Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - The TV Coverage

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Corholio wrote: »
    Nope. Not even close. Never alluded to it at all. Nice of you to omit the first part of the sentence where I clearly said it was a comparison of people, i.e. Owen, from the original discussion. Prickliness would denote an effort of caring, but that stopped when you said someone's rationale was '****e'. 'Sexist' is a six letter word, not sure you're reading skills have got that far to be honest. I'm not even remotely saying what you think I'm saying and you'd know that if you read the discussion for context.

I quoted you saying it and you deny saying it. Ok, as you were

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Great to have Kerr back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Peist2007 wrote: »
    I quoted you saying it and you deny saying it. Ok, as you were

I didn't deny saying it, I said you omitted half the quote. You even said I didn't say it, I'll actually put the full quote too. Now as you were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

kfallon wrote: »
    Does every TV station have to have a woman panelist for this competition? :confused:

I'd be more worried about Stephen Alkin still having a job than them daring to go for someone of another gender tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

CSF wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about Stephen Alkin still having a job than them daring to go for someone of another gender tbh.

Job for life there, wasn't he head of sport for years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

kfallon wrote: »
    Job for life there, wasn't he head of sport for years?

No idea, but his commentary work/voice in general is unbearable.

CSF wrote: »
    No idea, but his commentary work/voice in general is unbearable.

He's just the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

RTÉ HAS REVEALED who will be on the studio panel and in the commentary box for each of its Euro 2016 games, with the broadcaster’s coverage beginning tomorrow evening.

It’s little surprise Montrose chiefs have decided to keep the ‘holy trinity’ of John ‘senior analyst’ Giles, Liam Brady and Eamon Dunphy together for each of Ireland’s three group games with Darragh Maloney fronting the coverage.
    http://www.the42.ie/rte-euro-2016-panel-and-pundit-line-up-2814264-Jun2016/?utm_source=twitter_self

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Stephen Alkin and Peter whatshisname mean instant channel change for me, during Euro's/WC. Alkin's voice just doesn't work for 90 mins of commentary, and Peter sounds like he doesn't even watch much football...he a bit of an RTE sports version of Pat Kenny, very wooden.

I even prefer Trev Welch over those guys.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

KungPao wrote: »
    Stephen Alkin and Peter whatshisname mean instant channel change for me, during Euro's/WC. Alkin's voice just doesn't work for 90 mins of commentary, and Peter sounds like he doesn't even watch much football...he a bit of an RTE sports version of Pat Kenny, very wooden.

I even prefer Trev Welch over those guys.

RTE took the Ryan Tubridy model off the conveyor belt and injected it with sport. What we get is Peter Collins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Stephen Alkin can grind you down over ninety minutes.

I still think he's better than Dave McIntyre from TV3. He's got a bit of a case of the MICHAEL MOCKMULLENs about him and tends to get far too excited about the little things. Like when it looks like a player is about to take a shot on. Dave's voice will suddenly shoot up in decibel and excitement levels.... And then a tackle or block will come in before the attacker has even got round to doing what it was that he had in mind to do.... Dave just got worked up about nothing again. He shouts and raves like a miner who has been conducting subterranean explosions all day without any ear protection. THE PITCH IS IN PRISTINE CONDITION. THE BALL FEATURES A THERMALLY BONDED SEAMLESS SURFACE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

jaykay74 wrote: »

1 mention of Brian Kerr, Albania v Switzerland.

Gway and ****e RTE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

1 mention of Brian Kerr, Albania v Switzerland.

Gway and ****e RTE

It's a must watch, so.

I love RTE at these tournaments. All of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Watching Sky Sports News just seen the most confused Northern Ireland fan, wearing a leprechaun outfit full of Shamrocks but sewed on Northern Ireland flags just to pin his colours they must of have been getting upset with the Sky reporter calling them Irish

Stephen Alkin is woeful but my most hated commentator is Jonathan Pearce on BBC. Absolutely dreadful.

