Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - The TV Coverage

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Corholio wrote: »
    If it's talking about a particular level of football that someone has played in then in my opinion it does make you more qualified. The actual output from someone who has qualified to talk about it is always debatable but it doesn't lessen his more experience and qualification to actually do it.

I don't think it works that way. Does anyone raise an eyebrow when Richard Sadlier covers Premier League or Champions League football?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

CSF wrote: »
    I don't think it works that way. Does anyone raise an eyebrow when Richard Sadlier covers Premier League or Champions League football?

Kenny Cunningham, but I think that's involuntary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

From what I remember people commented on it at the time, I enjoy listening to his opinions but if Clarence Seedorf was announced to commentate beside him for the Champions League final I would say he is more qualified to talk about it, I don't think that's an unfair opinion? That doesn't mean someone shouldn't be there, simply that they are more qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Emma Byrne:confused: Tokenism gone too far unless shes a presenter then fair enough but otherwise? maybe im wrong, have never heard her on tv etc

Ye I mean sure half the population is women but none of them are intelligent enough to talk about "passion and spirit" and participate in 15 minutes discussions on he intricacies of officiating in football. Only Joey Barton, Martin Keown and others of their ilk have the mental capacities to contribute to such discussions. Perhaps Byrne can discuss which jerseys look the prettiest. You'd like that wouldn't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

wc 2104 I was on paternal leave, extended.:pac:

Ya dirty time traveller!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Plenty of managers who haven't played at the very top level, I hardly see it as a prerequisite for punditry.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

From what I remember people commented on it at the time, I enjoy listening to his opinions but if Clarence Seedorf was announced to commentate beside him for the Champions League final I would say he is more qualified to talk about it, I don't think that's an unfair opinion? That doesn't mean someone shouldn't be there, simply that they are more qualified.

It's a very narrow view of it, you don't have to have experienced something to be able to talk about it effectively in an engaging manner.

So much of the media would be out of a job if this was the case. People are looking for a person who know what they are talking about and communicate it well. I've no idea if this girl has either of these qualities but I've no issue finding out.

It's a very narrow view of it, you don't have to have experienced something to be able to talk about it effectively in an engaging manner.

So much of the media would be out of a job if this was the case. People are looking for a person who know what they are talking about and communicate it well. I've no idea if this girl has either of these qualities but I've no issue finding out.

I think you are misunderstanding my point. I didn't comment at all on the effectiveness of the pundit once there, just that taking a comparison of people that one person would be more qualified by virtue of experience to talk about a certain level of football. As I said earlier I don't have the slightest problem at all with her being there, it was just on the point that having an experience of said level should make you more qualified, how an individual uses that is vastly debatable of course.

I think you are misunderstanding my point. I didn't comment at all on the effectiveness of the pundit once there, just that taking a comparison of people that one person would be more qualified by virtue of experience to talk about a certain level of football. As I said earlier I don't have the slightest problem at all with her being there, it was just on the point that having an experience of said level should make you more qualified, how an individual uses that is vastly debatable of course.

I think having great knowledge of a topic makes you more qualified than having experienced something. For example I'd be more inclined to think a doctor was more qualified to speak about a condition than a patient, but we could go round and round in circles on this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

This talk about Byrne is interesting.
    I am happy with it and looking forward to her and all the pundits on every station, and to have a summer holiday watching footie for a month in my sitting room...

Anyway, she has countless caps for Ireland, and won trophies with Arsenal. Im sure she would be a pundit already but there is never any women's football on Irish tv.

She deserves a chance, and I'm %100 sure she is better than Henry.
    Also, I really liked Joanne Cantwell on the champions league recently, she was good. Not annoying like Chiles or Chamberlin.

I know some have said its token, and I personally dont care if there are more women on tv. But I do think there should be more women's sports on tv, which is a debate for the general sport forum, which I'll have to check out.

But nobody really wants to watch it regularly so that is why there is little womens sport on TV.If TV companies thought people wanted to watch womens sport we would be bombarded with it.

I think Emma Byrne was co -commentator with eurosport for their womens world cup coverage and she was simply horrific to listen to.Hopefully she's improved in the mean time.

