Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I cut back neighbours bush?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

There exists a legal right for passers-by to pick fruit off trees growing on private property, but only as far as they can reach without entering said property. By extension, I would say that you are free to cut back branches overhanging the public roadway.

Would be very interested to see where it mentions that in the statute books, can you provide a link, otherwise what you suggest would be theft.

As it stands in law should you prune a neighbours branches off, you have to offer them back to the neighbour as the branches are the neighbours property, So the same would apply should the neighbours permission be obtained to remove branches from the public roadway by a member of the public. This implies to me that you would have to offer fruit back too, when asking permission to remove it.

Advertisement