Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - The TV Coverage

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

siblers wrote: »
    The RTE highlights show had some good episodes, Kenny Cunningham and Mark Kinsella bounce well off each other but Kenny doesn't seem to be on it anymore, Clinton Morrison was great craic on it too but the last few episodes have been poor, Stephen Hunt and the girl on tonight are really poor. The segments they do with Tony O'Donoghue are quite good and the piece they did with the Irish journos was pretty enjoyable.

Kenny kept slagging off Piere the Pup and put Aidan Power back in his box over his Iniesta comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

That show is awful. Don't know whats worse the highlights show or Irelands football.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Kenny kept slagging off Piere the Pup and put Aidan Power back in his box over his Iniesta comment.

They have put a straight jacket on Kenny's head to control his eyebrows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

price690 wrote: »
    Stephen Hunt talks alot but doesn't articulate his points enough, I know I sound like an absolute sh*te saying hes thick but god love him he really is.

Duffer has been very good and I reckon he will get better too. I'd love to have seen that clip of Dunphy being hung out to dry with nobody laughing at his nonsense.

If anyone has footage of it stick it up

Duff has at least twice referred to either a team or player as not having "the X Factor". He needs to stop taking advice on how to sit on a TV panel from Lois Walsh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

You've got 2, 3 or 4 matches to put into a 50 minutes highlights show.
    Its quite a remarkable achievement to manage to make that highlights show utterly unwatchable.

• Advertisement

It's like when you're Da came to watch you playing soccer when you were a kid.. "Why did you do that? Why didnt you hit it with your other foot? That's useless, what did you do that? How could you miss that?"
    I thought my dad was bad when he missed one of my matches. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Does George Hamilton wear glasses? If he doesn't, he should, and if he does he needs a new prescription. He is just awful with names and it's getting worse every time I hear him commentate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

That professional yet half arsed troll Eamon Dunphy should maybe have waited to see how Micheal O'Neill got on against Germany before having a bitchy dig at Martin last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    That professional yet half arsed troll Eamon Dunphy should maybe have waited to see how Micheal O'Neill got on against Germany before having a bitchy dig at Martin last night.

Some posters here comparing their win over Ukraine to our loss to Belgium and coming to the conclusion that they are streets ahead of us. Cakewalk for Germany so far, should really be 4 or 5 up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

Does George Hamilton wear glasses? If he doesn't, he should, and if he does he needs a new prescription. He is just awful with names and it's getting worse every time I hear him commentate.

He's good with knowing players and linking them to past events, but he always gets mixed up between them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Rte player says I am using ad blocker but I'm not, very frustrating.

Yes, RTE would want to get this sorted. Fair enough they want you to cooperate with their serving ads. I understand that, but to penalise you for having any ad-blocking software on your computer that doesn't even affect it?! C'mon now.

I had to resort to running a Linux virtual machine in order to watch the RTE coverage on a laptop and that should not be necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Mec27 wrote: »
    He's good with knowing players and linking them to past events, but he always gets mixed up between them.

Only heard him doing the opening match and he had major trouble distinguishing between Matuidi and Pogba and occasionally mixed Kante up with the two of them as well. Probably heaved a huge sigh of relief when Pogba was taken off during the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

God love that Aidan Power lad on Rte2...Mark Kinsella just saying there that Mc Govern the Norn Ireland keeper had played v well against Germany today,and that he's with Hamilton Academical...cue Aidan Power- ' so could performances like that see him move to the Premiership or Championship'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Green Fella

God love that Aidan Power lad on Rte2...Mark Kinsella just saying there that Mc Govern the Norn Ireland keeper had played v well against Germany today,and that he's with Hamilton Academical...cue Aidan Power- ' so could performances like that see him move to the Premiership or Championship'

Would a move to the Championship be a massive shock really if he kept that up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

If Kenny interrupts him anymore, Kinsella is going to lose his sh1t!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Would a move to the Championship be a massive shock really if he kept that up?

