Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run Garage from Esb Box ?

Options
  • 24-05-2016 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Can you run a cable from the mains (ESB) connection to a new fuse board in the garage ?

Looking to put sockets, lights and run electric gates from it. Distance of about 10 ft between house and garage as opposed to 60ft from where consumer unit is in house.

What sort of cable would you run ?. All ducting in place

I am quite happy to run the cables my self and get a sparks to actually make the connections.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Can you run a cable from the mains (ESB) connection to a new fuse board in the garage ?

Looking to put sockets, lights and run electric gates from it. Distance of about 10 ft between house and garage as opposed to 60ft from where consumer unit is in house.

What sort of cable would you run ?. All ducting in place

I am quite happy to run the cables my self and get a sparks to actually make the connections.

Thanks

Not really the way to do it.

The ESB meter (installed in the meter cabinet) should supply the main distribution board. In your case this would be the DB that supplies your house.

However a main distribution board may feed a sub-distribution board(s) which could be for a garage and / or shed.

All of this work would have to be certified to comply with the law and the regulations (ET101:2008). This will mean employing the services of a registered electrical contractor.

There is a bit more to running cables than meets the eye. There a a number of regulations that deal with how cables are run / installed as well as the suitability of different cable types for each application. Additionally a calculation should be carried out (or experience used) to determine optimal cable sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭coolhandluke

2011 wrote: »
    Not really the way to do it.

The ESB meter (installed in the meter cabinet) should supply the main distribution board. In your case this would be the DB that supplies your house.

However a main distribution board may feed a sub-distribution board(s) which could be for a garage and / or shed.

All of this work would have to be certified to comply with the law and the regulations (ET101:2008). This will mean employing the services of a registered electrical contractor.

There is a bit more to running cables than meets the eye. There a a number of regulations that deal with how cables are run / installed as well as the suitability of different cable types for each application. Additionally a calculation should be carried out (or experience used) to determine optimal cable sizes.

Thanking you for your reply, I was fully intending on getting a sparks to do the job, it would just be far less hassle to wire from the supply to the garage as it is directly across from the box as opposed to the MDB which is at the far end of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭coolhandluke

Spoke to electrician on this, anyway given the choice between running a cable an extra 50ft or getting the esb involved he reckons run the cable evertime, not worth the hassle or cost.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Mod note: Please read the forum Charter before posting.

In particular this bit:

Can I promote or advertise a business or organization here?

In short, no. Advertising for free is not permitted on boards. Frequent "plugging" of a commercial enterprise, organization or product is not permitted.

However, as it is appreciated that many professionals offer advice here FOC, if you wish to post a discreet link in your signature, that is not a problem. Please note that a sticky is now in place on the forum, where contractors who are also Boards.ie members may be listed. Drop a PM to the mods if you would like to be included on this list. No discussion of work carried out at cash prices allowed.

See link:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055192317

Advertisement