Just hope as well Jon Champion dosen't show up on any channel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Jasus this extra time show on tv3 is scutter

Dunphy and Brady at their dour best right from the off.

Damn right it's going to be a negative tournament. Especially with the two of those involved!

Arghus wrote: »
    Dunphy and Brady at their dour best right from the off.

Damn right it's going to be a negative tournament. Especially with the two of those involved!

It's great isn't it?

• Advertisement

GreNoLi wrote: »
    It's great isn't it?

Ah yes.

George talking about the "exceedingly friendly" security.

The snap of the rubber gloves which feels like a warm embrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

ITV are typically awful, they've gone looking for local colour with some shouty French tennis player. If it starts to rain the panel are going to get very wet by the looks of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Do the lads in the studio criticizing the expansion of the tournament not see the irony when they say it's full of teams that wouldn't normally be there and/or aren't deserving of a place? Some of these teams placed higher in their groups than Ireland did and conceded less goals etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Lee Dixon is pretty good on ITV. I've been listening to him all season on American TV. He doesn't take himself or the game too seriously.

Do the lads in the studio criticizing the expansion of the tournament not see the irony when they say it's full of teams that wouldn't normally be there and/or aren't deserving of a place? Some of these teams placed higher in their groups than Ireland did and conceded less goals etc.

Irony free zone. They even said that it was great that we were there because of the bigger tournament. And then preceded to give out the tournament being bigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

George is only talking for a few seconds and he ends up using the word 'explosion' in a sentence! *Facepalm*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

I doubt they even realise that they get more work out of this due to the greater number of games.

Lee Dixon is pretty good on ITV. I've been listening to him all season on American TV. He doesn't take himself or the game too seriously.

Always thought he was a cut above the other pundits when he was on MOTD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

Can the two RTE commentators just shut up? They are not funny or insightful.

How thrilling. David Guetta. A lad standing at a desk.

A lot to be said for some drugged out maniac setting his instrument on fire and blowing up his amp. That'd get the crowd going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Is it the Euro finals or is it 1 O'Clock in the morning at a wedding reception?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

What is she saying?

Enjoyed his commentary on nbc this season.

David Guetta has a bit of an Alan Shearar celebrating a goal vibe going on: one hand in the air looking for acclaim of the crowd.

The Romanian national anthem sounds like the music from Mr. Bean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

He's an absolute natural in front of the camera. It's quite something. I've never seen him flustered.

The front of the desk in the RTE studio looks like wallpaper I had when I was a kid.

George Hamilton was dreadful tonight. Kept getting Kante, Evra and Matuidi mixed up through out the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The German is carrying the old boys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

The German is carrying the old boys

RTE needs a clear out.
    Brady looks like someone opened the Arc of the Covenant.

Surprisingly humorous Apres Match. Takin' the piss out of TV3, they always strike gold with that. There's just something so cringey about TV3 and their weird mix of attempted slickness, mixed with unmistakable Irish half-arsedness. The Apres fellas tend to nail it.

• Advertisement

George Hamilton was dreadful tonight. Kept getting Kante, Evra and Matuidi mixed up through out the match.

I love him. These tournaments wouldn't be the same without him.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I love him. These tournaments wouldn't be the same without him.

Maybe identifying some of the players would be a reasonable expectation though.

Maybe identifying some of the players would be a reasonable expectation though.

Fair enough. But when he gets them. Ooh, the pronunciation is top notch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Eamonn had a good 'baby' one-liner, missed exactly what he said.

Was it just me or was there a severe lack of hotties being shown? Surprised at the French!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

RTÉ haven't got the whole lights cause reflections thing with their "new technology" ... You can hardly see the touch screen :)

Sky Sports they are not...

irishfeen wrote: »

Thanks be to Jesus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Nice to know Aidan Power is still alive. Jacqui Hurley still not so good at the old broadcasting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

This is cringe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

irishfeen wrote: »

Good, the last thing we need is a team of yes men.

• Advertisement

Deadly. Irish fans talking rubbish.

Ole! More drink!

Advertisement