Nothing wrong with having women pundits but hopefully TV companies don't put someone on screen if they are not actually good at the job just because they are a woman.They would do a hell of a lot more harm than good.
    Yeah tokenism is crap, but by the same bat, I hope she isn't judged more harshly than many of the male pundits who are able to continue while being crap without mass outrage over their inclusion.

Yeah tokenism is crap, but by the same bat, I hope she isn't judged more harshly than many of the male pundits who are able to continue while being crap without mass outrage over their inclusion.

Any criticism will be called "harsh" and be because she's a woman, despite the bile male pundits regularly get thrown at them.
    I don't know much about her and don't really care about a woman doing punditry, if they're good, they're good. Based on the BBC stuff at the world cup the level was a little worse than the men's, but the major issue was that it was boring and stupid things that were said were just irritating rather than the male pundits who are generally better at riling people up.

But hey, that's just me.

Any criticism will be called "harsh" and be because she's a woman, despite the bile male pundits regularly get thrown at them.
    I don't know much about her and don't really care about a woman doing punditry, if they're good, they're good. Based on the BBC stuff at the world cup the level was a little worse than the men's, but the major issue was that it was boring and stupid things that were said were just irritating rather than the male pundits who are generally better at riling people up.

But hey, that's just me.

Yeah that's true, what I mean that is when Michael Owen is crap it's not followed up with a 'he's only there because...' thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I would suspect that the problem with having female pundits in my opinion is that women are far too nice in general and won't be overly critical of what they see. That's basically what I've seen anytime there has been a female pundit on TV.

I suspect that they might lack the arrogance most former male players have and won't really want to seem to be criticizing them too harshly because of the probability of " what would you know you never played the game at close to their level" criticism that will most likely come their way from the public if they go overboard.

It makes no difference for women commenting as journalists or presenters as they will have the same level of experience as their peers but that is not quiet the case with their peers in the punditry circles as almost every single pundit is a former player.

Pundits exist to add supposed authority to the broadcast because they have been there and done it themselves to a degree, they are not on TV in any sport because of their ability as journalists or broadcasters.Male pundits will also have a bigger profile than female pundits as people will know who they are having followed the game, female pundits will never quiet have the same profile going into the job also.

I don't mind one bit how many female pundits there are and you don't have to played the game at close to the highest level to understand it (as numerous coaches have proved) and comment on it but I don't buy this idea that there should be female pundits and I perfectly understand why their have not been many up to now and probably not be many in the future either.

I'm probably going to get a load of flack for the above post but I would say what I have said is by and large true.

I would suspect that the problem with having female pundits in my opinion is that women are far too nice in general and won't be overly critical of what they see. That's basically what I've seen anytime there has been a female pundit on TV.

I suspect that they might lack the arrogance most former male players have and won't really want to seem to be criticizing them too harshly because of the probability of " what would you know you never played the game at close to their level" criticism that will most likely come their way from the public if they go overboard.

It makes no difference for women commenting as journalists or presenters as they will have the same level of experience as their peers but that is not quiet the case with their peers in the punditry circles as almost every single pundit is a former player.

Pundits exist to add supposed authority to the broadcast because they have been there and done it themselves to a degree, they are not on TV in any sport because of their ability as journalists or broadcasters.

I don't mind one bit how many female pundits there are and you don't have to played the game at close to the highest level to understand it (as numerous coaches have proved) and comment on it but I don't buy this idea that there should be female pundits and I perfectly understand why their have not been many up to now and probably not be many in the future either.

I'm probably going to get a load of flack for the above post but I would say what I have said is by and large true.
    I think most women are pretty different from each other. People come in all different varieties male or female. I've no idea what this girl is like but each case on its merits is the correct way.

• Advertisement

I think most women are pretty different from each other. People come in all different varieties male or female. I've no idea what this girl is like but each case on its merits is the correct way.

Your right but the problem I've seen with every single female pundit that's appeared on Sky or the BBC is they've all been far too nice and too deferential to the players they're commenting on.I'm suggesting that there might be a reason why it's more likely for this to be the case for female pundits than male pundits.As someone said earlier the punditry for the womens world cup last years was quiet bland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

enzo roco wrote: »
    She deserves a chance, and I'm %100 sure she is better than Henry.

