Klopp was a mediocre player who made his name and eventually got into management because he was a good pundit.

And, when you look at journalists, none of the best had any experience playing and one of the best (in my opinion) Marina Hyde, started off writing about celebs and other rubbish.

The problem is just shoving women on panels as token gestures when they're neither good pundits, good journalists or good footballers... but when you consider most male pundits are just as bad it's hardly all that controversial.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

The best pundit on RTE at the minute is Richie Sadlier, a mediocre player.
    He's reasonably good but the best by far is Hamann. And not even in his native language - unbelievable.

• Advertisement

And, when you look at journalists, none of the best had any experience playing and one of the best (in my opinion) Marina Hyde, started off writing about celebs and other rubbish.

She's fantastic, as is Amy Lawrence.

Marina Hyde describing Mourinho's whining nonsense last year as some kind of 50 year old Anakin Skywalker ("and nobody wants that!") was exceptional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

I think the main thing about it from the viewing point of view is that the dynamic of the panel completely changes when there is a woman on the panel. The male contributors become passive and benign, on their "best behaviour". Also, the presenter tends to "bend over backwards" to make sure that the female contributor gets equal time/ gets their opinion heard / is asked same number of questions as the male contributors.

I have no problem with women on sports panels at all, some like Derval O'Rourke and Sonia O'Sullivan (in particular) are strong and impressive contributors. They are there 100% on merit. But where women are introduced on to panels just for the sake of having a woman on the panel to appease the feminists, then I have a problem.

He's reasonably good but the best by far is Hamann. And not even in his native language - unbelievable.

Thing about Didi is he comes across as such a really really decent, likeable guy. Not like Ronnie Whelan:mad: It's like when you're Da came to watch you playing soccer when you were a kid.. "Why did you do that? Why didnt you hit it with your other foot? That's useless, what did you do that? How could you miss that?"

Peter Collins was calling him Diddy.

Heh.

Y'know, like diddies. Heheh

I agree re Didi Hammann. Very astute, does his research and sticks to facts, not personal bias and has a bit of dry German humour which can be a lot funnier most of the time than "having the craic banter from the likes of Hunt and others!)

Hes fluent in English since he was a child, like a lot of Germans although mainly western germans and Didi couldnt have been brought up any more east of the country!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Peter Collins was calling him Diddy.

Heh.

Y'know, like diddies. Heheh

Peter Collins ...ugh. Meanwhile, Con Murphy, who is twice the presenter, is going to waste as no. 2 anchor over on TV3

trashcan wrote: »
    Peter Collins ...ugh. Meanwhile, Con Murphy, who is twice the presenter, is going to waste as no. 2 anchor over on TV3

Well Con did CHOOSE to leave in fairness. I'm sure he probably wishes he hadn't at this stage. But he would be much better than John Murray, who is really just on the Saturday Sport show now because RTE dont have the heart to fire him. Con actually had an interest and passion for sport.

Is Dunphy drunk again. What a bloody troll. Have a bit of respect. That wasnt even funny. Tumbleweed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Don't get the Peter Collin hate. I think he is very good. Well able to handle any of the pundits and let's the panellists do their jobs. Maloney is lesser in my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

Is Dunphy drunk again. What a bloody troll. Have a bit of respect. That wasnt even funny. Tumbleweed.

He looked less than impressed with the lack of reaction

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

This is my time, at this particular moment in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

What did he say?

What did he say?

The usual b*llocks.

Something about our manager asking the Norn Iron manager for any tips on how to win games at major championships.

What did he say?

He said something like did Mr O Neill ask Mr O Neill how to win matches after hearing Michael O Neill and Martin O Neill went to dinner. Noone answered or acknowledged him. Peter Collins lookedd at him like Dunphy was off his head! Then made some other comment, cant remember. Dunphy then tried to make the same "joke" again. Again Didi and Duffer just sat there.

Something along the lines of that anyway!!

Don't get the Peter Collin hate. I think he is very good. Well able to handle any of the pundits and let's the panellists do their jobs. Maloney is lesser in my opinion.

I like both of them. Bill set far too high a standard! Things will never be the same again! But thats why we will remember him so fondly!

I'll leave it there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I think Peter Collins is ok too. He does a competent and capable enough job as far as I can see. He's a better anchor than a commentator anyway, his voice is too monotone to listen to for 90 minutes. But as an anchor he's well able to field the questions and keep Dunphy in his box, as per tonight, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

He looked less than impressed with the lack of reaction

That was hilarious!!! Some sour face on him.
    Fair play to Collins. Well able

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I wonder is Iain Dowie commentating tomorrow?? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

First time I've seen the RTE highlights show. It's really sh!t.

First time I've seen the RTE highlights show. It's really sh!t.

Parts of it are absolute trash. That dog sh1t is actually dog sh1t.

Did they just show the same welsh fan that was crying after England defeat and say it was from todays match??? Surely not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Call me pedantic. But its doing my nut in the way RTE insist on printing league tables in a different format to everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Parts of it are absolute trash. That dog sh1t is actually dog sh1t.

Did they just show the same welsh fan that was crying after England defeat and say it was from todays match??? Surely not?

It's like it's being aimed at kids which would make sense if it was shown before 6 o clock. One of questions asked was "so they'll really want to go out and get a win for the boys in green Niamh?" Cringe inducing stuff.

The RTE highlights show had some good episodes, Kenny Cunningham and Mark Kinsella bounce well off each other but Kenny doesn't seem to be on it anymore, Clinton Morrison was great craic on it too but the last few episodes have been poor, Stephen Hunt and the girl on tonight are really poor. The segments they do with Tony O'Donoghue are quite good and the piece they did with the Irish journos was pretty enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

siblers wrote: »
    The RTE highlights show had some good episodes, Kenny Cunningham and Mark Kinsella bounce well off each other but Kenny doesn't seem to be on it anymore, Clinton Morrison was great craic on it too but the last few episodes have been poor, Stephen Hunt and the girl on tonight are really poor. The segments they do with Tony O'Donoghue are quite good and the piece they did with the Irish journos was pretty enjoyable.

Stephen Hunt talks alot but doesn't articulate his points enough, I know I sound like an absolute sh*te saying hes thick but god love him he really is.

Duffer has been very good and I reckon he will get better too. I'd love to have seen that clip of Dunphy being hung out to dry with nobody laughing at his nonsense.

If anyone has footage of it stick it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

No, the guy was crying at the Russia game too. Surprised they didn't notice it was the same guy from the England game. Btw, as far as I recall he was crying when it was 1-1 in that game as that would have qualified them (more or less) - they were happy tears!

Advertisement