Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bill estimate is far higher than normal - please can you assist?

Options
  • 24-05-2016 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi,

I wonder if you would be able to assist me with the issue that I am currently having?

I have just received my latest bill and it has been estimated at €320! This seems incredibly high, since over the last 9 months, my bill has averages out to around €150.

My usage hasn't changed in the last two months (if anything it would be less since I haven't been using the heating), but the estimate has doubled - is there any way that this can be looked into for me?

I am trying to obtain a meter reading in the meantime, but it's difficult to get hold of the building's caretaker and for some stupid reason our building's electric meters are all locked away in a cupboard that we don't have access to.

Any assistance that you could provide would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Silvara

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

are you sure its an estimate? it could be a reading making up for the estimates being off. I think it usually has an 'e' or a 'r' after the reading on your bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭silvara

salmocab wrote: »
    are you sure its an estimate? it could be a reading making up for the estimates being off. I think it usually has an 'e' or a 'r' after the reading on your bill.

Yes, it says 'your usage was estimated' on the bill.

I was able to provide an exact reading on my last bill so everything was up to date (and only €95 in total since the previous one was also over-estimated)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Electric Ireland: Brige N

Hi silvara,

Thanks for your message.

ESB Networks read all electricity meters, regardless of supplier. They aim to read these meters four times a year, and issue two estimated readings per year, however, the number of estimates may increase depending on the accessibility of the meter, for example, if the meter is locked in a switch room.

Should you receive an accurate reading from your meter we can then correct the reading on your account, through our system. When taking the reading, could you also make note of the RM and Serial number of the meter? We may need this when confirming your reading.

In order for us to access your account further, could you please provide us with the following details by private message?
    • Your full name
    • Your account number
    • The first line of your address
    • Your contact number or date of birth
    • Confirmation you are the account holder (a sentence stating this is sufficient)
    We can then look into your account.

Should you have any questions please let us know.

Thanks,
    Brige

________

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

silvara wrote: »
    salmocab wrote: »

Yes, it says 'your usage was estimated' on the bill.

I was able to provide an exact reading on my last bill so everything was up to date (and only €95 in total since the previous one was also over-estimated)
    The previous tenant was probably growing some weed that month last year.

Hi silvara,

Thanks for your message.

ESB Networks read all electricity meters, regardless of supplier. They aim to read these meters four times a year, and issue two estimated readings per year, however, the number of estimates may increase depending on the accessibility of the meter, for example, if the meter is locked in a switch room.

Should you receive an accurate reading from your meter we can then correct the reading on your account, through our system. When taking the reading, could you also make note of the RM and Serial number of the meter? We may need this when confirming your reading.

In order for us to access your account further, could you please provide us with the following details by private message?
    • Your full name
    • Your account number
    • The first line of your address
    • Your contact number or date of birth
    • Confirmation you are the account holder (a sentence stating this is sufficient)

[*]
    We can then look into your account.

Should you have any questions please let us know.

Thanks,
    Brige

________
    [*]
    Will do thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gl0Rob

silvara wrote: »
    Hi,

I wonder if you would be able to assist me with the issue that I am currently having?

I have just received my latest bill and it has been estimated at 320! This seems incredibly high, since over the last 9 months, my bill has averages out to around 150.

My usage hasn't changed in the last two months (if anything it would be less since I haven't been using the heating), but the estimate has doubled - is there any way that this can be looked into for me?

I am trying to obtain a meter reading in the meantime, but it's difficult to get hold of the building's caretaker and for some stupid reason our building's electric meters are all locked away in a cupboard that we don't have access to.

Any assistance that you could provide would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Silvara

I have heard this happen to a number of people including my mother, next door neighbor plus a few others. All there Bills were estimated nearly double. All had to cancel their direct debits till a new bill was issued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If a bill is estimated, it's as simple as doing a reading yourself and phoning it in.

If a bill is estimated, it's as simple as doing a reading yourself and phoning it in.
    Agreed, but trying to get the letting agency to let me into the locked cupboard where all the meters are located is almost impossible. No matter how much I call them, they never do it and they won't allow me to have the key to do it myself. It's very frustrating! /sigh

Hi silvara,

Thanks for sending us your details by private message.

This has now been added to our queue, and we will look into your account as soon as possible.

Should you have any other questions in the meantime, please let us know.

Thanks,
    Brige

________

Hi gl0Rob,

Thanks for your message.

Should a customer receive an estimated bill, we would advise contacting us directly here on Boards, or through our other social media channels on Facebook or Twitter, in order to provide Electric Ireland with an accurate reading. We can then update the information on the account, and issue a correct bill.

Alternatively, our Customer Service team are available to call on 1850 372 372, and are available from 8am to 8pm, Monday to Saturday, excluding public holidays.

We can also look into delaying any payments due on the account, to prevent a large bill from being deducted while an up-to-date bill is being issued.

We hope this helps. Should you have any other questions please let us know.

Thanks,
    Brige

________

• Advertisement
Advertisement