Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintaining/building muscle whilst away with work

• 24-05-2016 9:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm away with work now for a number of weeks and am looking for some type of routine that I can preform in preferably my hotel room or a nearby Park.
    I've got no equipment so it would need to be bodyweight only.

Can you guys please recommend some routines for me please?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sonachuocb

Create sequence workouts for arms legs and abs with some cardio. Eg. Step ups, knee ups, jump squats, bumpers, squats, lunge, walking lunges, sumo squats. To add weight just hold something heavy in your hotel room. A dictionary if they have one? :P

Arms and abs could be push-ups,lay down push ups,mountain climbers, commandos, planks, sit ups, leg raises, an bikes.

Also if you an get your hands on a skipping rope.

Good luck :) and maybe enjoy the time away as well even if you are working!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Need to do something as I'm spending long hours on my @rse.

Will these not promote weight loss? I'm trying to gain or maintain what I've currently got.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sonachuocb

If you're eating enough food and protein you should tone up or maintain. It depends on how active you already are. If you aren't already very active then walking should suffice or if you can get to a pool to keep active!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Need to do something as I'm spending long hours on my @rse.

Will these not promote weight loss? I'm trying to gain or maintain what I've currently got.

It's unlikely that you will gain muscle given the lack of facilities at hand. Keep your protein intake on the higher side to give yourself a better chance of maintaining.

Plenty of leg work you can do - Bulgarian split squats, lunges, reverse lunges, one-legged glute bridges. Maybe try pistol squats.

Push-ups or decline push ups if you fancy making them harder.

If there's a sturdy table in the hotel room that won't wall on you, you could do inverted rows.

Planks, side planks, bird dogs.

Plenty to keep you going.

Take the time to work on mobility as well.

Thanks - do I need to keep taking creatine or just the protein?

Would one of these be okay:

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/12/20/the-20-minute-hotel-workout/

http://www.mensfitness.com/training/workout-routines/vacation-workout

Or should I otp for the following which I've drawn up myself based on Alfs reply and the above two links? What sort of times, reps etc should I be doing or can anyone spot any flaws in the below?

Lunges
    Reverge Lunges
    Overhead Squats
    Single Leg Glute Bridge

Inverted Rows
    Push ups
    Decline Push ups

Plank
    Seagull
    Plank Up
    Superman

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine
    Should cover all muscle groups, bodyweight routine. Reps, difficulty is scaleable to ability.

BW squats/lunges aren't much use for building muscle if you are able to knock out 50+ per set

Thanks Mellor - I think I seen you posting that previously. However, I've no access to rings or the ability to do dips, pull ups either in my room. Unless you can tell me how to get around this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Thanks Mellor - I think I seen you posting that previously. However, I've no access to rings or the ability to do dips, pull ups either in my room. Unless you can tell me how to get around this?
    Yeah I've recommended it in the past. I thinks it's a very solid BW routine. I don't follow exactly it myself, but I've incorporated the levers, dips, L-sits into my week.

I was think you might get a pull-up bar in the park nearby. Monkey bars, swings etc. That would cover the pull ups and levers.

For dips, the notes in the routine have some good suggestions.
    What if I don't have parallel bars?
    You can use two chairs to do dips on. Put some weight on the seats if you're afraid of them falling over. Another option is to find a counter top that makes a 90 degree angle, and do dips in that corner. You can also try to find two tables of the same height and do dips that way. Be creative

Even if you can't do pull ups or dips. I'd still follow those progressions for squat, L-sit, push-up, row. In addition to the mobility warm-up, bodyline, and handstand work.

Advertisement