Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - The TV Coverage

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I don't get it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

SantryRed wrote: »
    I don't get it?

As in Cain and Abel from the bible, cheesey stuff altogether haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Is it possible to get ITV/UTV in HD through manually adding channels on Sky anymore?

Never mind, found it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

SantryRed wrote: »
    I don't get it?

Heathen :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

Lawrie Sanchez looks like a failed magician or bad hypnotist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I will say it now the best pundit ever is Bilic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

John Giles not even watching full matches. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

John Giles not even watching full matches. Fair play.

I'd love if he said it was on Rte three. :p
    Tbf I didn't watch either second halves as the first halves were so dull I made tea to stay awake. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Giles is outdated, old and diddery. Send him out to pasture. No real clue anymore.

Giles is finished with RTE after the tournament I can't see him being on tv again unless TV3 offer him something but they won't have much football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I wish RTE would use the UEFA feed for matches,could have Martin Tyler instead of Ger "Toni Crows" Canning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Giles is outdated, old and diddery. Send him out to pasture. No real clue anymore.

He openly admits he does no or very little research on players before games. He's like the anti Brian Kerr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I wish RTE would use the UEFA feed for matches,could have Martin Tyler instead of Ger "Toni Crows" Canning

That is the correct pronunciation.

Ah yes, the deeply unwelcome Ger Canning. Literally every other commentator RTE have is better. Bring back Jimmy Magee even, for Chrissakes. (Actually I used to quite like oul Jimmy.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

He's pronouncing it almost right, and all the others who call him Tony Cruise are just wrong.

Sounded like he just said "Yucky Love" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

trashcan wrote: »
    Ah yes, the deeply unwelcome Ger Canning. Literally every other commentator RTE have is better. Bring back Jimmy Magee even, for Chrissakes. (Actually I used to quite like oul Jimmy.)

You've reminded me of one of my favourite posts on this forum (from the poster gogglebok):

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56246935&postcount=72

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

trashcan wrote: »

Jimmy would have some info about a players great great great grandfather who played in goals for Hertha Berlin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

Look of absolute disdain from Giles when anyone else is talking is gas.

He completely disagreed with Didi about his point about Rooney in midfield today v Wales despite facthe Giles admitted he didn't even watch the game.

I'd say he doesn't rate the next batch of "experts" to fill his seat at RTE. Giles is immediately suspicious of anyone who knows their sh*t. And the fact his ould pal eamo likes didi only riles him more

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Didi fairly cutting of the German team, I wonder would the pundits on German telly be that scathing or would they have the 'Everything's still fine' approach that the English channels have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I've watched a good bit of the coverage on itv as tv3 don't have HD and some of the rte crowd are poor - Ronnie Whelan and Mark Lawrenson are impossible to listen to, constantly negative. Sadlier likes to think his opinion is important. Hamann is the only decent pundit they have. He is easy to listen to, knowledgeable without being an ass.

Wright, Bilic and Karembeu were a great combination the other night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

TV3 do have HD but some of the 'experts' are dreadful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Germany have no leaders and won't go far.....Poland will be happy with the result but were dreadful........I was just waiting for one of them to say: "They've all got horrible bottoms"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    TV3 do have HD but some of the 'experts' are dreadful.

Not on saorview. They must be losing a lot of viewers because of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Kenny Cunningham is a champions league level smack talker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Didi fairly cutting of the German team, I wonder would the pundits on German telly be that scathing or would they have the 'Everything's still fine' approach that the English channels have.

On balance England have played better than Germany I'd say. Wouldn't mind seeing the two meet but for the trouble it'll cause!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Green Fella

Grandeeod wrote: »

Giles was pathetic. I swear he said he didnt even watch much of the Northern Ireland match, but he then proceeded to **** on one of their greatest performances of all time, saying they were no better than vs Poland, were very scrapey and not up to much. Why did he even comment if he didnt watch it, disregarding the nonsense he said? Really he shouldnt be there anymore. Nostalgia and memory lane taking over , he has been long out of touch.

ITV win the pundit awards this year for me with Bilic & Matthaus both are fantastic.

Souness and Barton on TV3. Jesus wept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Barton is actually too good for TV3 (even if he can be a horrid person).

• Advertisement

Barton is actually too good for TV3 (even if he can be a horrid person).

Ah, can't stand either of them. Pair o' bowsies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Watching Peter Collins present reminds just how much I miss Bill :(

An argument could be made that he is more 'professional' in his demeanor and questions to the panel, as opposed to O'Herlihy's playing the dummy troll act, but i generally find him to be somewhat plastic and rigid in how he interacts and devoid of any real personality.

I find his speaking tone seems overly forced and 'showbiz'-y too, if that makes sense.

Watching Peter Collins present reminds just how much I miss Bill :(

An argument could be made that he is more 'professional' in his demeanor and questions to the panel, as opposed to O'Herlihy's playing the dummy troll act, but i generally find him to be somewhat plastic and rigid in how he interacts and devoid of any real personality.

I find his speaking tone seems overly forced and 'showbiz'-y too, if that makes sense.

