Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - The TV Coverage

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

JoeA3 wrote: »
    (Paraphrasing....)

Tommy Martin: Shane, what does Martin O'Neill do on Saturday now that Walters is likely to miss out?

McShane: Errrr I dunno.

Quality foresight and analysis :pac:

If it wasn't for Tommy Martin, TV3 would be dead in the water with their football coverage. He deserves a pay rise for keeping that circus on the road!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Am I alone in finding RTE's persistence in showing 'Points' in the fist column to be very confusing and annoying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Mark Kinsella makes me think of a woodland animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Stephanie roche still living off her goal i see. Pathetic from rte

Turns out the dog don know nuffink about the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Arghus wrote: »
    Mark Kinsella makes me think of a woodland animal.

He's the slimmed down version of former health minister James O'Reilly...

Dr-James-Reilly-7.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Well that's next generation panel Sadlier, Hunt & Duff for the next 30 years :(

Sadlier and Duff are pretty good I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

I dunno about ye but I love the sports coverage on RTE with Dunphy and so on. I don't always agree with but it's entertaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Watching in Germany on German TV.

I'd even take...shudder...ITV at this stage.

It's annoying when they do the evening news at half time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

lertsnim wrote: »
    It's annoying when they do the evening news at half time.

Not as annoying as realising afterwards both bbc & itv are in the hotel room telly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

whats with all these foreign guys on UK tv??

its all very well having these big name stars but if their command of the english language isn't up to scratch whats the point in having them on doing analysis??

watching the likes of Louis Saha and Luther Mattheas was cringeworthy as they struggle for words, i can't make out what they're saying anyway with their strong accents :confused:

anyone agree??

fryup wrote: »

its all very well having these big name stars but if their command of the english language isn't up to scratch whats the point in having them on doing analysis??

watching the likes of Louis Saha and Luther Mattheas was cringeworthy as they struggle for words, i can't make out what they're saying anyway with their strong accents :confused:

anyone agree??

I know what you mean.

Some lad on RTE the other night. Didn't recognise him, hadn't a clue what he was saying.

Turned out it was Stephen Hunt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 El Reich

fryup wrote: »

anyone agree??

It's not a bad idea having one added to the mix but they had 3 on together yesterday, 2 of were so incredibly dull I couldn't follow a word they were saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Jaysus just saw the advert on BBC for the England vs Wales game tomorrow. They might be getting a legal letter from the Game of Thrones lads over that ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Daragh Maloney should never question anyone else when it comes to ability to do a job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

When discussing Russian fans antics last night Jacqui Hurley goes 'And they even brought a flare into the stadium the other night, it's just not on'

Somebody could have been killed !

By the savage fighting though, not the flare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,393 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Keith Andrews' hair though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Ger looks like he's making his communion on TV3

TV3 put up a table of England's group with both them and Russia on zero points having played one game each. Quite incredible!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Joe Molloy? WTF?

Joe Molloy looking like a cross between an eight year old playing dress up and a eighty year old man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

Anyone find Souness very annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

"One clean sheet in their last six games. That was against Scotland, by the way. It wasn't too hard."

Brave man, saying that to Souness!

that stadium in Marseille is what Lansdowne Road would have looked like if they finished it

Mec27 wrote: »
    One of the best pundits out there, easily. Compare him to the likes of Savage, Dixon, Ferdinand, Hoddle, etc etc. Souness and Bilic have been the two stand out fellas so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Yes. Very.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

I think he talks so much ****e, talking about Martial, he's like Man United officials would highl rate this guy, you ****ing think Graham? Geeez, I didn't know, I suppose they spent 35 million on him for a laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 roykO

I think he talks so much ****e, talking about Martial, he's like Man United officials would highl rate this guy, you ****ing think Graham? Geeez, I didn't know, I suppose they spent 35 million on him for a laugh.

He also said people in the game he's spoken to speak highly of him. Not just Man Utd.

I think he's decent. Not amazing or anything. I like he speaks his mind.

I was impressed with Duff today. First time I've really seen him. Seems to watch a lot of football too, unlike some.

I'd love to know what dirt Hoddle has on sport producers at various TV companies. How the bloke keeps getting pundit/co-commentator gigs is a mystery to me. The guy is boring beyond belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

The commentator on Tv3 starts growling when he gets excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Nah, I like Souness. His spats on RTE with Dunphy used to be quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

trashcan wrote: »
    Nah, I like Souness. His spats on RTE with Dunphy used to be quality.

