Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - The TV Coverage

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Class Apres Match. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

Apres Match, one of the reasons RTE are head and shoulders above other broadcasters of international tournaments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

After all this time Dunphy still can't pronounce Juventus.

And wouldn't you think think that after the best part of a decade in Italy that Brady would know how to pronounce De Sciglio.:rolleyes:

"De skill-eeyo."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The start of that Apres Match skit nearly had me in stitches. John Finnerty is a good newsreader but I will never look at him the same way again when he reads the news on RTE. Thanks Apres Match for that laugh tonight. :D

Brian Kerr is on the RTE Highlights show with Ray Houghton right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

jam83 wrote: »
    Italy get 3 yellows in 3 minutes. Jim beglin: "I think there's a hint Italy may be starting to lose their discipline a little bit".
    Really Jim??
    Does the bleeding obvious have to be stated by co-commentators, just to say something?
    I find beglin ridiculously boring. Brings nothing at all to the table

Incredibly biased towards germany as well as he does commentary kn german games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I usen't to like Jim all that much but I think he's alright now. Especially when the competition is Ray Houghton and Ronnie "I think Ireland should have 5 penalties every game" Whelan.

I'd listen to Brian Kerr all day long. Not only about football, but he's like a Northside Dublin version of Morgan Freeman. He should narrate more. Aldi should sign him up for their next run of ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I'd listen to Brian Kerr all day long. Not only about football, but he's like a Northside Dublin version of Morgan Freeman. He should narrate more. Aldi should sign him up for their next run of ads.

you better tell someone Drimnagh has moved over the Liffey. :rolleyes:

you better tell someone Drimnagh has moved over the Liffey. :rolleyes:

My bad, I obviously mistook him for a man with more character than a Southsider :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Brian kerr is great alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Has anyone noticed the tv feed from France is pretty sh1te when it comes to camera angles. They've a ton of cameras around the stadium but when the ball is in play 95% of the time they use the main camera in the stand on the half way line. Its really frustrating to watch when the play is over the far side and you can't see tackles going in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed the tv feed from France is pretty sh1te when it comes to camera angles. They've a ton of cameras around the stadium but when the ball is in play 95% of the time they use the main camera in the stand on the half way line. Its really frustrating to watch when the play is over the far side and you can't see tackles going in.

Would much rather see the shape of the game than being zoomed in on a tackle tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Bit of a tasteless remark form Duff there I thought.

Describing Umtiti

"We'll see from the clips a bit later , he could be a bit of a bomb scare"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Muahahaha wrote: »

I think that's the way all channels show all games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

Duffers shirt is popping open

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

That was a really interesting debate about Iceland, youth development and where Ireland go. 28 minutes before a single break too.

Seriously can we just be rid of the "Senior Analysts". The B panel is light years ahead, perhaps swap Brady for Duff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Richie has had to up his game sartorially since the arrival of Duff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Seriously? His voice/accent is the equivalent of nails down a blackboard for me. I find him almost impossible to listen to, hence I usually go with ITV or the Beeb. Then again, that means having to endure Glenn Hoddle and Rio Ferdinand.
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

blueser wrote: »
    Seriously? His voice/accent is the equivalent of nails down a blackboard for me. I find him almost impossible to listen to, hence I usually go with ITV or the Beeb. Then again, that means having to endure Glenn Hoddle and Rio Ferdinand.
    :(

The Dublin accent may not be the nicest in the world, but Jesus it's 100 times easier to listen to than anything from "Dan sauv"

• Advertisement

LiamoSail wrote: »
    The Dublin accent may not be the nicest in the world, but Jesus it's 100 times easier to listen to than anything from "Dan sauv"
    It's not the fact that it's a Dublin accent as such. Some of their "softer" accents aren't at all bad. And I don't mind Liam Brady's accent, or Dunphy's (it's more what he says, rather than how he says it!). And both of them could be classed as strong accents. But I find Kerr's in particular, really difficult to listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

blueser wrote: »
    It's not the fact that it's a Dublin accent as such. Some of their "softer" accents aren't at all bad. And I don't mind Liam Brady's accent, or Dunphy's (it's more what he says, rather than how he says it!). And both of them could be classed as strong accents. But I find Kerr's in particular, really difficult to listen to.

I don't even notice Kerr's accent anymore. I think he's a brilliant football pundit: his amount of knowledge about the game is second to none.

Listening to Ronnie Whelan doing commentary with George Hamilton at the moment. Ronnie adds nothing of insight. Kerr would have endless information.

Arghus wrote: »
    I don't even notice Kerr's accent anymore. I think he's a brilliant football pundit: his amount of knowledge about the game is second to none.