I find him improving him and Maloney at least are light hearted throwing in a few jokes etc lets be honest they have a tough job to live up to. The highlights show though nah not for me. Bit of a weird poor mans soccer Am vibe, although I'd not bother watching the highlights show anyway even if it was great.

I've enjoyed Maloney this time. I think he's more relaxed now in the role. I do, however, want him to be brave and call out some of the nonsense opinions that are regularly spouted. I'd also like Joanne Cantwell to have the spot Peter Collins has, and stick Peter back on commentary.

Sometimes you have to hand it to Tony O' Donaghue; no better man for asking the passive aggressive question in a press conference. Just caught glimpse of him putting Courtois under the microscope there, regarding rumours of tensions in the camp.

He must have been sent over to France with the express purpose of sowing dischord in the opposing camps: I'm surprised he's allowed in to be honest! If we get a result tomorrow, I'll give some thanks to Tony.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That RTE highlights show is showing more of the "mad" Irish fans, can't they just show highlights of the games I missed earlier.

Watch Dara O' Brian's head the next time he's delivering a piece to camera - he swings it around like a man on yokes.

A tad too much of the "aren't we great" tonight on RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Hope Kerr gets more commentary duty in the coming games, need my fix.

Arghus wrote: »
    Sometimes you have to hand it to Tony O' Donaghue; no better man for asking the passive aggressive question in a press conference. Just caught glimpse of him putting Courtois under the microscope there, regarding rumours of tensions in the camp.

He must have been sent over to France with the express purpose of sowing dischord in the opposing camps: I'm surprised he's allowed in to be honest! If we get a result tomorrow, I'll give some thanks to Tony.

I normally can't stand his style of questioning when it's towards an Irish manager but if it's against opposition managers then his powers of annoyance can come in handy.

I bet he would have ambled up to Wilmots if he could. 'Heard they were slagging you off, Marc...'

I normally can't stand his style of questioning when it's towards an Irish manager but if it's against opposition managers then his powers of annoyance can come in handy.

I bet he would have ambled up to Wilmots if he could. 'Heard they were slagging you off, Marc...'

I found it hillarious.

His motivations were so transparent. He wasn't asking those questions to anyone in the opposition set-up out of a burning journalististic urge to uncover the truth: He just wanted to do his bit to help expediate an onfield implosion between the Belgians, for the good of Ireland. And to perhaps extend his own stay in France.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Of all games to get Tony Pulis to co-commentate on, it's not a one-sided Spain game that springs to mind...

It also took him about one minute to talk about how disappointed he was in how poor set-pieces have been in the tournament:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I've enjoyed Maloney this time. I think he's more relaxed now in the role. I do, however, want him to be brave and call out some of the nonsense opinions that are regularly spouted. I'd also like Joanne Cantwell to have the spot Peter Collins has, and stick Peter back on commentary.

I prefer Maloney on commentary. Find him a bit bland as anchor. He doesn't throw in the same hand grenades that Billo did to get the panel going.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I switched from tv3 to UTV last night, hoping for better commentary but it was awful, so I switched back to TV3 and found it awful too, gave up turned the sound off and just watched. It was probably just me.

Jim Beglin after Brady got hit in the balls "I think it's one of those in the delicate spot"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Ireland getting roasted by the boys today (rightfully so).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

Ireland getting roasted by the boys today (rightfully so).

Were they? Dunphy backpeddled saying he does think they put 100 per cent commitment in wearing the Ireland jersey but perhaps not week in week out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Arghus wrote: »

So much for that; get him back home before he starts a major international incident!
    ;)

Yeah thanks Tony!

I dont agree with the women Pundits, I know that isnt PC but they have not played at the level they are discussing or close to it. And Stephanie Roche in particular is not even a successful player at that level, she is living of 1 goal scored at less than Sunday League mens level.

I would prefer football journalists or ex players of a low level with an entertaining character if we go down that road. I know Irish TV executives are pushing the "equality" angle but it isnt warranted here. I just switch off, I would imagine many do likewise. But on the plus side Emma Byrne was better than McShane the other time, not sure how he got the gig either. Its a bit ridiculous seeing her on there in between Barton and Andrews

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I dont agree with the women Pundits, I know that isnt PC but they have not played at the level they are discussing or close to it. And Stephanie Roche in particular is not even a successful player at that level, she is living of 1 goal scored at less than Sunday League mens level.

I would prefer football journalists or ex players of a low level with an entertaining character. I know Irish TV executives are pushing the "equality" angle but it isnt warranted here. I just switch off, I would imagine many do likewise. But on the plus side Emma Byrne was better than McShane the other time, not sure how he got the gig either. Its a bit ridiculous seeing her on there in between Barton and Andrews

Bit of a contradiction there. You don't want a female because they haven't played at a high level, yet you'd be happy with a Football Journalist, the vast majority of whom have played at no level.

If Mourinho, Wenger and Klopp etc can do as well as they have at management without having played at a high level, I'm sure there's plenty can talk about it with having done so either. Personally I'd rather Ken Early, Amy Lawerence, Barry Glendenning or Phil McNulty over the likes of Savage, Wrght, Merson or Shearer

Advertisement