A wig on a broom handle would be better than him.
    va va vrooom.
    Yeah that's true, what I mean that is when Michael Owen is crap it's not followed up with a 'he's only there because...' thing.

I'll finish that for ye.

... because ... he played for England
    Your right but the problem I've seen with every single female pundit that's appeared on Sky or the BBC is they've all been far too nice and too deferential to the players they're commenting on....

But isn't that a lot of the British coverage.
    Don't rock the boat attitude lest you offend someone.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

What's much more shocking than the idea of a woman on TV talking about football is that there are still people around who would be shocked by the idea of a woman on TV talking about football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

BT sport had a superb European football show but when they got champions league they shat all over that. This idea that you need to "play at the highest level" to offer insight in the form of
    mindnumbingly dumb analysis is the most annoying thing about televised sports coverage. To fck with gender or "top level" experience just be good at your job! Alas, that's a requirement that's just not necessary and this summer again we'll have repeated international stereotypes with a whole host players we'll be told by our "top level" experts that they know nothing about but this guy here he plays for a club we've seen we can just talk about him!

Turtwig wrote: »
    BT sport had a superb European football show but when they got champions league they shat all over that. This idea that you need to "play at the highest level" to offer insight in the form of
    mindnumbingly dumb analysis is the most annoying thing about televised sports coverage. To fck with gender or "top level" experience just be good at your job! Alas, that's a requirement that's just not necessary and this summer again we'll have repeated international stereotypes with a whole host players we'll be told by our "top level" experts that they know nothing about but this guy here he plays for a club we've seen we can just talk about him!

BT Sport are putting serious emphasis on the fact that their panel of "experts" for the champions league final on Saturday have won a bucket load of champions league winners medals between them all so clearly they must think ( and I would say with good reason) that these guys give their show more credibility in the eyes of the casual fan.The same applies to the European championships which will be watched by a lot of casual fans.

The BT Sport Euopean football Show was retained for champions league nights as the Goals show they had earlier in the competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Turtwig wrote: »
    BT sport had a superb European football show but when they got champions league they shat all over that.

Eh they still have it every Sunday and not an ex-pro in sight on it! Just James R and 3 European journalists! It's still exactly the same as pre-CL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

What's much more shocking than the idea of a woman on TV talking about football is that there are still people around who would be shocked by the idea of a woman on TV talking about football.

I was just about to post this. It's very true that football is behind the times in a lot of areas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

kfallon wrote: »
    Eh they still have it every Sunday and not an ex-pro in sight on it! Just James R and 3 European journalists! It's still exactly the same as pre-CL

My point was that they should have been given a shot at doing the main show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

BBC/ITV Fixture split.. (edit note nothing at all on utvIreland)

Friday 10 June
    20.00 (ITV) France v Romania

Saturday 11 June
    14.00 (BBC) Albania v Switzerland
    17.00 (BBC ) Wales v Slovakia
    20.00 (ITV) England v Russia

Sunday 12 June
    14.00 (ITV) Turkey v Croatia
    17.00 (BBC) Poland v Northern Ireland
    20.00 (BBC) Germany v Ukraine

Monday 13 June
    14.00 (ITV) Spain v Czech Republic
    17.00 (BBC) Republic of Ireland v Sweden
    20.00 (BBC) Belgium v Italy

Tuesday 14 June
    17.00 (ITV) Austria v Hungary
    20.00 (BBC) Portugal v Iceland

Wednesday 15 June
    14.00 (BBC) Russia v Slovakia
    17.00 (ITV) Romania v Switzerland
    20.00 (ITV) France v Albania

Thursday 16 June
    14.00 (BBC) England v Wales
    17.00 (ITV) Ukraine v Northern Ireland
    20.00 (ITV) Germany v Poland

Friday 17 June
    14.00 (ITV) Italy v Sweden
    17.00 (BBC) Czech Republic v Croatia
    20.00 (ITV) Spain v Turkey

Saturday 18 June
    14.00 (ITV) Belgium v Republic of Ireland
    17.00 (BBC) Iceland v Hungary
    20.00 (BBC) Portugal v Austria