Ya it used good craic,I dont think Souness lasted much longer after this run in with the lads

https://youtu.be/5Fvsg_Ct1cw?t=93

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Were Tv3 using a Sky Sports commentary team earlier today?

A generic Uefa feed but yeah it was Martin Tyler of Sky Sports commentating. He's head and shoulders above our lot, Brian Kerr excepted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

flazio wrote: »
    Were Tv3 using a Sky Sports commentary team earlier today?

Martin Tyler/Alan Smith. Not the first time they've been on TV3, They are regulars on Sky alright. Not sure what the deal is there. Sky not covering the tournament and TV3 are hardly employing them. Not sure who they are working for.

PS - This McIntyre guy doing the France match at the mo is quite good. Not annoying to listen to, which is all I ask really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

trashcan wrote: »
    Martin Tyler/Alan Smith. Not the first time they've been on TV3, They are regulars on Sky alright. Not sure what the deal is there. Sky not covering the tournament and TV3 are hardly employing them. Not sure who they are working for.

PS - This McIntyre guy doing the France match at the mo is quite good. Not annoying to listen to, which is all I ask really.

Tyler/Smith are doing the UEFA world feed. Broadcasters can use that if they want.

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »
    Joe Molloy looking like a cross between an eight year old playing dress up and a eighty year old man.

Could've sworn I heard an ad on Newstalk earlier along the lines of join Joe and Kirstin with Joey Barton for a look at the lighter side of Euro 2016.

Did i imagine that? Bit of a crappy thing to imagine if i did.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Could've sworn I heard an ad on Newstalk earlier along the lines of join Joe and Kirstin with Joey Barton for a look at the lighter side of Euro 2016.

Did i imagine that? Bit of a crappy thing to imagine if i did.

Seen an ad for it there,mentioned noting about Joey Barton though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

Surprised the second captains lads didn't get this highlights show gig.

Would have been far more entertaining and I'm not even a big fan. Jackie Hurley and Aidan Power are sound people and good at what they do but it's not hosting a football show.

If Damien Duff gets to jump the queue (which is usually a no no in rte) then surely rte can get hosts who are more than just rte lifers.

The second captains lads never seemed to be allowed speak about the weeks football either when they were on with their rte tv, followed champions league games if I recall yet bizarrely never mentioned the game that was on before them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,780 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

price690 wrote: »

Would have been far more entertaining and I'm not even a big fan. Jackie Hurley and Aidan Power are sound people and good at what they do but it's not hosting a football show.

If Damien Duff gets to jump the queue (which is usually a no no in rte) then surely rte can get hosts who are more than just rte lifers.

The second captains lads never seemed to be allowed speak about the weeks football either when they were on with their rte tv, followed champions league games if I recall yet bizarrely never mentioned the game that was on before them.

Ken Early is over in France with the Irish Times, so maybe they weren't available. Still though, McDevitt as a lone host instead of Power and Hurley and that highlights show would be a totally different animal.

price690 wrote: »

Yeah pity the Second Captains couldn't have been lined up as Aiden Power and Jacqui Hurley are very stiff and wooden. Power knows nothing about football as came across the other night when he asked a question about Iniesta 'hoofing' the ball into the box for Spain's goal. I think Hurley is a sports fan but more GAA than football. Both of them are fine doing small slots to camera but for a show about football highlights they're not asking any questions that might gain some insight from the ex-footballer panel opposite them. I'm glad there's a highlights show on but lets face it, great it ain't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Really impressed with Duffer on the panel...knows his stuff. AFAIK he's doing UEFA B or A at moment so he's in that analytical frame of mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Mars Bar wrote: »
    You should see his Twitter account. Picking fights with everyone!
    His betting tips are hilarious too, Real Madrid vs the Dog and Duck XI in the Champions League group stage ... at home. Smyth will predict a Madrid win.
    Then tweets afterwards "Madrid win, just as I predicted". While technically correct, it's not exactly beating the bookie.

He then goes off on one for any tweets pointing out the above.

Jim Beglin during the England-Wales game:

"Smalling does well there to win the tussle... the phsyical tussle"

Are there many other types of tussle going on at a corner? Mind games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Jim Beglin... "Kane is not Abel"

:rolleyes:Jim Beglin again, right after Harry Kane skies a free kick outside the box "Kane wasn't able"

In fairness he did apologise immediately, but still :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

Muahahaha wrote: »
    :rolleyes:Jim Beglin again, right after Harry Kane skies a free kick outside the box "Kane wasn't able"

In fairness he did apologise immediately, but still :rolleyes:

If Brian Kerr said it then it's genius

• Advertisement
Advertisement