More referring to hope of moving to Premiership but even Championship would be a big step up from standard in Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Damien Duff said earlier he thought McGovern could wind up in the Premier League on the back of that performance, which I found a ridiculous thing to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

They were saying the same thing on MOTD, if he puts in another similar performance in the last 16 he probably will end up at a pretty decent club, not premiership but could see him in the championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Souness and Laurie Sanchez were saying that on tv 3 as well.
    Nobody knew he's out of contract though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

briany wrote: »
    Yes, RTE would want to get this sorted. Fair enough they want you to cooperate with their serving ads. I understand that, but to penalise you for having any ad-blocking software on your computer that doesn't even affect it?! C'mon now.

I had to resort to running a Linux virtual machine in order to watch the RTE coverage on a laptop and that should not be necessary.

When did it start this? I know it won't run with ghostery enabled either

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Why is it that a goal keeper is supposedly a world beater after one good performance and the media seem to buy into the hype of one good performance.

The vast majority of great goalkeeping performances from lesser known keepers are because of poor finishing and not great goalkeeping.

Guillermo Ochoa looked brilliant in goals for Mexico in then 2014 Worl Cup yet he's only made 11 league appearances for Malaga in the last 2 seasons which suggests he isn't that great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Duff says "to be fair" way too much, but i think he's been good, It takes a little bit of time to settle in i'd say. Also Darragh's "yeah ok" after someone speaks sounds very bad he needs to stop that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Souness and Laurie Sanchez were saying that on tv 3 as well.
    Nobody knew he's out of contract though :pac:

They all knew he was out of contract! Even Aidan "the fans are great" Power!

Why is it that a goal keeper is supposedly a world beater after one good performance and the media seem to buy into the hype of one good performance.

The vast majority of great goalkeeping performances from lesser known keepers are because of poor finishing and not great goalkeeping.

Guillermo Ochoa looked brilliant in goals for Mexico in then 2014 Worl Cup yet he's only made 11 league appearances for Malaga in the last 2 seasons which suggests he isn't that great.

IMO that's not it, it is that most top goalkeepers(and in the context of world football McGovern or Ochoa are top keepers insofar that they make their careers from it) are excellent shot stoppers, it is other attributes that seperate the good from the great.

It is why every ****ing relegation fodder team always has a goalkeeper that has had a great season, we often hear he kept the score down on more than one occassion. It is a lot different being a goalkeeper for Bayern Munich than it is being a goalkeeper for Hoffenheim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Duff says "to be fair" way too much, but i think he's been good, It takes a little bit of time to settle in i'd say. Also Darragh's "yeah ok" after someone speaks sounds very bad he needs to stop that
    The general response to any question from Duffer is: Raise his eyebrows, Look at the table, do a big pufffff exhale, then say "Yeah, ehhh, to be fair, ehhh yeah, as we touched on earlier...".

But I like him and he'll get better over time...still very young in punditry terms.

I find Darragh good in general, but he's no Bill.

Liam is Liam, I like the guy.

Dietmar is a serious pundit, love him. I get the feeling he has a lot of time for Liam, Eamon, John, Duffer....but not so much for Hunt. Which I can understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

KungPao wrote: »
    Dietmar is a serious pundit, love him. I get the feeling he has a lot of time for Liam, Eamon, John, Duffer....but not so much for Hunt. Which I can understand.

The Germans always take their jobs seriously! I agree he's very good.

Duff seems to know his stuff too and looks like he does his research which i'm not always sure the older guys do.

KungPao wrote: »
    The general response to any question from Duffer is: Raise his eyebrows, Look at the table, do a big pufffff exhale, then say "Yeah, ehhh, to be fair, ehhh yeah, as we touched on earlier...".

But I like him and he'll get better over time...still very young in punditry terms.

I find Darragh good in general, but he's no Bill.

Liam is Liam, I like the guy.

I was cool on Duffer until the night of the PSG/City match when he described Luiz and some other guy as the "two worst Brazilian footballers ever." Bit OTT but at least he's willing to offer an opinion.

I rarely have high hopes for players becoming pundits now because most of them are trained to say nothing or speak in drab cliches, but Duff is showing great potential, a good investment by RTE there.

Brady's a good pundit, one of the best, and all the better since he was liberated from having to stick up for his chum Trapattoni, as amusing as some of those frosty exchanges could be.

Hamann is good too, terrible tipster but good pundit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Hamann is good too, terrible tipster but good pundit.

I have also noticed that about Hamann.

I enjoy his punditry a fair bit, he comes across as knowledgeable and not domineering, with a nice streak of dry wit to him. He's honest in what he says too - he doesn't say things only looking to get a reaction. Of the newer generation maybe he's my favourite.

His tips though, are more often than not, terrible. If I hear him tip a country or team to go far in a tournament, it's the kiss of death to their chances. There's usually fairly sound logic to what he's saying but whoever he's backing tends to come up against bad luck or circumstances and get knocked out. I remember he was really impressed with Croatia in the last World Cup, could go far, etc, etc: eliminated by Mexico in the final group stage....

Arghus wrote: »
    I have also noticed that about Hamann.

I enjoy his punditry a fair bit, he comes across as knowledgeable and not domineering, with a nice streak of dry wit to him. He's honest in what he says too - he doesn't say things only looking to get a reaction. Of the newer generation maybe he's my favourite.

His tips though, are more often than not, terrible. If I hear him tip a country or team to go far in a tournament, it's the kiss of death to their chances. There's usually fairly sound logic to what he's saying but whoever he's backing tends to come up against bad luck or circumstances and get knocked out. I remember he was really impressed with Croatia in the last World Cup, could go far, etc, etc: eliminated by Mexico in the final group stage....

Yeah, I'd read his tips regularly in the Racing Post and while I don't have the figures, I can confidently say you'd be seriously out of pocket following him. Big Cas wasn't much better before him and Alan McNally was probably the worst of all time. But I dont see any correlation between tipstering and punditry, the best tipsters might well make for the worst pundits and vicey versa. I particularly like his analysis on Ireland because it's great to have an outsider's opinion without the histrionics and occasional agendas of other panelists.

• Advertisement

I think he's like Jeff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I've just turned on RTE for the first time this tournament, and within 90 seconds of turning it on Dunphy came out with this belter when talking about Irish football back in the day -

"There were 50 lads walking the streets of Dublin as good as Messi."

Apparently coaching kids is going to be the death of football, as it is a sport you learn in the streets.

I love those chats they have about the game on RTE. They are right about Europe though, football is now really an athletic game above all else, the magic has been lost, that spark, that unpredictability that makes football great has gone with the rise of academies and increased professionalism.

Oat23 wrote: »
    I've just turned on RTE for the first time this tournament, and within 90 seconds of turning it on Dunphy came out with this belter when talking about Irish football back in the day -

"There were 50 lads walking the streets of Dublin as good as Messi."

Apparently coaching kids is going to be the death of football, as it is a sport you learn in the streets.

They mean that what makes football great is dying, football will probably eventually evolve into some sort of NFL freakshow of athlecism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

They mean that what makes football great is dying, football will probably eventually evolve into some sort of NFL freakshow of athlecism.

They are goons to be honest. It was entertaining listening to their crap a few years back but it's boring now. RTE need to freshen it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Has Joey Barton appeared on the telly on TV3 yet? if not is he still coming?

• Advertisement

The three lads were asking after Saturday what would have the Italians done if faced with the same situation that McCarthy and Clark found themselves in against Belgium

Giles said something like "they would have kicked them into the stand"

Now today Giles is saying that Roy Keane should not be promoting the action of taking people out of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Has Joey Barton appeared on the telly on TV3 yet? if not is he still coming?