Sunday 19 June
    20.00 (BBC) Romania v Albania
    20.00 (BBC) Switzerland v France

Monday 20 June
    20.00 (ITV) Russia v Wales
    20.00 (ITV) Slovakia v England

Tuesday 21 June
    17.00 (BBC) Northern Ireland v Germany
    17.00 (BBC) Ukraine v Poland
    20.00 (ITV) Croatia v Spain
    20.00 (ITV) Czech Republic v Turkey

Wednesday 22 June
    17.00 (BBC) Hungary v Portugal
    17.00 (BBC) Iceland v Austria
    20.00 (ITV) Italy v Republic of Ireland
    20.00 (ITV) Sweden v Belgium

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    That's what Annual Leave is for

Indeed. 2 weeks booked off for the first two weeks. As i did for the first 2 weeks of World Cup 2014. And boy that turned out to be a great decision

Jose Mourinho managing Porto, Chelsea (twice), Real Madrid, Inter Milan and Man United pretty much blows your argument out of the water.

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Jose Mourinho managing Porto, Chelsea (twice), Real Madrid, Inter Milan and Man United pretty much blows your argument out of the water.

Did you quote the wrong post??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

Hey, you, get out of here.
    Youre in the wrong thread. Get out I say

Indeed. 2 weeks booked off for the first two weeks. As i did for the first 2 weeks of World Cup 2014. And boy that turned out to be a great decision

Why would you book the second week off, seems a waste if its purely to watch tv football (and you are in a 9-5 work situation).

No 2pm kickoffs at all.
    Only the Tuesday and Wednesday have 5pm kickoffs.
    No games at all on the Thursday and Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Ian Wright to call Glenn Hoddle "gaffer" at least 400,000 times throughout the ITV coverage.

• Advertisement

Why would you book the second week off, seems a waste if its purely to watch tv football (and you are in a 9-5 work situation).

No 2pm kickoffs at all.
    Only the Tuesday and Wednesday have 5pm kickoffs.
    No games at all on the Thursday and Friday.

I get to take as much time off (within reason) as i like throughout the year. I took 35 days last year. Looking like it will be 28 days this year. So i dont feel as protective of the days.

Did you quote the wrong post??

No, i meant to quote yours.

Jose Mourinho has zero experience of playing top level football. This is i believe is the reason for your doubting this lady's ability to speak on the game over the next few weeks ie she hasnt played at this level so she is therefore unqualified to comment on games at that level.

Using your rationale Jose is unqualified to talk about Euro 2016 on TV3. Your rationale is ****e, basically.

enzo roco wrote: »
    Hey, you, get out of here.
    Youre in the wrong thread. Get out I say

I am picturing a Richard Hammond type :D

No, i meant to quote yours.

Jose Mourinho has zero experience of playing top level football. This is i believe is the reason for your doubting this lady's ability to speak on the game over the next few weeks ie she hasnt played at this level so she is therefore unqualified to comment on games at that level.

Using your rationale Jose is unqualified to talk about Euro 2016 on TV3. Your rationale is ****e, basically.

First while I take into account your interesting use of abusive language, I'll point you towards the fact that I didn't say any of what you dribbled on about. I never said she was unqualified, nor did I say that she shouldn't be commenting at games at that level. But anything to use the old 'this manager didn't play at a high level' line eh. Your reading of posts is four stars too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Just for convenience I've collated the UK and Irish TV coverage into one list:

Friday 10 June
    20.00 France v Romania (RTE, ITV)

Saturday 11 June
    14.00 Albania v Switzerland (RTE, BBC)
    17.00 Wales v Slovakia (RTE, BBC)
    20.00 England v Russia (TV3, ITV)

Sunday 12 June
    14.00 Turkey v Croatia (TV3, ITV)
    17.00 Poland v Northern Ireland (RTE, BBC)
    20.00 Germany v Ukraine (TV3, BBC)

Monday 13 June
    14.00 Spain v Czech Republic (TV3, ITV)
    17.00 Republic of Ireland v Sweden (RTE, BBC)
    20.00 Belgium v Italy (RTE, BBC)

