Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - The TV Coverage

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I'd love to see one of the stations move away from current/ex-footballers. There's a vast amount of people on the internet who understand and talk football every day who release articles and do analysis who could give us a far more technical insight in to the game. You don't necessarily have to have played the game to understand and talk about it.

Agree completely with you. I can think of loads who are far more articulate and thoughtful when speaking about football then what we had to listen to on TV3.. it's often a perception that unless you have been there and done it you don't have any authority on it but look at Jose Mourinho.. never got payed much for kicking a football and had a small time career and the success he has enjoyed as a manager.. football isn't that complicated a game to be honest and there is way more articulate insightful stuff spoken on these boards then on the TV3 panel...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ray Houghton, while watching a slow-mo reply of a Polish defender's hand inadvertently brushing the genitals of some Norn Iron fella:

"This is a better area now."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

How are TV3 claiming their coverage is HD?
    The picture quality is appalling!

Tinie wrote: »
    This isn't true. Who told you this?

1080i is not the exact same as 720p.

Obviously its not technically exactly the same but to the human eye the two resolutions on a 50 inch tv will not be noticeable.

Its a moot point anyway because I think every hd broadcast in europe is native 1080i anyway, which is vastly different to 1080p which was the original point.
    How are TV3 claiming their coverage is HD?
    The picture quality is appalling!

What platform are you watching it on? On UPC it is a good quality bitrate HD, better than RTE's arguably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    Duff was excellent yesterday. Hope we get more of him on RTE

Yeah, Duff better than I expected. Keith Andrews on TV3 is horrific. Himself and Trevor Welch the commentary team from hell. Welch is even worse than Jonathon Pearce on the BBC, and that's saying something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Obviously its not technically exactly the same but to the human eye the two resolutions on a 50 inch tv will not be noticeable.

Its a moot point anyway because I think every hd broadcast in europe is native 1080i anyway, which is vastly different to 1080p which was the original point.

What platform are you watching it on? On UPC it is a good quality bitrate HD, better than RTE's arguably.

UPC/Virgin Media whatever they are calling themselves these days.

Horizon box

UPC/Virgin Media whatever they are calling themselves these days.

Horizon box

Wierd,same provider but I dont have the horizon box just a regular hd box and the quality is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

The difference between 1080p and 1080i is that one is progressive and the other is interlaced. The P has 25 frames per second and the I has 25x2 interlaced frames per second. you would be unlikely to see any difference between them. 720 has far less resolution and this would be noticeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

720 is generally what you get on DVD.
    1080i is what all the broadcasters send out as HD.
    1080p is blu-Ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Tony O Donoghue just referred to the Stade de France as "the scene of the crime" muppet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Tony O Donoghue just referred to the Stade de France as "the scene of the crime" muppet.

But it was ?

Last time Ireland played there, it was the most controversialial incident in Irish football (On the pitch, before Saipan gets mentioned.)

Don't see the problem in what he said but it has nothing to do with tomorrow's match.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

He said he was standing near the box where Henry handled the ball so that's the crime he was on about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

I fear that it's trevor and Keith tonight for Germany vs Ukraine

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Are TV3 using Sexy Boy by Air as background music?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Vincent kompany has some massive head.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 roykO

I hate TV3. They are by the far the worst and I imagine people only tune as they don't have ITV.

Today's panel were utterly pathetic. Tokenism.

Souness lays it out straight. This Group is a big ask for these Ireland players. He is right, it's a limited squad and not vastly superior to his own Scotland. But a top notch manager this time who isn't past it.

roykO wrote: »
    I hate TV3. They are by the far the worst and I imagine people only tune as they don't have ITV.

What do you mean were? They are on now.

What's wrong with Souness?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

I fear that it's trevor and Keith tonight for Germany vs Ukraine

Trevor " gets his cross away" Welch.

roykO wrote: »

Last night's panel or tonight's panel and the Martin Tyler commentary is not a bad combo. If this was euro 2000 and knew no better than standard definition broadcast.

Patww79 wrote: »

Media didn't go on about it now it was just mentioned briefly as he was reporting from the stadium and then he moved on. No biggie.

Trevor " gets his cross away" Welch.

Trevor "Custard Creams" Welsh surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

ERG89 wrote: »
    Trevor "Custard Creams" Welsh surely?

The amount of times he says " gets his cross away " is unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

What's with Keith Andrews random shouting, anyone know?

• Advertisement

The difference between 1080p and 1080i is that one is progressive and the other is interlaced. The P has 25 frames per second and the I has 25x2 interlaced frames per second. you would be unlikely to see any difference between them. 720 has far less resolution and this would be noticeable.

And so does 1080i, interlaced i.e half the resolution. 1080i and 720p real life quality wise are far closer than 1080i is to 1080p.

And so does 1080i, interlaced i.e half the resolution. 1080i and 720p real life quality wise are far closer than 1080i is to 1080p.

I have been switching between TV3 HD and BBC 1 HD via Sky HD box and I genuinely see no difference in the picture.

I do not get what people are complaining about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

What's with Keith Andrews random shouting, anyone know?

In fairness he's a breath of fresh air....in the same way Hurricane Katrina was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's raining in the BBC Studio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Can I mention bleedin ads in here?

Like that one with yer one and her baby who are normally thinking about holidays, but now are crassly and lazily thinking about sport?

Poxy ad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

murpho999 wrote: »
    I have been switching between TV3 HD and BBC 1 HD via Sky HD box and I genuinely see no difference in the picture.

I do not get what people are complaining about.

Maybe they're watching tv3 on saorview? It's SD on saorview, HD on sky.

The amount of ads on TV 3 is shocking. 30 seconds analysis and ads both side. Just like the rugby world cup. Awful.

Keith Andrews sounds like the type of guy who'd put a cigarette out in your eye, no bother at all.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

The amount of ads on TV 3 is shocking. 30 seconds analysis and ads both side. Just like the rugby world cup. Awful.

...and we'll be back with the second half of the Angelus after this break.

Some vaguely Freudian mispronunciations from the TV3 boyos:

"Girthze"

"Yucky Love"

Bloody hell, Stephen Hunt has aged badly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Jaysus, Stephen Hunt is looking old on RTE there now. Grey as a badger.

Jesus Christ!

Stephen Hunt is unrecognisable!

Is that a badger on his head?

Snap!!!

What happened Stephen Hunt's hair?
    Jaysus :eek:

• Advertisement

I had literally no idea who he was until they said his name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Ah TV Gold!

Ha "Ya effin muppet" in the background during the interview!

:D Jaysus yer man took some tumble off the stool.

Your man gave him a fake punch. Think they are taking the piss out of the auld hooligans.

Your man gave him a fake punch. Think they are taking the piss out of the auld hooligans.

Yea, just rewatched it, the lads definitely staged it to make a scene.

My favourite part is that RTE just laugh about it and don't apologise for 'choice language' like you'd see on other stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

Ha, it was so loud, He should do an Eamon Dunphy.
    "I would like to apologize for that inexactitude"

Ha "Ya effin muppet" in the background during the interview!

That was fantastic!

Does anyone else really like the RTE highlights show?

• Advertisement

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Does anyone else really like the RTE highlights show?

It's alright, no doubt people will criticise it as it's on RTE.

They show highlights, do a Sky Sports big screen analysis and then preview the next games. What's wrong with it?

Advertisement