Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi!! Advice on my gaming build?

Options
  • 24-05-2016 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

I've been trying to figure out whether I want an AMD processor vs an Intel one. I don't need a high spec PC for amazing gaming, I'll be playing games that are a few years old via steam. Games like left for dead, witcher, amnesia etc

Setup:
    CPU Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor (130e)
    Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 (62e)
    Team Group Elite 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 (40e)
    Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM (45e)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card (130e)
    Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (65e)
    Corsair Builder 500W (54e)

I have done a rough approx price of around (550e) I think.
    Also - any recommendations or preferences on where to buy from???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Buying from mindfactory you'd be able to upgrade the GPU to a 950 atleast.

I'd keep Intel, more upgrades if your gaming priorities change.

750Ti or 950 will play pretty much every game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Smiley012

Wow! You weren't kidding!

Mindfactory knocked so much more money off my build, I just didn't sort a case...

https://www.mindfactory.de/shopping_cart.php/basket_action/load_basket_extern/id/bc568f2215f7d66824b9b0b0c237df5ed27658ff5fb8608bb39

Can anyone recommend a case?

You need DDR4 RAM, not DDR3.

Head for amazon and have a look I suppose, budget maybe 50 pounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Isn't the 7xx series no longer supported?

No new drivers yeah but that only leaves new AAAs out anyways, for which a 750Ti isn't optimal anyways.

He's going for a 950 anyways I believe

• Advertisement

No new drivers yeah but that only leaves new AAAs out anyways, for which a 750Ti isn't optimal anyways.

He's going for a 950 anyways I believe

"She" is going for a 950 yes, could that motherboard handle a better one? Would it be good for games like the original witcher?

I'm also keen to have something that doesn't sound like a helicopter taking off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

The Original Witcher will run of the integrated GPU on the CPU tbh - I run it on my i3 laptop.

'She' - did you find a pink case :pac:

The Original Witcher will run of the integrated GPU on the CPU tbh - I run it on my i3 laptop.

'She' - did you find a pink case :pac:

Hahaha don't be so stereotypical! I want a case with a skull on it!

Actually, on a serious note, I am looking for a case for that set up. Also, do you think that motherboard is decent enough? Would I be worth while spending anymore on a better one?

Apologies OP :P meant no harm!

Unless you need a motherboard for a specific purpose then they're all the same, so I wouldn't bother with a more feature packed one as most won't be used.

i3+950 can play The Witcher 3 no problems, this PC will be a trooper for pretty much everything for the rest of this year and any older games

What's the budget on the case?

• Advertisement

Not a worry at all, I'm never offended! Happens more often than not.

So, I'm looking to get a case from Mindfactory probably (unless you know of somewhere local, or better?) for around E50-E70.

You've saved me around E100 by recommending Mindfactory over overclockers, so this is awesome! Thank you :)

No worries, you're very welcome

For that, I'd say you'd fit a Nanoxia DS3 or a nice Fractal

Has hearing the power of this PC changed the gaming priorities anything?

Hasn't changed the priorities, it's just blown my mind!! I'm super pumped about it!

Would a cooling thingy over the processor be a good idea too? Or does the i3 come with one?

Is that a dumb question? hah.

Its a good idea yeah, you'll need one to get further than the Windows Login!

The i3 comes with one though, you won't need a custom one or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I've a Thermaltake Core V21 I'd be willing to let go for cheap, PM me if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Buy the case from Amazon - cases are where mindfactory savings vanish. Also, wait the couple of days to see what AMD's E150-E200 option might be. It'd be a right pain in the hoop to buy a 950 and have it's value drop within the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jo Satan

I have the Core V21, its a nice simple understated case with plenty of flexibilty in terms of layout and placement of drives and fans.
    I've had it for five months and had no dust to speak of inside it.
    It comes with a 200m intake fan, I would add a 140mm fan for the exhaust
    The i3-6100 comes with a stock cooler which will do the job, it is a little noisey when the cpu is at full whack but chances are you won't hear it over the cries of your enemies

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I've a Thermaltake Core V21 I'd be willing to let go for cheap, PM me if interested.
    I have PM'd you!
    grindle wrote: »
    Buy the case from Amazon - cases are where mindfactory savings vanish. Also, wait the couple of days to see what AMD's E150-E200 option might be. It'd be a right pain in the hoop to buy a 950 and have it's value drop within the week.
    So, is that a new Graphic's card? I don't know much about anything, but if I can save some money, that's good. When is it being announced?
    Jo Satan wrote: »
    I have the Core V21, its a nice simple understated case with plenty of flexibilty in terms of layout and placement of drives and fans.
    I've had it for five months and had no dust to speak of inside it.
    It comes with a 200m intake fan, I would add a 140mm fan for the exhaust
    The i3-6100 comes with a stock cooler which will do the job, it is a little noisey when the cpu is at full whack but chances are you won't hear it over the cries of your enemies
    This is great to know, I've looked at the case, looks like it would suit what I want!

Even if they're only announced next week, could be 2 months before they're on sale, worth the wait OP?

Could go for a cheap 750 or 570 now and then upgrade in time if you want

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Smiley012 wrote: »
    So, is that a new Graphic's card? I don't know much about anything, but if I can save some money, that's good. When is it being announced?

This wouldn't really be about saving money, more about getting a better card for the same money.
    If you wait until June 1st you'll know whether it's worth waiting another fortnight or not (that's generally the time-gap from AMD's press launch to a street release). Depends on how aggressive AMD decide to be.
    If the release is too far away, you haven't lost much and Nvidia could drop the price of the 950 to 750ti-levels to lash back at AMD.

• Advertisement

Sorry to revive this again, I've decided to swap out the HDD I was going to get, and just get an SSD instead.

So, I don't store much on my computers, space isn't an issue. I was thinking of going for a 240GB SSD.

Mindfactory is hard to navigate around, but would I be looking at around e100 for this?

Here is my build

Any thoughts?

Revive all you like, it's your money, budget wisely until you're happy.

Should be able to get a 240 for €60-70

That's good to know!

I'm also continuously tossing up between 2 x 4gb stick of ram, or 1 x 8gb, and get another 8gb in a couple of months time.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Akingbade

Smiley012 wrote: »
    That's good to know!

I'm also continuously tossing up between 2 x 4gb stick of ram, or 1 x 8gb, and get another 8gb in a couple of months time.

Thoughts?
    8gb if you do plan on wanting more ram later if not then then 2 x4gb is fine. I'd personally pick the former option, having the option to install another ram if needed it worth going single for now.

2x4, you won't need 16gb for quite a while

Advertisement