Tuesday 14 June
    17.00 Austria v Hungary (TV3, ITV)
    20.00 Portugal v Iceland (RTE, BBC)

Wednesday 15 June
    14.00 Russia v Slovakia (RTE, BBC)
    17.00 Romania v Switzerland (TV3, ITV)
    20.00 France v Albania (TV3, ITV)

Thursday 16 June
    14.00 England v Wales (RTE, BBC)
    17.00 Ukraine v Northern Ireland (TV3, ITV)
    20.00 Germany v Poland (RTE, ITV)

Friday 17 June
    14.00 Italy v Sweden (RTE, ITV)
    17.00 Czech Republic v Croatia (RTE, BBC)
    20.00 Spain v Turkey (TV3, ITV)

Saturday 18 June
    14.00 Belgium v Republic of Ireland (RTE, ITV)
    17.00 Iceland v Hungary (TV3, BBC)
    20.00 Portugal v Austria (RTE, BBC)

Sunday 19 June
    20.00 Romania v Albania (TV3, BBC)
    20.00 Switzerland v France (RTE, BBC)

Monday 20 June
    20.00 Russia v Wales (RTE, ITV)
    20.00 Slovakia v England (TV3, ITV)

Tuesday 21 June
    17.00 Northern Ireland v Germany (RTE, BBC)
    17.00 Ukraine v Poland (TV3, BBC)
    20.00 Croatia v Spain (TV3, ITV)
    20.00 Czech Republic v Turkey (RTE, ITV)

Wednesday 22 June
    17.00 Hungary v Portugal (TV3, BBC)
    17.00 Iceland v Austria (RTE, BBC)
    20.00 Italy v Republic of Ireland (RTE, ITV)
    20.00 Sweden v Belgium (TV3, ITV)

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Just for convenience I've collated the UK and Irish TV coverage into one list:

Friday 10 June
    20.00 France v Romania (RTE, ITV)

Saturday 11 June
    14.00 Albania v Switzerland (RTE, BBC)
    17.00 Wales v Slovakia (RTE, BBC)
    20.00 England v Russia (TV3, ITV)

Sunday 12 June
    14.00 Turkey v Croatia (TV3, ITV)
    17.00 Poland v Northern Ireland (RTE, BBC)
    20.00 Germany v Ukraine (TV3, BBC)

Monday 13 June
    14.00 Spain v Czech Republic (TV3, ITV)
    17.00 Republic of Ireland v Sweden (RTE, BBC)
    20.00 Belgium v Italy (RTE, BBC)

Tuesday 14 June
    17.00 Austria v Hungary (TV3, ITV)
    20.00 Portugal v Iceland (RTE, BBC)

Wednesday 15 June
    14.00 Russia v Slovakia (RTE, BBC)
    17.00 Romania v Switzerland (TV3, ITV)
    20.00 France v Albania (TV3, ITV)

Thursday 16 June
    14.00 England v Wales (RTE, BBC)
    17.00 Ukraine v Northern Ireland (TV3, ITV)
    20.00 Germany v Poland (RTE, ITV)

Friday 17 June
    14.00 Italy v Sweden (RTE, ITV)
    17.00 Czech Republic v Croatia (RTE, BBC)
    20.00 Spain v Turkey (TV3, ITV)

Saturday 18 June
    14.00 Belgium v Republic of Ireland (RTE, ITV)
    17.00 Iceland v Hungary (TV3, BBC)
    20.00 Portugal v Austria (RTE, BBC)

Sunday 19 June
    20.00 Romania v Albania (TV3, BBC)
    20.00 Switzerland v France (RTE, BBC)

Monday 20 June
    20.00 Russia v Wales (RTE, ITV)
    20.00 Slovakia v England (TV3, ITV)

Tuesday 21 June
    17.00 Northern Ireland v Germany (RTE, BBC)
    17.00 Ukraine v Poland (TV3, BBC)
    20.00 Croatia v Spain (TV3, ITV)
    20.00 Czech Republic v Turkey (RTE, ITV)

Wednesday 22 June
    17.00 Hungary v Portugal (TV3, BBC)
    17.00 Iceland v Austria (RTE, BBC)
    20.00 Italy v Republic of Ireland (RTE, ITV)
    20.00 Sweden v Belgium (TV3, ITV)

Fair play, that's excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is Barton only on during the 3 England games, or is he doing others across the tournament?
    I heard on the radio, "he is doing analysis on the England games for TV3", but they didn't answer the rest of the question.