Yes he's been on a few times already . Been pretty blunt about ireland too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Tinie wrote: »
    Yes he's been on a few times already . Been pretty blunt about ireland too.

Damn it I've not seen him... he tells it as it is pretty much all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Why does the info button say Joe Molloy is on TV3? Is he not away with OTB?

IMO that's not it, it is that most top goalkeepers(and in the context of world football McGovern or Ochoa are top keepers insofar that they make their careers from it) are excellent shot stoppers, it is other attributes that seperate the good from the great.

It is why every ****ing relegation fodder team always has a goalkeeper that has had a great season, we often hear he kept the score down on more than one occassion. It is a lot different being a goalkeeper for Bayern Munich than it is being a goalkeeper for Hoffenheim.

The best keepers play for the biggest clubs it's just keepers who play for **** teams can often look a lot better than they actually are because they have so many saves to make.All keepers are good shot stoppers but the best shot stoppers tend to be at the top clubs.

NI's keeper clearly isn't a great keeper (in top professional) terms, if he is he wouldn't be playing with Hamilton.

• Advertisement

I doubt it.

Soccer has a lot more skill involved than American Football has.

I love those chats they have about the game on RTE. They are right about Europe though, football is now really an athletic game above all else, the magic has been lost, that spark, that unpredictability that makes football great has gone with the rise of academies and increased professionalism.

I think there's two sides to it:

Football has perhaps become more predictable, especially club football, anyway, with the same teams battling it out for championships year after year, but I'd blame increased commercialisation and professionalism bringing with them bigger disparities in income and resources between the haves and the have nots. I don't think it's the increased emphasis on athleticism that's to blame for stratification between teams across Europe. Just money. But things like Leicester winning the league can still happen, so the romance isn't totally dead.

But that predictability has an advantage too. I'd subscribe to the notion that the standard of football you see now, especially in the Champions League, is arguably the highest standard that's ever existed. Players have greater athleticism that's true but I don't see that as a negative necessarily, I think increased athleticism only makes skill even more important. I think the intensity and speed of top level football only improves it as a spectacle. The game has become more systemised but I don't think it's lacking skill. Arguably, maybe, there's more of it because, everything has to done at a faster pace than ever before.

I heard Duff saying a few nights ago that kids are now too busy playing video games and arent out anymore playing with their mates

We had video games back in the day,the only difference was it took the games 3 days to load so there was plenty of time for a kick around :D

Arghus wrote: »
    I think there's two sides to it:

Football has perhaps become more predictable, especially club football, anyway, with the same teams battling it out for championships year after year, but I'd blame increased commercialisation and professionalism bringing with them bigger disparities in income and resources between the haves and the have nots. I don't think it's the increased emphasis on athleticism that's to blame for stratification between teams across Europe. Just money. But things like Leicester winning the league can still happen, so the romance isn't totally dead.

But that predictability has an advantage too. I'd subscribe to the notion that the standard of football you see now, especially in the Champions League, is arguably the highest standard that's ever existed. Players have greater athleticism that's true but I don't see that as a negative necessarily, I think increased athleticism only makes skill even more important. I think the intensity and speed of top level football only improves it as a spectacle. The game has become more systemised but I don't think it's lacking skill. Arguably, maybe, there's more of it because, everything has to done at a faster pace than ever before.

Excellently articulated.

Ger Canning and Ray Houghton are a weird combo to listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Giles talking through the Icelandic goal easily felt 15 minutes long for something that was likely 15 seconds. Brutal silences.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

It's not rubbish to be fair. Dunphy, as well as many others, have been making that same point for years now. It's actually hard to quantify but i'm certain if you asked all our greatest players how they first learned the game, whether Giles or Brady or Heighway or Duff himself, they'd tell you it was on the streets. Good coaching is crucial later on but kids don't need it when they're 7 or 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Sssskopa! Who I never heard of in my life :pac:

People will always knock RTE though, if someone at La Masia said it these same people would be repeating it ad nauseam.

• Advertisement
Advertisement