Listening to Ronnie Whelan doing commentary with George Hamilton at the moment. Ronnie adds nothing of insight. Kerr would have endless information.
    You'll get no argument from me about that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'll have to disagree with Sadlier that Kerr should get any job he wants in development structures/FAI.

Does no-one remember his style of play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

dfx- wrote: »
    I'll have to disagree with Sadlier that Kerr should get any job he wants in development structures/FAI.

Does no-one remember his style of play?

Was nothing wrong with it. I think people are swayed by a couple of poor games near the end of his tenure. People go on about Trappatonis Irelands performance against France in Paris, Kerrs team produced a performance
    every bit as good, against a better France team, and were unlucky not to win.

Richie saying he doesn't know why the FAI don't get Kerr in. I do, two words.... John Delaney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Didi Hamann is the best pundit of all imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

fryup wrote: »
    Didi Hamann is the best pundit of all imo

I'd have to agree. I enjoy listening to him, he talks a lot of sense and has a nice sense of humour without going down the cheap digs route.

Didi alongside Souness would be a good combo imo. Pity they're on different stations.

As for the rest... Duffer isn't bad, he deffo has potential.
    Sadlier I can't take at all. That whiney voice.
    Kenny Cunningham is decent, seems a shame to me that he's been relegated to occasional appearances on that crap highlights show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I got this video on another site just now. The video is showing the end of a news bulletin called Tagesschau which is based in Germany. This was shown during HT of the game against Italy on Saturday night. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Lee Dixon reckon that if you get to a semi final, you expect to face someone better than Portugal.

That would be Portugal, no world beaters, but a considerably better side than Wales themselves. If anyone got the handier draw here it was Portugal far more so than Wales

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Lee Dixon reckon that if you get to a semi final, you expect to face someone better than Portugal.

That would be Portugal, no world beaters, but a considerably better side than Wales themselves. If anyone got the handier draw here it was Portugal far more so than Wales

Not the point he was making really. Italy, Spain, Croatia, Germany, France, all better than this Portugal team. He was just making the point that Portugal are a more beatable opponent, on the face of things, than what they could have faced on another day.

Of course it was Portugal who got the handier side of the draw. The other two semi finalists are the world champions and the hosts............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

RTE really do need to flush out the mainstays of presentation and punditry. They also feel detached from the whole thing being stuck in a studio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Not the point he was making really. Italy, Spain, Croatia, Germany, France, all better than this Portugal team. He was just making the point that Portugal are a more beatable opponent, on the face of things, than what they could have faced on another day.

Of course it was Portugal who got the handier side of the draw. The other two semi finalists are the world champions and the hosts............

Croatia couldn't even beat Portugal so they certainly can't claim to be better than them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Every time France play they go through the Evra routine.
    Same clips, same comments. It's their forte :pac:

Croatia couldn't even beat Portugal so they certainly can't claim to be better than them.

All opinions but I definitely would consider Croatia a better team than Portugal. But they really were below par that game. Sure going by that logic, Portugal couldnt beat Iceland, Hungary, so can they claim to be better than them!

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »

ok.... I'm not going down this road!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The highlights show on at half 10 seems largely pointless now, struggling to fit an hours worth of content into it, analysis of a game straight after an hours analysis from the live coverage is a bit much, even for the most devoted of football fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Kenny will definitely run over that dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

RTE coverage is pretty grim for this tournament.

The after show is shocking stop trying to shoe horn rte lifers into presenting these shows just to justify their wages.

Genuine talent never gets to jump the queue in RTE they have to play second fiddle to goons who have been there for years.

Eoin McDevitt should have had the show with Ken Early, actually they should have main show but we get peter Collins and darragh maloney who never challenge the 3 stooges. But RTE lifers who have "paid their dues" i.e been at rte for years and done feck all get priority. Such mediocrity.

Has anyone ever asked dunphy when he last actually attended a game? Surely your analysis is compromised by only being able to see what the tv is showing you. Stealing a living.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Hamilton and Beglin dressed like table cloths on RTE.

• Advertisement

Fu%K pre game analysis. Just play montages. ALWAYS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Filling time?

Paully D wrote: »

was hamilton there!!

When_the_Tallest_Man_in_the_Worl-12.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Paully D wrote: »

They reminded me of The Two Ronnies. Mostly because of the height difference I suppose!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭El Chapo

You're a miserable old sod aren't you?

In fairness, there hasnt been a good montage this tournament. A lot of wishy washy ott "trying to hard to go viral" tv montages (tht one before Sweden comes to mind).
    Still cant beat RTE, WC 2002 montage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭El Chapo

In fairness, there hasnt been a good montage this tournament. A lot of wishy washy ott "trying to hard to go viral" tv montages (tht one before Sweden comes to mind).
    A masterpiece. The music makes this so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

"Looks like the big toe area"

Big Jim Beglin

• Advertisement
Advertisement