Sounds like he will be in the stadium and they will pop over for a couple of 1 minute interviews

First while I take into account your interesting use of abusive language, I'll point you towards the fact that I didn't say any of what you dribbled on about

No?
    one person would be more qualified by virtue of experience to talk about a certain level of football.

You didnt explicitly say she was unqualified but you did clearly allude to her not being qualified. I will let the prickliness of your message slide, i am calling you out for being sexist after all.

ricero wrote: »
    Shocked they didnt give stephanie roche a spot. Could of talked more about her goal

You see you probably thought you were being very funny there.
    But the punchline is that she has in fact got the nightly highlights programme.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/euro-2016/2016/0601/792547-rte-sport-reveals/

Studio.

Darragh Maloney will anchor RTÉ2’s live coverage, with Damien Duff joining a team of panellists which includes John Giles, Eamon Dunphy, Liam Brady, Richie Sadlier, and Didi Hamann.

Colour and main commentator.
    Ray Houghton, Ronnie Whelan, Brian Kerr and Jim Beglin are on commentary duty alongside George Hamilton, Ger Canning, Stephen Alkin and John Kenny.

Highlights show.
    Each evening RTÉ2 will have a full highlights programme presented by Jacqui Hurley and Aidan Power, with panellists including former Ireland internationals Kenny Cunningham and Clinton Morrison, and current Irish women’s internationals Stephanie Roche and Niamh Fahey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

We are going to see how dunphy is going to call duff an irish legend (which he is) like he always does with brady and giles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Colour and main commentator.

Ray Houghton, Ronnie Whelan, Brian Kerr and Jim Beglin are on commentary duty alongside George Hamilton, Ger Canning, Stephen Alkin and John Kenny.

Eh? Is there some other folks covering it in Black and White? Jimmy Magee perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

gucci wrote: »
    Eh? Is there some other folks covering it in Black and White? Jimmy Magee perhaps?

How is this supposed to be even remotely funny?

No?

You didnt explicitly say she was unqualified but you did clearly allude to her not being qualified. I will let the prickliness of your message slide, i am calling you out for being sexist after all.

Nope. Not even close. Never alluded to it at all. Nice of you to omit the first part of the sentence where I clearly said it was a comparison of people, i.e. Owen, from the original discussion. Prickliness would denote an effort of caring, but that stopped when you said someone's rationale was '****e'. 'Sexist' is a six letter word, not sure you're reading skills have got that far to be honest. I'm not even remotely saying what you think I'm saying and you'd know that if you read the discussion for context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

gucci wrote: »

Yes, the person that paints the picture after the commentator draws the outline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

callaway92 wrote: »
    How is this supposed to be even remotely funny?

No my black and white tv isnt remotely controlled, I have to walk up to it and press the buttons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Needs more Kerr. He's the greatest.

No one co commentates like Brian Kerr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Kerr is a legend for sure.

Commentating on a slow-mo reply of a goalie cleaning someone out at a corner during the last World Cup: "if you're going to come, come hard".

Kerr is also a guy that seems to do a lot of research as well. He'll be talking about an Albanian defender who had made 14 U-21 appearances before his international debut and that he drove to the match in an Opel Corsa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Highlights show.
    Each evening RTÉ2 will have a full highlights programme presented by Jacqui Hurley and Aidan Power, with panellists including former Ireland internationals Kenny Cunningham and Clinton Morrison, and current Irish women’s internationals Stephanie Roche and Niamh Fahey.

Does every TV station have to have a woman panelist for this competition? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

kfallon wrote: »
    Does every TV station have to have a woman panelist for this competition? :confused:
    They've been slowly introducing women panellists to sports coverage for a while now, which is no harm regardless of the motives behind it. Richard Sadler never played at the highest level of the game but he can still give reasonable analysis while some former pros are awful or just stale at this point.

So bring on the ladies and let’s hear a fresh perspective on things. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement